in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-12-2008 8:01 AM by tournedos. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-11-2008 5:43 PM

• ducha
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 01-04-2008
    • Wisconsin, US
    • Posts 77
    • Bronze Member

Beogram CD and Beocord 6500 maintenance question

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a Beosystem 6500. I was wondering how I might go about cleaning the tape heads and the CD player. Is there a certain cleaner I should use or just the conventional cassette cleaner tape and laser cleaning CD? Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

Aaron

• 10-11-2008 9:08 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Beogram CD and Beocord 6500 maintenance question

Hi Aaron,

frankly if everything is working OK then there's no real need to do anything. As for the CD player - the off the shelf CD cleaners are a complete waste of money, the only way to clean a Laser unit would be to remove the casing of the CD player and use a cotton bud (Q tip) dipped in either pure alcohol (preferrence) or distilled water and allow to dry.

I wouldn't like to comment on the cassette cleaning as I too own a beocord 6500 and have used it just the once in the last 10 years and only keep it to make my system look complete to be honest.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-12-2008 8:01 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram CD and Beocord 6500 maintenance question

Medogsfat:

I wouldn't like to comment on the cassette cleaning as I too own a beocord 6500 and have used it just the once in the last 10 years and only keep it to make my system look complete to be honest.

I have one too - I can't see how it would be any different from any other cassette deck. Use the same (or preferably new Wink ) cotton bud and alcohol to clean the tape heads, the capstan shafts (the metal axles on either side of the head that rotate once you turn the Beocord on) and the pinch rollers (the rubber wheels that press against the capstans, once you coax the mechanism to engage without a cassette - I think you need to push a sense flipper in the rear of the cassette compartment).

Try to avoid too much pressure on the heads, it's a rather delicate rotating mechanism on these auto-reverse decks. And do not overdo the amount of alcohol on the pinch rollers, the rubber might not like being soaked in it.

And this needs to be done hardly ever, unless you really use the deck regularly.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)