in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-16-2008 4:25 PM by symmes. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2008 4:11 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: New Strategy for B&O

koning:

The bevision7 32" with non hdmi.........come on!....anampersand open your eyes.

I do think ampersand may have had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he typed this!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-15-2008 4:18 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

I don't think we have much to worry about. A clear direction is always a good one, then again if they stuff up they can always blame the "Current Economic Climate" (hands up all those bored silly by that tired old phrase being an excuse to do anything stupid these days).

I think a lot has happened, they were a bit slow off the mark on DVB for both satelite and ariel users. Other than that Nothing too much to worry about. After all everyone's favorite Steve Jobs has said they're not putting blue ray in apple yet as licensing is a nightmare and they're still looking at where the market is going, and that was only yesterdays comment.

So hey putting blueray in BV7 as an option well that's certainly an sensible option.

Let's just hope they start bringing out products that a) people want and b) actually make sense.

• 10-15-2008 5:45 PM In reply to

Puncher:
    koning:

The bevision7 32" with non hdmi.........come on!....anampersand open your eyes.

I do think ampersand may have had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he typed this!

Thanks, Puncher.  I was hoping to carry the same spirit of sarcasm as others... Apparently the apologists have run rampant so long that we're becoming unable to distinguish hard-headed "loyalty" from sarcasm.  Oy! 

• 10-15-2008 6:13 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

benjnz:

I don't think we have much to worry about. A clear direction is always a good one, then again if they stuff up they can always blame the "Current Economic Climate" (hands up all those bored silly by that tired old phrase being an excuse to do anything stupid these days).

I think a lot has happened, they were a bit slow off the mark on DVB for both satelite and ariel users. Other than that Nothing too much to worry about. After all everyone's favorite Steve Jobs has said they're not putting blue ray in apple yet as licensing is a nightmare and they're still looking at where the market is going, and that was only yesterdays comment.

So hey putting blueray in BV7 as an option well that's certainly an sensible option.

Let's just hope they start bringing out products that a) people want and b) actually make sense.

IMHO - lets do whats right for B&O - What Apple do is for them to worry about. The iPod will fade into insignificance, as did the Walkman, the computer has become a generic Intel box, regardless of what Apple tell you! Artists are releasing their downloadable output digitally in open source FLAC format - High Def. Audio suppliers (Linn Audio etc) are also supplying high def. audio in FLAC format, meanwhile Apple's lossless format is proprietary to their software/hardware ..... God bless them................ buy my hardware, use my software............ that's the way forward!

They will fall on their face come the age of the hat!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-15-2008 7:30 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

Well yeah, I kinda like Trip's take on it to be honest, nothing wrong with sitting in a field in the middle of nowhere and getting something that you think is going to work generally it does. OK there's the odd exception like the rectangular mp3 player that they just shouldn't have bothered with but hey, at least we hope they can learn from their mistakes.

I was pondering the other day, their phones are great - looking fwd to the new one and hey lets have another nice mobile but at a decent price I mean after all a normal B&O mobile pitched at about $1200 NZD people would buy it, the current line at well over $2000 NZD is just a bit too stupid. Loudspeakers are doing well too I think.

Any strategy will have to be a careful migration of technology and plug-ins as after all their stuff is/does last a long time so that's key to migrating existing users hand in hand with a fine balance to get enough non-throw away features in products to get new customers into the mind set. I guess how far do you want that music/video/IP mix happening, for safety sake it'd make more sense to make items that offer them individually which can then me connected to give an overall solution.

• 10-16-2008 12:44 PM In reply to

Puncher:
    benjnz:

IMHO - lets do whats right for B&O - What Apple do is for them to worry about. The iPod will fade into insignificance, as did the Walkman, the computer has become a generic Intel box, regardless of what Apple tell you! Artists are releasing their downloadable output digitally in open source FLAC format - High Def. Audio suppliers (Linn Audio etc) are also supplying high def. audio in FLAC format, meanwhile Apple's lossless format is proprietary to their software/hardware ..... God bless them................ buy my hardware, use my software............ that's the way forward!

They will fall on their face come the age of the hat!

These are words of wisdom!
    Agree completely!

David the BeoPerson
  • 10-16-2008 3:30 PM In reply to

benjnz:

Speaking of yesterday's comment, isn't Steve Jobs' comment so yesterday? I mean blu-ray is everywhere. I bought quite a few of them already and I am not considered as an early adopter. Where can the market possibly go when it is sorta settled on blu-ray already? Jeez.... Maybe and just maybe Steve Jobs doesn't want to pay Sony the license duties. 

• 10-16-2008 4:25 PM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

My take on Job's comments is that a. Blu Ray is still not a mature product, and b. When iTunes (and others) can channel 1080p to the far reaches of the world, all bets are off.  And while many have said the same, people listen when Jobs says it.  I just hope his health is better than he looked yesterday.

Wouldn't it be interesting if B&O were actually entering this world with the beginnings of a truly premium product line (BS5) at the perfect time? 

PS: apologies in advance, and referring to earlier comments, but in my opinion SONOS is the Bose of multiroom.....with a 2-way remote.

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2