in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-16-2007 3:02 AM by 9 LEE. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-15-2007 1:23 PM

BEOSYSTEM 2300 - can anyone help with a few teething problems?

I'm new to this so hope someone out there can help. Thrilled to be given Beosystem 2300 music system as a no-longer-needed gift from a close relative. Like all gifts from her, it comes with a price: sure, they're always expensive luxury items I could never afford myself, but there's always a bit missing or something broken. Seems like it's the same story this time around and downloading the User Manual hasn't helped. So... (the novel begins)

• One of the glass doors is missing. That's not a problem - I can get a replacement - but waving a hand in front of the remaining one doesn't open it like the handbook tells you it should. I can gently open it manually but is there any way of fixing this?
    • The cables turned up some time later. Two adjacent sockets on the back of the main unit are marked POWER - LINK and the third AUX. I've connected them to the speakers in different ways but get no CD sound. There is sound through the headphones. Does each speaker require a separate power source? There is a third cable she gave me but I can't figure out where it goes - short (21") with a two prong plug one end and a corresponding socket at the other (like the kind that goes in the back of a radio).
    • There's nothing from the radio. Do I need a separate FM aerial as well as the extending one on the unit?

Somehow I reckon life will be wonderful when I sort this all out. But then, what do I know?

Looking forward to hearing from someone - anyone...

David 

Filed under: ,
  • 05-15-2007 1:32 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: BEOSYSTEM 2300 - can anyone help with a few teething problems?

Lucky man. The speakers will need an individual supply if they are power link. Do you have their model number?

I'm sure Graham will be along in a minute to put the rest right for youYes 

• 05-15-2007 1:37 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

You will need an FM aerial for the Radio. These are still available new from B&O.

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-15-2007 1:37 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

The two Pin lead you have may be some sort of AM aerial. Can't think of anything else two pin.

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-15-2007 1:39 PM In reply to

It sounds like you may not have all the cables. Each speaker should have its own power cable and should be attached to the Beocenter via the Powerlink sockets for sound. I attach a diagram. The radio does need an aerial - check that the one you have is properly attached. A screwdriver in the FM aerial socket will give a signal!

• 05-15-2007 1:52 PM In reply to

My God! Such instant responses - I'm amazed. But being new to forums I guess I would be. Peter... Craig... Kevin... you must spend a lot of time with your ears tuned here. Thank you - I'll try all those things. No surprise that my benefactor left out a few cables by the look of it.

Now, does anyone know how to fix the wavey handy doory thing? Or am I expecting too much?

David

• 05-15-2007 2:05 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

You will find this forum is a little bit special when it comes to help!  I am still waiting for a reply on the community servers own forum that i posted about 5 weeks ago!

The handey wavey problem may be the sensor that recognises something passing in front of it, and opens the doors (that's a low-tech answer BTW!). Great for scaring animals, cats especially.. Laughing

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-15-2007 2:14 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Can you hear anything like a motor running or a solenoid initiating when you wave your hand in front of the doors? If so then it is possible the cable mechanism for opening the doors has become detached. If there is no sound then it is likely to be the motion sensor as Lee says.

Graham (joeyboygolf) is our resident expert on these so I'm sure he'll be along shortly to shoot my theory down in flamesStick out tongue

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-15-2007 2:16 PM In reply to

When you wave you hand in front of the unit, is there any movement of the door mechanism at all and/or does it sound as if it is trying to open?

Trying unsuccessfully  but failing is indicative of mechanical problem with the sliding track or actuating cables. Not trying or no sound or movement at all is indicative of a problem with the sensors.

Dammit Chris you beat me to it.

Regards Graham

• 05-15-2007 4:50 PM In reply to

Graham

Thanks for your views. I think the problem's in the latter category, ie sensor problems, as there is no sound or movement or any indication that it is trying to open. I did in fact carefully clean the front of the unit, thinking there might be dirt etc interfering with the sensor, but no joy. Having said, not knowing where the sensor was located was perhaps a bit of a handicap!  

• 05-15-2007 5:13 PM In reply to

Suggest you remove the glass door that is fitted. Simply lift it by it's outer edge and it will come ouit of it's clips. Then remove the shiny black plastic panels that are behind the doors. Best done with a butter knife along the outer edge. They just clip in. This will reveal the sensors which are half way down both outer edges of the main unit.

Does the door mechanism work now? Check that the motor assembly is plugged into the pcb.

If yes, try removing the black tape often found on the inside of the black plastic panels and reassemble.

If no, then your problem is deep seated and best left to a service center.

Regards Graham

• 05-16-2007 2:47 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:

If no, then your problem is deep seated and best left to a service center.

Definately worth taking to a serviice center & spending a few bob on.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-16-2007 3:02 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Just as a precautionary measure... check that the door opening hasn't been disabled!

Could you do that on the 2300 though? Graham?

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)