in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-11-2008 9:07 AM by Dillen. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-08-2008 2:17 AM

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Beomaster 2200 volume

I have recently completed refurbishing an old BM2200 and it now works nicely, sounds good and looks in pristine condition once again.  One thing puzzles me though.  When I use the tape input, the volume setting for a normal, average listening experience is between 3 and 4, i.e somewhere below mid range.  However, when I switch to the radio channels, the volume goes into over-drive and it has to be turned down to setting 1 or even less.  Surely this cannot be normal, or is it?  I cannot see that there can be anything wrong with the amplifier or the volume slide because it works so well with the tape input.  So, is this a typical characteristic of the BM2200 or have I got an extra powerful radio output that needs further adjustment.  Any advise or assistance would be appreciated.

Geoff

• 10-08-2008 11:34 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beomaster 2200 volume

No, that's not normal. It should be more or less the same volume.

Did you replace all the caps on the little power supply board ?

Martin

• 10-08-2008 6:32 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Hi Martin

Glad to receive your input.  Didn't think that it could be normal behaviour because you certainly get a wake up call when you switch from tape to radio. 

I have checked my notes and did not make any changes to the power supply board.  On my preliminary checks, all of the output voltages on P31 were fairly close to the listed values in the manual and my main concerns at the time were with the amplifiers.  Are there any particular voltage outputs that I should be checking in a lot more detail?

Thanks

Geoff

• 10-09-2008 1:31 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

If the problem is in both channels, we will have to search a common place like f.e. the power supply. There are a little handful of cpas on the power supply board (not the large cans sitting in the bracket, they are almost always good), I suggest you check them (read: replace them) before searching elsewhere. It has been several years since the last time I saw a BM2200 with good power supply caps.

Strange though that it's too loud but I suppose AGC and IF circuits will get confused if the power is not stable or ripples.

Martin

• 10-10-2008 7:28 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Thanks Martin

Yes, both channels are performing the same and the outputs are well balanced.  I will check through the power supply once more, as you suggested and do it a bit more rigorously this time.  It is a new experience for me to have something working extra loud when I usually spend most of my time trying to find reasons why signal strengths and amplifier boosts are too low.  It looks as if this is going to turn into another interesting project - and I thought that I had finished this one!!

Thanks again for your help

Geoff

• 10-11-2008 9:07 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Could also be a missing ground connection somewhere. Check DC voltages on the tuner output stages.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)