in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-27-2008 12:08 PM by wonderfulelectric. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2008 11:36 AM

5.1 Audio? ... or too advanced for my B&O.

I have a non-B&O TV and DVD (which has HDMI and 5.1 audio output) - like every cheap store brand these days.

I have the DVD stereo output connected to my BS3200 via the Ax input which is then connected to a pair of BL8K and BL2.

Is there anyway to take advantage of the advances in output from modern video systems?

or do I have to bypass the BS3200 altogether and get a separate A/V amp and use the output to the B&O speakers (either as passive speakers - which of course defeats their purpose - or as actives via some type of line output).

Or do I put the whole thing up on ebay and get some Sony, Pioneer, MacIntosh, etc.......

or do I convince my brain that "stereo" (left, right, and sub) is better than 5.1/7.1/HDMI/Optical Input-Output/etc......

-michael 

• 10-26-2008 11:51 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: 5.1 Audio? ... or too advanced for my B&O.

How about an Avant?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-26-2008 12:25 PM In reply to

1.  How would that answer my question?

2.  Much too expensive.

.....maybe I have gone down a dead end path in how I have set up my A/V system 

• 10-26-2008 12:39 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

An Avant would allow you to do surround sound with your current BeoLabs.

I would hardly call an Avant expensive. An Avant + a pair of 4000s can cost a little as £2000 on the second hand market. I wouldn't really want to compromise what you own already...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-26-2008 12:47 PM In reply to

I live in the U.S. - there is no second hand market
  • 10-26-2008 1:10 PM In reply to

www.ebay.com  then search bang & olufsen
  • 10-26-2008 1:53 PM In reply to

Or you have Lifestyle-av , morethanav and iconic-av.

All of them are British but they ship world wide ...

I just bought BC1 from Lifestyle-av and I'm more than Happy !!! I received 2 years old TV like brand new !

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 10-26-2008 2:41 PM In reply to

mfirst:

THE BIGGEST consumer market in the world, and no SH market? Please  

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 10-26-2008 3:18 PM In reply to

bayerische:

mfirst:

THE BIGGEST consumer market in the world, and no SH market? Please  

Except for ebay, there is virtually no second hand market for B&O in the US.  The Bang & Olufsen brand is largely unknown in the US except maybe in the recent Batman movie.  B&O stores are usually in large cities if at all and the greatest difficulty is getting repairs.  I wouldn't buy an Avant unless it was from a dealer which is unlikely or it is free which is even more unlikely.

Your right there are plenty of places to buy everything else. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-26-2008 4:11 PM In reply to

You will have no 5.1 either way with a surround processor or without one cos you only have a pair of loudspeakers and a subwoofer. Maybe you can use the current B&O system in your bedroom or study etc... And just get an affordable set of surround speakers from Anthony Gallo and pair it up with a denon receiver? If I am not wrong, the demand for second hand B&O is very small in the US so you will be looking at selling them at a great loss and the replacement surround system that you are planning to get on a budget will not sound as good as your current 2.1 B&O system with normal music. 
  • 10-26-2008 5:44 PM In reply to

The second hand market in the US is limited to ebay - and I have had several bad experiences, particularly with B&O.  I have spoke to Lee about shipping to the U.S. and the expenses are clearly not practical - especially for something like a TV.  The B&O TVs in the U.S. are not a reasonable financial option as we have discussed many times.  I clearly realize that my 2.1 would require additional speakers to take advantage of advance DVD audio - and that is my question..... what are those options, other than simply master/powerlinking in a couple of more speakers.  My understanding is that adding more B&O would give me 2L+2R+sub....not true surround sound (or even 5.1?) - and does it really matter?

and yes, the Americans are the world leaders in consuming, but not recycling/reusing.

-michael 

• 10-26-2008 7:14 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Unfortunately it does matter massively. 2L + 2R isn't surround sound, it's just more stereo. There are many, many reasons why this will do little more than open up a whole pandora's box of acoustic issues...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-27-2008 1:51 AM In reply to

mfirst:

The second hand market in the US is limited to ebay - and I have had several bad experiences, particularly with B&O.  I have spoke to Lee about shipping to the U.S. and the expenses are clearly not practical - especially for something like a TV.  The B&O TVs in the U.S. are not a reasonable financial option as we have discussed many times.  I clearly realize that my 2.1 would require additional speakers to take advantage of advance DVD audio - and that is my question..... what are those options, other than simply master/powerlinking in a couple of more speakers.  My understanding is that adding more B&O would give me 2L+2R+sub....not true surround sound (or even 5.1?) - and does it really matter?

and yes, the Americans are the world leaders in consuming, but not recycling/reusing.

-michael 

I guess you got yourself in a sticky situation huh. Maybe try going on ebay and bid for a beosystem 3 and take it from there and try bidding more matching loudspeakers later. You do need the latest surround processor to take advantage of DVD-A.

• 10-27-2008 5:35 AM In reply to

it sounds like the limitations are the bs3200.  What about using the beolabs (8k and 2) and a couple of additional speakers placed in the back..... any thoughts on how that can work?
  • 10-27-2008 6:15 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

You would essentially have to almost completely bypass the BeoSound 3200. It would involve using a brand-x surround sound receiver to do the decoding, and plugging the BeoLabs into the pre-outs. You would essentially end up with a system which behaves just like a brand-x system...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-27-2008 7:41 AM In reply to

Hi,

Indeed living in North-America makes it a lot harder to find second-hand B&O gear. Living in Canada myself, B&O is mainly concentrated on Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver ...... and that's basically it. Most of my stuff comes from ebay or bought new in the store.

Anyways...The answer to my problem was the B&O AV7000 surround sound processor (look it up on this site) . A steal at nearly $100 on ebay. It's fully compatible with all B&O gear, you can plug in your Beosound and connect your speakers with the powerlinks. All commanded by the beo4 remote.

The quality will not be the latest version of super duper exotic surround (no dts etc...) but works more than good enough as most movies are dolby B compatible anyways wich this nifty little unit supports.

These units are becoming rare these days and harder to find so it might take a while before one shows up on ebay.

Hope this is of help to you

Regards

Cooldude

• 10-27-2008 8:15 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

You have 2 paths to travel here.  If you'd like to stay on the B&O path, then you can look around for a used BeoSystem 1, or perhaps a BeoSystem 3.  Both are available, and if you comb the North American shops, you ought to be able to find one with at least some warranty available.  BeoSystem 1's are getting rarer by the moment, but they're cheap when available, BeoSystem 3's get snapped up pretty quickly.  At this point, although even more affordable, I'd skip the AV-7000.  It is far too dated.

You could also do as you've suggested, and go with a non B&O AV processor.  All the major brands will offer receivers with pre-amp outputs for your BeoLab speakers.  In addition you'll want the 5-pin DIN to 4 RCA female Aux. adaptor, which will allow you to attach your BS-3200 to the receiver as if it were just a CD player.

In either case, you'll need a center channer, and 2 rear speakers, or you're really wasting your time.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-27-2008 9:14 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd look for a BeoSystem 3 ideally! Huge step ahead of what else is available on the market. You may find the BeoSystem 1 limited to say the least, when it comes to HD capability.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-27-2008 10:11 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

wonderfulelectric:

I guess you got yourself in a sticky situation huh. Maybe try going on ebay and bid for a beosystem 3 and take it from there and try bidding more matching loudspeakers later. You do need the latest surround processor to take advantage of DVD-A.

When Michael mentioned DVD audio, I'm pretty certain that he meant 5.1 for his movie watching.  The only folks interested in DVD-A are the anoraks who have equipment with XLR connectors.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-27-2008 12:08 PM In reply to

Hey!!! I have equipments with XLR connectors but I am not into 5.1. But you have to agree that HD-audio compatible processors are the way to go no? I mean with the Blu-Ray and HD-audio downloads etc... it's gonna be dumb not to get one that is compatible with these formats. BTW this is the 2010s, geeks are in. lol 
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)