in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-27-2008 4:37 AM by Puncher. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-22-2008 3:54 PM

BV7-40mk3 vs original BV9 mk1 720p

Any thoughts on the relative merits of one over the other? Will the 720p panel in the BV9 be much of a step down compared to the 1080p in the 7-40?
  • 10-22-2008 7:18 PM In reply to

Re: BV7-40mk3 vs original BV9 mk1 720p

Both have spectacular pictures. We looked at a BV9 720p, BV9 1080p and the BV7-40 MKIII. We chose the 7 as we liked the design better and were not comfortable with viewing the 9 angled. The angle does not bother most people but it did us and having tried to watch the 7 tilted at a similiar angle I am very happy with our decision. The 7 will seem brighter and I am probably in the minority but I think it has the better picture. The size of the 9 however is a strong argument in its favor.  It is also much easier to manage all of the wired behind a 9. There is no good way to completely conceal wires and wall outlets behind the 7.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-23-2008 3:50 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

IMO, the advantage of 1080p is debatable even on a 50" - you really need 65" upwards before it starts becoming a real advantage.

I personally would ask if you can see the two side-by-side displaying exactly the same signal (carried in the same way, HDMI or Component to BOTH, not one to the other etc...), and then make your choice. This is of course assuming you have no preference over the design and other features of the two (built in DVD on BV7, ability to hold the up-coming BeoMaster 5 in the BeoVision 9 etc...).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-23-2008 12:28 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies. 

There wont be any issues with blu-ray on the 720p screen i.e. loss of quality?

• 10-23-2008 1:22 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

rmclachlan:

Thanks for the replies. 

There wont be any issues with blu-ray on the 720p screen i.e. loss of quality?

I dont think its wise to get caught up in the 1080v720 debate. On a 50 in screen there is so little difference that to appreciate the very small change you would need to sit on top of the screen. 1080 is marketing hype to sell more tvs.

Its all about the source- most things these days look good on HD- even cheap LCDs.

But the failings of LCD technology even with the latest high quality offerings you have the same problems

They dont handle motion well.

the colour palate is incorrect.

blacks are not very good

SD tends to be very poor

So if you watch a lot of blue ray and proper hidef ( not the rubbish BBC put out most of the time) then probably not much difference except a certain lack of depth with LCD and if your watching movies a 40in screen is to small for sure.

If you watch a lot of Standard definition TV I find it amazing that anyone could prefer the image you get even on a quality LCD panel- I mean the latest ones- not the outdated B&O panels.

• 10-23-2008 3:00 PM In reply to

355f having said that, the BV7-40 MKIII Picture is not bad at all IMHO, but I would go with his reasoning and I prefer Plasma generally.
  • 10-23-2008 3:24 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

KingOfSnake:
    355f having said that, the BV7-40 MKIII Picture is not bad at all IMHO, but I would go with his reasoning and I prefer Plasma generally.

I  fully agree with you but for £9050 is -'not bad' accetable!

• 10-23-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

Standard definition looks excellent on BV7 in my opinion, as do the blacks. Comparing the two side by side in our dealer we found the blacks and overall picture better on the BV7.

• 10-23-2008 5:44 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Oh 355f, we are going to disagree, once again :)

Although the BV9 is superb, myself and others agree that the reds in any plasma image are too deep for the picture and a good quality LCD (think BV7-40) will show them more naturally.

I agree that some HD pictures can be a little 'pixel perfect' on the BV7-40 and can look more smoothed on the BV9, but the BV7-40 shows blacks very deeply and has few issues with fast moving images.

I've yet to see a picture better than a Blu-ray on my BV7-40. Yes, it's very expensive, but as we're discussing this on a B&O-orientated board and it's hardly a shock, is it?

• 10-23-2008 8:50 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The BV9 is going to look much better in the long run (aesthetically, and as an all in one package)

I have a thing against wires showing too, they really bother me - so i would automatically go for the BV9. I strongly dislike the BV7 in the B&o range. I think technologically & price wise, it's a bit of an embarrassing product.

It is stunning compared to the neighbours LCD telly, but the BV9 has the staggering presence and natural picture.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-23-2008 9:52 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Oh 355f, we are going to disagree, once again :)

Although the BV9 is superb, myself and others agree that the reds in any plasma image are too deep for the picture and a good quality LCD (think BV7-40) will show them more naturally.

I agree that some HD pictures can be a little 'pixel perfect' on the BV7-40 and can look more smoothed on the BV9, but the BV7-40 shows blacks very deeply and has few issues with fast moving images.

I've yet to see a picture better than a Blu-ray on my BV7-40. Yes, it's very expensive, but as we're discussing this on a B&O-orientated board and it's hardly a shock, is it?

Reds to deep on a plasma! its only lcd that has cartoon colours!

Well in the end the purchaser has to decide what is best for them and with an open mind decide if the LCD image is generally better than plasma. LCD doesnt handle movment well and the bv7 is no exception.

Would be nice to hear what the original poster decides!

• 10-24-2008 2:50 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Dave:

The BV9 is going to look much better in the long run (aesthetically, and as an all in one package)

I have a thing against wires showing too, they really bother me

Don't link up your TVs then. I didn't realise this, but when B&O connected my BV7-40 to the BV8-26, you have to have a 'link box' and various aerial cables. Result is a cable mess.

Why can't B&O build this kind of stuff in to their larger TVs?

• 10-24-2008 3:01 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Dave:

I strongly dislike the BV7 in the B&o range. I think technologically & price wise, it's a bit of an embarrassing product.

Perhaps, but it's also the current best-selling B&O TV and was a key reason that helped B&O ride the earlier downturn. If it wasn't for the BV7, I've been told that B&O would have been struggling far far earlier...

• 10-24-2008 3:54 AM In reply to

i love the BV7-40... im watching SD via DVB-T (French TNT) and its great.

The only issue i have is sometimes the panning or ffast moving things make my eyes a bit twitchy... i feel like im not sure if its me or the tv. but that doesnt happen often.

Personally, i think that its got style as well, when its off, the black glass covers the whole screen and makes it look like there is no boarders, i.e. top of the tv is black and bottom is silver.

I found that with the Plasma Tvs, they are boring, just plain flat and must be wall mounted which i didnt want. 

• 10-24-2008 8:11 AM In reply to

Dave:

I have a thing against wires showing too, they really bother me - so i would automatically go for the BV9. I strongly dislike the BV7 in the B&o range. I think technologically & price wise, it's a bit of an embarrassing product.

As for technology it is the same processor as the BV9. As for price, subtract the price of a Beosystem 3 from the price of a BV7, then subtract the price of a high quality DVD player, the amount left will be about the same as for a high quality LCD from Samsung or other similiar competitor. Add in the price of a motorized stand and a Beolab 7-4 and the price is still less than 3/4 that of the BV9. For that price one receives the added functionality of an integrated DVD player and the the ability to tilt the TV forward and back, not just sideways. The picture size of the 7 is 80% of the 9. Looking at that way the price is a bargain compared to the 9 and the technology is identical, except for plasma verses LCD.

• 10-24-2008 9:01 AM In reply to

Hehe; Rawlaw has dropped the bomb :) ll of a suddent, you made it feel cheap; thinking whether i should get another one.... not :) hehe
  • 10-24-2008 10:30 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

As for price, subtract the price of a Beosystem 3 from the price of a BV7, then subtract the price of a high quality DVD player

I don't go along with that argument. The Beosystem 3 is way overpriced. You can't really just say 'take off the price..' and then it becomes a 'bargain'. What does the Beosystem 3 do that, say, the technology that's built in to a basic Pioneer Kuro can't do? ie. what would you miss.

Also, it's just a bog-standard basic SD DVD player. Nothing high-quality about that. It's pure speculation.

However, on a B&O board, there's little point discussing the prices of the products. They've never gone down. Nothing has changed. It's not likely to change soon.

• 10-24-2008 11:51 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Razlaw:

As for price, subtract the price of a Beosystem 3 from the price of a BV7, then subtract the price of a high quality DVD player

I don't go along with that argument. The Beosystem 3 is way overpriced. You can't really just say 'take off the price..' and then it becomes a 'bargain'. What does the Beosystem 3 do that, say, the technology that's built in to a basic Pioneer Kuro can't do? ie. what would you miss.

Also, it's just a bog-standard basic SD DVD player. Nothing high-quality about that. It's pure speculation.

However, on a B&O board, there's little point discussing the prices of the products. They've never gone down. Nothing has changed. It's not likely to change soon.

ah we agree on something!

I mentioned in an earlier post that at the moment I have a pioneer 5090 plasma im playing with- its side by side to my BV4.

The Pioneer is better in every way- and all processing in the panel.

• 10-24-2008 12:31 PM In reply to

moxxey:
    Razlaw:

The point of the post was not the value of B and O compared to other products. The point was value of the BV7 compared to the value of the BV9. 

As for what does the BS 3 do that the Kuro does not, I did not realize that the Kuro did surround sound processing, I did not realize that the Kuro can operate two display sources, I did not know that the Kuro would process music from a CD player or other source connected to it, I did not know that the Kuro could be used to dim lights, I did not know that the Kuro would know to turn on two speakers for CDs and 5 for DVDs and HDTV.  But I must confess, I have only taken the time to read the reference manual on the BS3 and BV7, not the Kuro.  I guess if the Kuro does all of those things the Pioneer Elite receivers are for those who bought other lesser brands without the amazing talents of the Kuro.

• 10-24-2008 12:47 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    moxxey:
    Razlaw:

The point of the post was not the value of B and O compared to other products. The point was value of the BV7 compared to the value of the BV9. 

As for what does the BS 3 do that the Kuro does not, I did not realize that the Kuro did surround sound processing, I did not realize that the Kuro can operate two display sources, I did not know that the Kuro would process music from a CD player or other source connected to it, I did not know that the Kuro could be used to dim lights, I did not know that the Kuro would know to turn on two speakers for CDs and 5 for DVDs and HDTV.  But I must confess, I have only taken the time to read the reference manual on the BS3 and BV7, not the Kuro.  I guess if the Kuro does all of those things the Pioneer Elite receivers are for those who bought other lesser brands without the amazing talents of the Kuro.

The original; question was about the difference between LCD and plasma not about the sound or if one can play a  BS9000 through it and get HD audio- NOT

its true the kuro does not have a cheap dvd player inbuilt - must get one for $100.

• 10-24-2008 3:36 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

its true the kuro does not have a cheap dvd player inbuilt - must get one for $100.

That's expensive. You can get one for far less than that.

Razlaw - if you need those BS3 'features', fantastic. Most people do not and simply want to watch TV. Hence why they prefer a non-B&O system.

• 10-24-2008 4:59 PM In reply to

355f:
    Razlaw:
    moxxey:
    Razlaw:

The original; question was about the difference between LCD and plasma not about the sound or if one can play a  BS9000 through it and get HD audio- NOT

The original question was NOT as you say LCD verses plasma. It was BV7 verses BV9 720p. The differences between the two encompass many more factors than LCD verses plasma. That is the topic I responded to until someone misunderstood my post and decided to interject the Kuro for some unknown and irrelevant to the thread reason. I merely responded to the irrelevant post. Could you please direct me to the post about playing a BS9000 through the BS3 and getting HD audio that you reference? I missed that post or thread.  Sounds like it would be entertaining to read.  Thanks!

• 10-24-2008 5:00 PM In reply to

moxxey:
    355f:

That's expensive. You can get one for far less than that.

Razlaw - if you need those BS3 'features', fantastic. Most people do not and simply want to watch TV. Hence why they prefer a non-B&O system.

LOL  

• 10-24-2008 6:08 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

'This post is going the same way as the HD audio thread. Everyone 'misunderstands ' apart from you of course!

Will leave you to your own interpretation of the facts razlaw.

Enjoy your class leading bv7 LOL

• 10-24-2008 6:19 PM In reply to

355f:

'This post is going the same way as the HD audio thread. Everyone 'misunderstands ' apart from you of course!

Will leave you to your own interpretation of the facts razlaw.

Enjoy your class leading bv7 LOL

I was not interpreting facts. I was merely responding to a post in a thread entitled  "BV7-40mk3 vs original BV9 mk1 720p",  and was comparing and giving my opinion on the two, in terms of function and price, directly responding to the topic.

Thank you for acknowledging that the BV7 is class leading. Glad to finally hear you say something positive about B and O. Wink

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >