in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-18-2008 8:58 AM by Sn00py. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2008 12:21 AM

• Maniax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2008
    • Singapore
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 5 prices?

Hi,I'm very interested in getting a pair of BL5s, however, in Singapore, the prices are ridiculous!

I'm looking at SGD$38,500! Which is about  USD$26,000 and 16,000 Pound sterling.

Am I being ripped off? What other way can I get my speakers at a more decent price?

I was wondering whether I should fly somewhere else and purchase the speakers there and ship them back, since the warranty guidelines indicate that the 2 year warranty is international. 

• 10-15-2008 12:40 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 5 prices?

Maniax,

I feel your pain. I bought my BL5's in Indonesia in 2004 via B&O Singapore. The price then was SGD26,000 and the SGD to the UK Pound was 3.2 to 1. It was a real bargain at GBP8200 per set.

However, I'm adding to your pain! I suspect the cause is a) a flamboyant economy in Singapore and b) that the exchange rate is probably a reflection of the weakness of the US Dollar (and false protection of the SGD economy with the USD rather than a function of the British Pound).

If you have the mobility and that Singaporian tax regime is favourable, why not buy from the UK and have them shipped to you. A couple of good flight boxes (I have drawings) and cargo insurance will cost an extra USD2000 but it still represents a saving of near to $10,000 if no extra taxes are due.

10%

• 10-15-2008 2:43 AM In reply to

Wow some price difference.  As 10% says A couple of the UK resellers have some in stock, I see morethanAV has two sets and Iconic has one - they must cost a fortune to ship surely?  Anyone any idea what they would cost freightwise?
  • 10-15-2008 11:57 AM In reply to

A friend of mine bought BeoLab 5s in Monaco and then shipped them to his home in Paris.
  • 10-15-2008 12:45 PM In reply to

OMG. They just rose prices over in Singapore again? I remember it was just around $33000 the last time I checked. Yeah... Singapore is getting kinda weird. Flamboyant economy.... makes you wonder who is benefiting.... people here are like the opposite of flamboyant... words to describe are dull, pretentious, cheap and unclassy... haha. Sorry just got my wallet stolen at the Fitness First gym over here. It's like the third time. So gonna switch to a classier gym. 

At that price it will be so much easier to just call the dealer over in UK or something and arrange a credit card or wire transaction .  

• 10-15-2008 11:29 PM In reply to

• Maniax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2008
    • Singapore
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Thank you everyone for their help! I have contacted the UK retailers and are looking forward to hearing from them. Yes Singapore is an over-rated place haha!

Anyways just would like to say that the Beolab 5s are one helluva pair of speakers. Blew me away when I first heard them, and that's saying a lot considering I own a pair of Martin Logans. 

• 10-16-2008 2:58 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Maniax:

Thank you everyone for their help! I have contacted the UK retailers..

Aren't the BL5s 70Kg each?

• 10-16-2008 8:49 AM In reply to

• Maniax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2008
    • Singapore
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Their weight (speakers alone) is 61kg each. Been quoted the delivery charges, it wasn't as bad as expected, but I'm wondering now what the custom charges and tax would be.

Shall do more research now! 

• 10-16-2008 10:23 AM In reply to

It's well worth checking with the courier service to get a price on the customs charges. I imported a $5,000.00USD electronics item from the USA to the UK and UPS charged me approx £600.00 to clear through customs.

Beosystem 3, Beosound 4, Beolab 9, Beolab 3, Beolab 8000

• 10-16-2008 10:33 AM In reply to

UPS and Fedex are b*sta*rds like that. Charge you over the top rates for nil service and dont give you the choice.

You need to talk to a good freight forwarder for a price. A container worth of goods will only cost $600-900 so a couple of easy inspectable boxes should be a fraction of that.

Looking at singapore customes, I think they are only bothered in ciggs, booze, motors and petrol so anything else should just be straight-forward GST (3 or 7%).

You also would be advised to get the packages insured. I use Marsh (Gateway) but ACIS cargo insurance is also OK.

10%

• 10-16-2008 2:41 PM In reply to

Haha.. Maybe you can have the dealer write as gifts. Better to get a franchised dealer if they still exist. Think they will be more accommodating. PS. The tax in UK is a lot higher than in SG so you still sorta even out. Meaning, you pay for the price that you get in UK despite shipping and tax. 
  • 10-17-2008 9:11 PM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

Here is what i did when i lived in Sydney

Bought my BL5 from my swedish dealer; put them on export from EU so you get the 25% VAT deducted from the selling price.

Dealer shipped them to the forwarder - who flew them to sydney for $1000 (the original BL5 packaging worked more than well for flight cargo) - i paid the VAT in Sydney and had everything in my home in ca 7 working days.......saved about 20% due to VAT/discounts/price differences

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 10-18-2008 8:58 AM In reply to

• Sn00py
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-18-2008
    • Australia
    • Posts 28
    • Bronze Member

Klas:

Here is what i did when i lived in Sydney

Bought my BL5 from my swedish dealer; put them on export from EU so you get the 25% VAT deducted from the selling price.

Dealer shipped them to the forwarder - who flew them to sydney for $1000 (the original BL5 packaging worked more than well for flight cargo) - i paid the VAT in Sydney and had everything in my home in ca 7 working days.......saved about 20% due to VAT/discounts/price differences

How much did that cost you?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)