in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-21-2008 10:22 PM by darioazul. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-21-2008 3:27 AM

B&O Statement Today

Bang & Olufsen A/S Company Announcement Bang & Olufsen rolls out
    2008-10-21 07:01:51.450 GMT

Bang & Olufsen A/S Company Announcement Bang & Olufsen rolls out overall
                                    strategy plan

The management of Bang & Olufsen is rolling out an overall strategy plan for
     the Group's future development and operations.

The aim of the strategy plan is to make sure that Bang & Olufsen:

1. Focuses on product development in order for Bang & Olufsen to concentrate
     on fewer product categories, i.e. primarily audio and video products.

2. Builds one common digital technology platform as the future technological
     foundation for the Group's products across its product portfolio.

3. Ensures more effective support for, and development of, Bang & Olufsen's
     dealer network by creating one general global sales organisation.

4. Increases the number of shops in growth markets.

5. Adjusts costs by DKK 160 million to achieve short-term profitability.

6. Appoints a new management team for the Group.

1. Focus on product development: Bang & Olufsen will focus on the development
     of audio and video products as well as sound systems for cars. These areas have
     traditionally driven the Group's activities and have been its most important
     turnover generator as well as contributing to the creation of the unique Bang &
     Olufsen brand across the world.

Bang & Olufsen, therefore, will no longer develop products within categories
     such as mobile telephony, mp3 players and stand-alone systems like DVD2 and
     HDR2. The Group will also cease its involvement with new co-branded products.
     Existing products will, of course, continue to be fully supported.

Instead, focus will be on reinforcing the Group's unique brand through the
     creation of innovative high quality audio and video products as well as sound
     systems for the automotive industry. The forthcoming digital audio product,
     scheduled for launch in November, is an excellent example of one such
     innovative product.

With the BeoLiving concept, Bang & Olufsen offers an unrivalled concept in
     terms of total solutions for sound and picture and other technical
     installations in the home. The Group intends to develop and refine this concept
     even further into real Home Integration. This will allow users, through their
     Bang & Olufsen remote control, to control everything from sound and picture to
     curtains and air-conditioning etc, an area that is showing considerable growth
     around the world. As a natural progression, Bang & Olufsen also intends to
     focus more on solutions and products adapted to individual customers'
     requirements.

The management will also maintain the successful development of exclusive sound
     systems for cars. Sales of these systems are seeing a highly positive
     development and have reached a stage where management regards the segment as
     part of the Group's core business.

2. Build a common, digital technology platform: Through more efficient
     utilisation of existing technologies and the targetted development of one
     general, future digital technology platform, Bang & Olufsen will not only
     achieve faster, but also more efficient product development. In the course of
     two to three years, this new digital technology platform will lay the
     foundation for all newly developed Bang & Olufsen products. Until then, the
     consolidation of the current technology platforms will ensure faster and more
     efficient development of high quality products from 2009.

3. One general global sales organisation: Bang & Olufsen will continue to
     expand its current shop concept. With immediate effect, the management will
     initiate a process aimed at creating a more efficient global sales
     organisation. Until now, the Group's seven regional sales organisations
     worldwide have operated as independent units with their own back office and
     service functions. To ensure a consistent approach and respect for the whole,
     the management is centralising global responsibilities and, as a result,
     implementing a range of efficiency measures.

The strategy plan comprises two further main components:

• The management intends to direct greater focus on the dealerships so that
     dealers with the strongest growth potential will take centre stage. Other
     dealers will also be given renewed attention when resources are available.
     There will also be focus on establishing a uniform sales system with clear
     guidelines, action plans and follow-up tools.

• The management intends to upgrade, and, more importantly, professionalise,
     the sales system. These measures will include a further development of the
     present sales staff into an international sales team of dynamic retail
     consultants with expertise within sales promotion, based on experiences with
     the best sales promoting initiatives within the global organisation. The
     ambition is for all Bang & Olufsen shops around the world to offer their
     customers a memorable experience of sound, picture, quality, professionalism
     and service-mindedness.

4. More shops in growth markets: The management intends to open more B1-shops
     in world markets with the strongest economic growth. Over the next two years,
     the aim is to more than double the number of B1 shops in key growth markets
     e.g. Russia and China. Other growth markets will also be subject to an
     aggressive growth policy.

5. Cost adjustments: Bang & Olufsen is implementing a DKK 160 million cost
     reduction programme for the current financial year compared to the activities
     envisaged at the beginning of the year. The purpose is to adjust the cost level
     to the Group's new and lower turnover level of recent months. Bang & Olufsen,
     however, will remain a dynamic organisation and the Group will maintain its
     high activity levels for product development despite the adjustments.

As part of the cost reductions, the Group has, as of today, abolished in the
     region of 300 jobs. As a result, 165 employees have been made redundant while
     the remaining positions will remain unfilled etc.

Other elements in the savings plan include reductions in the purchase of
     external services.

6. New management team: To secure the successful implementation of the new
     strategy plan, the Board of Directors and the Group's CEO have appointed a new
     management team which, together with the CEO, will assume responsibility for
     transforming the plan into action, rapidly, efficiently and accurately.

Bang & Olufsen's Management Board will consist solely of President & CEO Karl
     Kristian Hvidt Nielsen who took up his position on August 1 this year.

The management layer below the Management Board will comprise:

• Senior Vice President, Finance & Accounting, Randi Toftlund,
     • Senior Vice President, Operations, John Bennett-Therkildsen and
     • Senior Vice President, Sales, Michael Aagaard Andersen.

The Management team will be also be supplemented by a further two positions:
     • A high-capacity individual with expertise in international brand marketing and
     • A highly-qualified expert who can meet the challenge of taking overall charge
     of Bang & Olufsen's product development.

Based on his qualifications and experience, President and CEO Karl Kristian
     Hvidt Nielsen will personally head up - and ensure the ongoing progress of -
     product development until the right person has been appointed.

Seen in isolation, the strategy plan does not change Bang & Olufsen's
     expectations for the current financial year. Traditionally, the Group's
     turnover for November and December is substantially above average. This,
     combined with the recent turbulence in financial markets has increased
     uncertainties. As a result, the Group will not give an estimate for the full
     2008/09 financial year until the publication of the interim report for the half
     year on January 15, 2009.

Karl Kristian Hvidt Nielsen
     President/CEO

Later today, Tuesday, Bang & Olufsen will present, and comment on, the
     implemented strategy plan at a meeting for analysts and the media. The
     presentation will be in English.
     The meeting will take place at 14:00 in Bang & Olufsen's Nortern European sales
     headquarters at  Kalvebod Brygge 43, 3, DK-1560 København V.

For any further information, please contact:
     Karl Kristian Hvidt Nielsen, President/CEO, at +45 9684 5004

https://newsclient.omxgroup.com/cdsPublic/viewDisclosure.action?disclosureId=294370&messageId=347421
      https://newsclient.omxgroup.com/cds/DisclosureAttachmentServlet?messageAttachmentId=201175
      -0- Oct/21/2008 07:01 GMT
  • 10-21-2008 3:56 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

Re: B&O Statement Today

So no more Serene, Serenata, HDR2, DVD2, BeoSound 2 etc. - I think this makes sense.

I wounder if they will cease production, or just no develop any new products in that category?

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 10-21-2008 4:29 AM In reply to

Although it is very sad* for the staff that was made redundant today, it all seems to make sense for the company.

I know some of us love their B&O MP3 player and mobile phones, but today the competition is immense and offer products that even compete with B&O in term of design and usability, while being more affordable.

If the new platform includes a built in Hard Drive (like Loewe) then it makes sense to remove the HDR2. I'd still like to be able to have a standalone  B&O DVD/BluRay player for B&O TV that do not have a built in player. Even if, like the DVD1, it is Kikinoko in a nice aluminium box. As long as the right software and is nicely controlled with AVL** through scart.

p.

* It must be very tough, losing your job in "B&O village" Struer, it is not like when you lose your job in London. You'd have to move miles away before you can find a similar job. And with that many people doing it at the same time, you imaging the way the property prices will go.

** DVD2 was a different story: A B&O recorder needs 2 way AVL. DVD2 was 1 way AVL, hence its failure

• 10-21-2008 5:04 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

wtlc2zpx:

Although it is very sad* for the staff that was made redundant today

I guess the people who lost their jobs were in the areas where B&O have decided not to continue development. Mind you, losing or not filling 300 positions from their HQ workforce is a fairly high number. I'm assuming these aren't external developers or people working in the stores, as they aren't directly employed by B&O.

• 10-21-2008 5:06 AM In reply to

Personally, id love to see a beocentre 2 with built in, updated via net, Blueray player :)
  • 10-21-2008 5:09 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

sounds good definitely a step or two in the right directionYes -  thumbs up
  • 10-21-2008 5:13 AM In reply to

timhanna:
    Personally, id love to see a beocentre 2 with built in, updated via net, Blueray player :)

I Agree!

• 10-21-2008 5:16 AM In reply to

wtlc2zpx:

timhanna:

I Agree!

Fingers crossed I guess :)

• 10-21-2008 5:42 AM In reply to

thank g-d for that

bno going back to what they do best

making the ultimate a/v gear for 'the rest of us'

leave the mobiles and toys to the big players - puhleeze 

popgear is grate™

• 10-21-2008 6:06 AM In reply to

Back to basics it is.. now lets put the rubbish behind us and look forward to what they can come up with.
  • 10-21-2008 6:13 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

mobeyone:
    Back to basics it is.. now lets put the rubbish behind us and look forward to what they can come up with.

I'm disappointed to read that they're planning to advertise for the "Head of Product Development" job - I thought it would just be a case of me saying yes to the invite when it cameSad

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-21-2008 6:21 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:

Absolutely Tim. I've been saying the same thing for ages! Instead of looking at new objects, simply take what they've done well (like the Beocenter 2), update with Blu-ray, HDMI and perhaps some kind of ability to link to the B&O wireless network, Airport Express and other devices. Gives us options, at least.

I'm actually quite amazed that the Beocenter 2 hasn't changed much in the last five years. It's one of those products that drives people to realise why it's worth paying the extra for quality, until you realise that the technology is the same as a £20 DVD player you can buy from Aldi. 

Instead, we have a near £3000 SCART based basic DVD player. Sure, I'm sure the picture connected to the new BV7-32 or BV8-32 will be fine, but it's hardly technology pushing the bounderies.

• 10-21-2008 6:27 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

What's wrong with Scart? It can carry RGB signals which are as good as SD gets. B&O have good reasons for not moving into the Blu-Ray market yet. I personally have found all Blu-Ray players to be very clunky.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-21-2008 7:20 AM In reply to

Fortunately B&O comes back to what they do the best : Audio and Video business segments.

Getting ride of the MP3 players, mobile phones and stand-alone players shows it wasn't worth to invest in those projects. Knowing the fact that the competition offers similar product in design and onboard technology... at a better price (ie. Apple, Loewe, etc.).

I hope B&O will follow this path and bring us more pleasure with its products.

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 10-21-2008 10:30 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

What's wrong with Scart? It can carry RGB signals which are as good as SD gets. B&O have good reasons for not moving into the Blu-Ray market yet. I personally have found all Blu-Ray players to be very clunky.

Alex, when you pay £2800 out of your hard-earned cash (I won't say 'kids inheritance' - think Dragons Den) and you have to 'make do' with scart, then fine, you're welcome to your purchase.

However, it's the principle more than anything else. I want a HDMI-based updated BC2, whether I need the technology or not. Partly as I might need it in the future and paying near £3K for 2003 technology doesn't make me feel entirely comfortable.

• 10-21-2008 10:38 AM In reply to

A BluRay device would only make sense with a HDMI connection of course.

Scart might still be there for unencrypted (recordable) SD, and AVL and multi room distribution.

• 10-21-2008 11:44 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Alex:

Alex, when you pay £2800 out of your hard-earned cash (I won't say 'kids inheritance' - think Dragons Den) and you have to 'make do' with scart, then fine, you're welcome to your purchase.

However, it's the principle more than anything else. I want a HDMI-based updated BC2, whether I need the technology or not. Partly as I might need it in the future and paying near £3K for 2003 technology doesn't make me feel entirely comfortable.

HDMI may in fact make the image quality worse when watching SD DVDs.

HDMI is for carrying HD signals, and this is what it does best. Scart/RGB is for carrying SD signals, and this is what it does best. The upscaling should be handled by the TV, and not by the DVD player (which is what would happen should the BC2 be 'upgraded' for HDMI).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-21-2008 11:45 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thanks for posting this nice, easy to follow statement.
    My heart goes out to the 165 poor souls who lost their jobs today, in this economic climate, and with Christmas just around the corner.Sad

Nice to see the severing of ties with Samsung, no more half cast Kikinoko/B&O products! It won't be long before BS2, Serene, Serenata and BS6 become collectable.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-21-2008 12:47 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Actually there is nothing wrong with scart.  whats wrong is the poor quality of the lcd panels- whats the point of HDMI with panel quality presently being used?

very sad about the job losses but as many things move to outsourcing- many more jobs to go I would think- and many more as dealers give up.

Whilst the future plans look' interesting' how can dealers survive now

• 10-21-2008 12:47 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

But it doesn't support DVD-Audio either?

• 10-21-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

Actually there is nothing wrong with scart.  whats wrong is the poor quality of the lcd panels- whats the point of HDMI with panel quality presently being used?

To be fair though, I'm not disappointed with my BV7-40 PQ and, the customer has to be disappointed, to reflect that comment, 355f. I doubt you'd see too many people on here who would be disappointed with their recent B&O LCD TV PQ.

• 10-21-2008 1:32 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    355f:

To be fair though, I'm not disappointed with my BV7-40 PQ and, the customer has to be disappointed, to reflect that comment, 355f. I doubt you'd see too many people on here who would be disappointed with their recent B&O LCD TV PQ.

I dont doubt at all that the many purchasers on here of the BV7 for example ( i was not mentioning that set as the worst offender but ok we include that to) are delighted with their BV7 and other LCD- its the customer that are not buying thats the problem for B&O now!

But outside the blinkered world that is B&O ( i think they are moving into the real world now!) the products in vision are an enourmous price for mediocre performance- one only has to look at some of the latest offerings- very technically advanced and a 9th of the price.

Ok we have the B&O style- the integration- the quality- at least on the outside but really it doesnt perform.

And I say this comparing my BV4 with a pioneer k500 I have side by side to it this evening.

The cost is £2550  compared to £11,700 for the BV4 and in video quality the BV4 is pants im afraid by comparison- at these prices would anyone pay 10K more for something thats inferior- whilst I agree with the 'new mission statement from B&O  and its future direction- the main reaosn for the downfall of the business is sky high pricing and greed by B&O- 6 times more than it should be- 'designer brand or not!

• 10-21-2008 1:52 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    Alex:

But it doesn't support DVD-Audio either?

No that's handled by the digital coax or the DVD player's built in decoders (which can then be pushed down scart).

DVD-Audio is just a way of saying 24 bit 96 kHz audio stored on a disc.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-21-2008 2:30 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

I dont doubt at all that the many purchasers on here of the BV7 for example ( i was not mentioning that set as the worst offender but ok we include that to) are delighted with their BV7 and other LCD- its the customer that are not buying thats the problem for B&O now!

Correct, and I agree with that. Snag is, there's nothing we or I can do about that. I've given them my thoughts on 'loyalty' and their UK MD thinks it's a good idea - we'll see what happens.

• 10-21-2008 2:49 PM In reply to

Good news, apart from the job losses.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >