in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-26-2008 1:08 PM by Jack73343. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-25-2008 3:39 AM

Help! Humming on Beomaster 2400

Hi there all beoworlders, I'm new here on the forum and new to B&O. I got my grandfarther's old Boegram 1203 and Beomaster 2400 after he passed on, collected old records from house friends and my parents, and its superb! I love it to bits!!

Except for the fact that this piece of equipment is extremely nostalgic and beautiful, it seems to be making a humming noise (Similar to the sound that an electric transformer box would make) and I don’t know what to do about it. The sound was there for about a month and then one day all was gone, only to my despise, it returned. At first I thought it was the Beogram 1203 or something else, but the noise is present on all channels with all inputs disconnected. I have read somewhere else of the exact same problem on the Beomaster 2400 but could not reach a solution. If there is anyone out there that can assist me or has had the same problem, as I want to get back to the pure nostalgia and gratification of my records.

Oh and another question, how would I connect the Beogram 1203 (To preamp or not??) or the Beomaster 2400 to my PC in order to get all my records on .mp3? Din to jack cable?

Oh and really, this is the last question, on the Beogram 1203, there is a little turn dial knob on the left hand back bottom where the motor is situated, what is the function of the turn dial and what does it do?

Thanx so much in advance!

Cheers Jacques

Keep the passion!!

• 10-25-2008 3:59 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Re: Help! Humming on Beomaster 2400

I have a Beomaster 2400-2 and they are indeed very stylish. Mine also had a hum, actually a terrible hum. It was the capacitors. You have to replace all the eletrolytic capacitors as they dry out or leak with age. It will solve the problem. Its a big job and you need to have good soldering abilities.

A capacitor kit is available from Dillen on this forum.

Good Luck

Durban South Africa

• 10-25-2008 4:53 AM In reply to

Jack73343:

Oh and another question, how would I connect the Beogram 1203 (To preamp or not??) or the Beomaster 2400 to my PC in order to get all my records on .mp3? Din to jack cable?

Yes, you can use the Beomaster as a preamp by connecting the tape output to line in on your PC. You will need an adapter cable that goes from the DIN connector to the jack - generic "mp3 player to B&O" cables are the other way. Unless you want to build or modify the cable yourself, it might be easier to find a DIN to 4xRCA adapter which works both ways, and then a 2xRCA to 3.5mm plug cable from there to the PC. Or get two of the latter, and you can listen to your PC through the Beomaster as well. See the pic.

Audacity is a popular and free piece of software for the actual recording and track editing.

The knob on your Beogram is, I believe, for fine tuning the rotational speed. That's a great looking turntable - if I ever need a third one, that design is what I'll be after!

-mika

• 10-26-2008 1:08 PM In reply to

Thanx so much guys, can't wait to start recording and get the Beomaster fixed!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)