in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-08-2008 3:29 PM by LarsJensen. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-07-2008 6:54 AM

Terrifying B&O Stories!

I had the scare of my life in the middle of the night last night. There I was happily away with the fairies when all of a sudden I was awoken by the most astounding noise. In my bedroom I have my Beomaster 6000 and my refoamed and recently recapped s80.2's. The BM6000's remote is a strange bit of kit with preset volume buttons for 10, 30 and 50 along with the normal volume controls. Maximum volume is 60. At some stage in the night, well 3.41 to be precise I must have sprawled around in my bed, spider like, and some how knocked the remote and pressed the "50" button. This instantly turns on the last source (the radio, of course) and winds the volume up to the chosen amount. Let me tell you volume 50 on a BM6000 is rather loud in a small room at that time in the morning. For a good few seconds it was like the scene in Back to the Future where Marty appears to his dad as Darth Vader and threatens to melt his brain! 

This got me thinking that the people that have the house all linked up, both audio and TV must have had some wierd goings on from wrong button presses, random timer programs and general gremlins. So does any one else have eperiences of ghosts in there B&O in the middle of the night.

• 10-07-2008 7:23 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

Re: Terrifying B&O Stories!

I had a similar experience a few years back.

When I first got my Beomaster 5000, it had some gremlims that I didn't have chance to fix straight away.

One of which was the random turning on to untuned radio frequencies at full volume. I was however using the preouts at the time, feeding a pair of large 250w mono amplifiers, which were connected to a large pair of American speakers. To be woken up in the middle of the night to 'white noise' at full volume was pretty scary, although I was more concerned about the ribbon tweeters in the speakers being fried!

After changing all of the capacitors in the PSU and amplifier sections, the problem seems to have been eliminated!

• 10-07-2008 7:24 AM In reply to

beaker:

I had the scare of my life in the middle of the night last night. There I was happily away with the fairies when all of a sudden I was awoken by the most astounding noise. In my bedroom I have my Beomaster 6000 and my refoamed and recently recapped s80.2's. The BM6000's remote is a strange bit of kit with preset volume buttons for 10, 30 and 50 along with the normal volume controls. Maximum volume is 60. At some stage in the night, well 3.41 to be precise I must have sprawled around in my bed, spider like, and some how knocked the remote and pressed the "50" button. This instantly turns on the last source (the radio, of course) and winds the volume up to the chosen amount. Let me tell you volume 50 on a BM6000 is rather loud in a small room at that time in the morning. For a good few seconds it was like the scene in Back to the Future where Marty appears to his dad as Darth Vader and threatens to melt his brain! 

This got me thinking that the people that have the house all linked up, both audio and TV must have had some wierd goings on from wrong button presses, random timer programs and general gremlins. So does any one else have eperiences of ghosts in there B&O in the middle of the night.

Its not unknown for customers to call in with reports of B&O kit turning on and off for no apparent reason.  Probably the most common is Avant - which had a PT button ( Play Timer) on the top panel, next to some often used buttons.  In itself, this would do nothing, but the timerplay screen is also quite easy to set "by accident" it seems, as 90% of these service calls are met with " we never use that" or  Ididn't even know it had a timer".....and yet they get activated, quite often.

The problem is made worse/more confusing for some customers, as the TV can already be on when the timer kicks in, so it just goes off at the end, for no obvious reason, maybe with a spurious channel change thrown in, just to add to the fun !!

DJ

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 10-07-2008 7:33 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

LaughingLaughingLaughing

That's really brightened up my Tuesday, beaker!!

I have had my BM6500 go off on radio in the middle of the night shortly after I put it in my bedroom, but it was at a fairly low volume......

Cheers

Nigel

• 10-07-2008 7:36 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

True story from a B&O dealership..

Customer walks into a busy B&O showroom full of customers and finds an assistant..

Customer - "Hello there, i have a fault with my Beo4 - can you repair it?"

Assistant - "Yes, sure - what's the problem?"

Customer - "Well, it appears that it's stuck on 'turn volume up' !!"

Assistant - "oh, okay - bring it in and we can have a look at it"

Customer then slowly produces said Beo4 from his inside jacket pocket..

Now, picture every single BeoLab Loudspeaker and TV in the shop rapidly reaching MAX volume all at once. Cue lots of frightened customers as the BeoLab 5's approach 'warp volume' and one assistant diving towards the customer like he's holding a hand grenade and has just pulled the pin..

LaughingLaughingLaughing

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-07-2008 7:37 AM In reply to

Funny for me but terrifying for my cleaner was watching her try to clean the doors on my Beosystem 3000 - I've never seen anyone jump so much!

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 10-07-2008 8:21 AM In reply to

9 LEE:

Very funny!

I have always wanted to turn off all B&O equipment of a shop, though the window, while in the street, using my A9 Keyring!

Never did it and never will, though!

• 10-07-2008 8:59 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

I visited a customer with a view to upgrading her MX7000 for Bvis7. She had a Freeview box connected to the MX7000.  During the course of the conversation, she mentioned that the TV had a habit of switching itself on in the middle of the night.  When she came down for breakfast the set was on.  Her children thought that she must be losing her marbles and forgetting to switch the set off at night.

My first thought was "Play Timer" as the MX was connected via BeoLink converter to Ouverture.  The timer play function was not the cause.  After a bit of lateral thinking and some experimentation, I deduced that the Freeview box had the scart sense switched on.  When the Freeview box was getting its updates in the small hours of the morning, it was switching the MX7000 out of standby.

The lady was very relieved that she wasn't going bonkers.

Opman

• 10-07-2008 9:04 AM In reply to

Got a real simple one.
    Play a pair of BL5's at max volume with a really deep bassy track.
    Watch one of them just switch off dead and panic to see if you have or have not broken it or fried it alive.
    Then take a valium or prozac 2 minutes later after you realise the protection system has kicked in.
    10%
  • 10-07-2008 10:15 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

this thread coudl be gr8 i only have one story that was hillarious

i was having a "party" with some friends and my lab 8000's lab 2 and lab 6000's all giving out some hard dance music when the power died for a few mins

i reset the switch on my fusebox!

the funny thing was a had a kitten who when it went quiet was sniffing around the lab 8000 and the music come back on at full blast rather than standby and the kitten sh@t itself and jumped 10 feet in the air lol

poor thing but man it was funny

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 10-07-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

9 LEE:

(--)

Now, picture every single BeoLab Loudspeaker and TV in the shop rapidly reaching MAX volume all at once.

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Suddenly the whole neighbourhood will stare at the shop while it sounds like it would explode! Even better if there would have been someone trying to stop the customer and (in slow-motion) NOOoooo.....!

This is getting a very fun thread!

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 10-07-2008 12:42 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

9 LEE:

Customer walks into a busy B&O showroom full of customers and finds an assistant..

Now, picture every single BeoLab Loudspeaker and TV in the shop rapidly reaching MAX volume all at once. Cue lots of frightened customers as the BeoLab 5's approach 'warp volume' and one assistant diving towards the customer like he's holding a hand grenade and has just pulled the pin..

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Brilliant Lee, I would like to have been there when it happened.LaughingLaughing Well I have two ghostly B&O activity stories. Firstly when I had my Beocenter 9000 a few years ago, I would walk into the Lounge to find either the CD or Tape covers open. At first I thought I was seeing the first signs of the CPU dying. Then on day I found one of my partners cats walking over the panels. How it never managed to turn on one of the sources is beyond me. My second is was with my BV3-32, I would come downstairs in a morning to find it on. It was always on the RF connection too. After a couple of weeks I worked out it started when I connected a new DVD recorder. Went back to my old DVD player and the problem stopped. Why it turned on TV and not DVD I don't know.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 10-07-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

" width="28" />

This was me at 3.41 this morning!!

• 10-07-2008 2:39 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Like Craig, we also had "ghost cats" turning on my Beocenter 8500 at all ungodly hours. Took me ages to find out what was going on!

Got one of them back though. I have a Cona connected to my Beosystem 7000 and little known to me our fat cat Leo (who looks like a furry puddle) decided it was the perfect place to curl up for a nap - that was until I loaded a Nirvana CD and belted out "smells like teen spriit" at near full whack. Funnily enough he hasn't slept there sinceBig Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-07-2008 2:59 PM In reply to

May be we should have a Cats v B&O threadBig Smile

• 10-07-2008 3:37 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

And thinking about cats... my story just clips the annoying aspect rather than the terrifying...

anyway one of my cats (aka deaf cat) for very good reason has great fun always searching out any Beo4 and some how always managing to only turn on the TV, nothing else only the TV Hmm Needless to say if I don't hide the Beo4 before leaving the house the TV is always on on my return.

And no point telling her off, as am sure she can't lip read Big Smile

• 10-07-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Some years ago we had a new year party in our apartment with 25 guests. I don't know if the neighbours ringed the door to complain about the sound level because we were playing so loud we couldn't possible hear the door bell. Big Smile

Anyway, I was standing in the kitchen and of course the link speaker there was also on. Suddenly I hear something is wrong with the BS9000. The music sounds strange. I quickly move to the living room and find one of the guest (very drunk) trying to find the volume control. His method is a little bit terrifying: He pushes hard with both hands on the glass in order to have it opened! Super Angry

After a small cardiac arrest I had him stopped. I turn of the BS and starts it over again. No problem and the party continues. Beer Drinks

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 10-07-2008 4:10 PM In reply to

benjnz:

Does she manage to turn on teletext subtitles? 

• 10-07-2008 4:24 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

oh just remembered my worse ever moment with my B&o

my uncle had been plastering my lounge and my dad turned up to see how he was doing, i went to the shop to get a pint of milk when my partner said that they were pressing buttons on the remote trying to get music and DVD came on with lets says explicit material on from the internet lol.

i never said anything but i will alwasy remember to never leave a dvd in the player

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 10-07-2008 5:00 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

wtlc2zpx:
    benjnz:

Does she manage to turn on teletext subtitles? 

No only the TV - we have naff all teletext anyway. Trying to persuade her not too is a struggle, as soon as you pick her up she lets out a cry and at FULL volume (and I'm only imagining here) on the lines of a cat being reversed over and then before you drop her due to the shock, she goes into full volume purring, which basicaly almost turns her into a white four legged pair of bagpipes with NO volume control LMAO Big Smile

• 10-07-2008 5:25 PM In reply to

never will...... since the A9 doesnt work that well.
  • 10-07-2008 6:55 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Great thread. Thanks.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 10-08-2008 6:10 AM In reply to

beaker:

" width="28" />

This was me at 3.41 this morning!!

hé, hé, I love BTTF, meantime I have some props (not screen-used items) on http://www.yourprops.com (aka Dee27) :

- http://www.yourprops.com/user-props.php?user_name=Dee27

I had done the same thing in 1996 when I went to get my second hand BL8000. At this time they were linked with a BC9500.

Unfortunately, I didn't know of to use the front panel of the BC9500, This is why I started to play with the sensitive touchs.  In spite of myself, I switched  the volume > 74. All of a sudden, my ears "exploded" and the shop became a giant Nightclub... guess what ?  I was unable to switch off the BC9500 due to the stress I had and the lack of knowledge regarding the manipulation of the sensitive interface.

Fortunately, one their guy ran to me and with a forced smile, kept the sound level down. Whouao, I was ashamed and could feel all the eyes on me, whouhouu... That was "sporty"...

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 10-08-2008 8:04 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

LaughingLaughingLaughing

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I'd have paid big bucks to see THAT! lol!

Thats the funniest thing i've ever read! 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-08-2008 3:09 PM In reply to

• LarsJensen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-25-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 65
    • Bronze Member

wtlc2zpx:

I have always wanted to turn off all B&O equipment of a shop, though the window, while in the street, using my A9 Keyring!

Never did it and never will, though!

Haha, did the reverse - since the displayed items was off - one evening out walking with my wifeWhistle

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >