in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-28-2008 1:41 PM by Affineur. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2008 3:42 PM

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

BV 8 - Apple TV - Tivo Media Hub set-up

I am in the process of setting up a media hub in a second home that centers around the BV 8. The goal is to have all audio and some (rented) video coming through the Apple TV with remote control and all "cable"-type programming coming from the Tivo with remote control. I have read some of the extensive discussion on similar set-ups in this forum but I still have some questions about specifics:

1. The system will be in a 10' X 16' two story (18' tall) room and I am not sure what the best speaker selection is (BL3 or BL9 or BL4+BL2).

2. The BV 8 / Beo 4 are currently being flashed  for control of the Tivo. Can the Beo 4 control the Apple TV? Or should I consider an iPod Touch solution? Ideally we would like just one remote.

3. What are the best connection routes for the Apple TV and Tivo ? There has been mention of connection of the Apple TV via the HDMI and a Tivo (or other STB) via the other connections. Is there a preferred arrangement?

Thanks for any guidance!

Seek simplicity and distrust it. Alfred North Whitehead
  • 10-15-2008 4:37 PM In reply to

Re: BV 8 - Apple TV - Tivo Media Hub set-up

1. The BL4 BL2 combination doesnt make any sense. BL4 is way underpowered. I would consider between BL3 and BL2 versus BL9. The hight of the room might be a bit of a problem, not sure if either are well suited for that. I have my BL3 BL2 comibination in an 18" ceiling high loft space, sound was OK but was much better when I moved into a 9" box apartment. Now I have 13 feet or so, which is very good as well. I would ask for an im home demo if you are not too far away. I am pretty sure dealer goes for that since you are obviously commited to buy.

2. I am using Beo 4 with my Apple TV through my BV 8, others do as well. The touch will not really replace the Beo4. I would consider both though, giving that the touch is just a small expense.

3. I would use HDMI for the ATV if Tivo doesnt do HDTV.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-15-2008 6:40 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Thanks JK,

I thought the BL3 would be a good choice. I will try just the BL3s and determine whether or not I need the addtional bass from the BL2 (I am not a big booming bass type). The problem with the BL3s is that my wife does not like their looks..... hopefully I can win that argument. The BL9s are likely too big for this space as the TV and all equipment will be on the 10' wall.

What did you do to have the Beo 4 control the ATV? The TV and the remote had to be flashed to control the Tivo. If you are using the Beo  4 to control the ATV, can the Tivo be controlled too.... sounds like there may be some compromises with button availability.

I have a Series 2 Tivo, no HD. I use it only for "informational" and entertainment broadcast TV, not for movies. So I will connect the ATV with the HDMI.

Also, I plan to have the TV cabinet closed for audio-only listening. Is there a setting to not use the TV speakers for audio-only use?

Any additional suggestions based on what I am trying to accomplish?

Thanks again.

• 10-15-2008 7:24 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

If you're having the TV re-flashed. make certain that they put the Apple Remote back in as well as the Tivo box.  There isn't an issue with running out of buttons on the Beo4...when you switch sources on the BV-8, it switches ir-ports.  You will see that there are 2 different 'overlays' which map out which buttons do what while viewing the 2 different devices.  Quite simple once you've done it a couple of times.

Sounds like a great setup! Enjoy!

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-15-2008 7:43 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Thanks RussR,

I will speak with the shop and definitely get both overlays..... I am sure they will be calling Chicago as they do everytime I ask a question.

Looking forward to the integration although I hate to drink the Apple "coolaid" but it seems like the best solution right now.

Best regards.

• 10-15-2008 8:05 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Well, considering the forum we're on, let's not be too hasty in disparaging kool-aid drinking. 

I have an AppleTV attached to my Avant and BeoSound 9000, and I have really enjoyed it.

Where do you live?  Which shop are you dealing with? 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-15-2008 8:20 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

I live in Sun Valley, Idaho.... nearest store is Salt Lake (350 miles) but I use the Scottsdale store as I used to live there and visit there regularly. In the past all of my systems have been entirely B&O, and hopefully in the future they will be again.
  • 10-15-2008 9:01 PM In reply to

The "Apple TV" Beo 4 control came out of teh box, so unless they wipe that out when they add the Tivo this shouldnt be a problem.

When I listen to Concerts or Music form teh ATV, I switch to Speaker 2 Mode, so it runs through the Beolab 3 only. Speaker is available under List, it may be hidden but you can add that yourself.

The reason why I took the Sub for the BL2 is was mostly that I wanted to use the Lab 3 to fill a bigger room. It "relaxes" the Lab 3 a bit at higher volume and lets them focus on the mid and higher and.

In my opinion it is a very excellent combination, if you are too far away for a in home demo I think you are on the right track by ordering the BL3 and then later the BL2. I would definitely give that a shot at your dealer.

JK 

• 10-15-2008 10:07 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Thanks JK,

I will be using the "speaker 2" setting for audio-only listening with the cabinet closed.

As far as the BL2, being older, I have found that the rendition of the music that I enjoy (primarily modern classical) is very "boomy" and not at all like the concert hall experience. So I will try the BL3s alone and then determine the need for more bass in the room. That being said, it is clear that many of the movie files are engineered to use the power of a sub woofer to vibrate the room, its furniture, and the occupants (as well as the neighbors) to enhance the immersion experience in the action being portrayed on the screen. This I may miss out on so inclusion of the BL2 in the system could be important. I suppose that the equalization can be adjusted between the audio and video sources to eliminate the artifical "booming". We shall see, and we will report back.

Thanks for the advice!!

• 10-16-2008 8:00 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Affineur,

Let me know how you make out with your flashing of the TiVO. I have been unable to control my TiVO HD at all through the BV8, so I have been relying on Lintronic for IR purposes.

The only TiVO that my dealer could find to upload to the PUC was "G-TiVO" and now the question is at B&O of America. the G-TiVO option does NOT operate my TiVOHD. The menu overlay is appropriate, but the TiVO HD does not respond at all. And we confirmed that the IR blaster works.

I am pretty disappointed that the more PUCs aren't available to control standalone TiVOs.

-Sal

P.S. I have a very similar setup to JK (sans the AppleTV, for now), I have a BS9000 masterlinked to the BV8, with a pair of Lab3s and a Lab 2 connected directly to the BV8. And let me tell you, it sounds wonderful, you won't be disappointed.

Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 10-16-2008 10:32 AM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Sal,

Thanks for the info. I will be speaking with the store today about the ATV overlay and will further pursue the Tivo controlability issue. They spoke with someone in Chicago (B&O America) on Monday about the Tivo and that person responded with confidence that the Tivo can be programed into the Beo 4. We shall see.

I look forward to getting this system up and running, unfortunately it is not all B&O. However, all the non-B&O will be hidden so the aesthetics will be correct.

I will keep you updated on the progress of controlability.

• 10-27-2008 7:39 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

JK,

I have set the BV8 - Apple TV - Tivo media hub system up (in about 15 minutes incidentally) and everything works nicely except for one issue with control of the Apple TV through the Beo4 remote. When I try to step through the menus it takes off when using the "<" and ">" or "<<" and ">>" buttons and will not stop until you hit "go" or "exit". This makes it exceedingly difficult to make a selection. Have you experienced this? I am using the "<<" and ">>" buttons to step horizontally and the "<" and ">" to step vertically in the menus, the "go" button to select, and the "exit" button to back-up through the menus.

Thanks for any advice.

Filed under: ,
  • 10-28-2008 6:52 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

Affineur, you have a PM

-Sal

Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 10-28-2008 12:16 PM In reply to

That is not supposed to be happening. For me I dont have to hit go or exit to stop the fast scrolling.

Can you post the name of your stb and the version? I check mine tonight.

• 10-28-2008 1:41 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

JK,

I just got a call from B&O and they have indicated that there appears to be a software issue with the latest Apple TV update/Beo 4 interaction. Apparently the Beo 4/ BV8 will put out double commands or the Apple TV is interpreting the current BV8 command as a double command. So when you use the arrow buttons it just takes off through the menus. They wanted to know what software revision I have on the Apple TV. The one I have is 2.1. I shall let you know what they find out.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)