in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-03-2008 6:37 AM by BenSA. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2008 6:40 AM

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Bm 5000 panel won't open

I have a BM5000 which works perfectly except that the hidden control panel on front won't open. I took the lid off the Bm and got the panel open but none of the controls work either. Looks like there is no power to the panel. Its not a big problem because everything works using the MCP. There seems to be some sort of coiled relay (not sure thats what its called) by the control panel which looks like it might be the problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,.

Thanks

Durban South Africa

• 10-02-2008 6:55 AM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Re: Bm 5000 panel won't open

Hi Francoisvl

I recently had a similar problem on the BM5000 and the answer in my case was very simple.  There is a flexible connection between the case and the panel which was broken.  Initially, it looked to be OK from the outside but I found that the copper braids inside had actually cracked.  None of the keystrokes on the panel were working and this prevented the door from opening.  I could not get a proper replacement flexible but repaired the unit using the thinnest ten strand flexible that I could get from the local electronic store.  My unit is now working 100%.  If that is your problem it is not too difficult to fix but there are a few potential pitfalls in the dismantling and re-assembly procedures.  The manual I obtained from this site was invaluable.

Good luck

Geoff

• 10-02-2008 7:08 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Hi Geoff

Now that you mention it the flexible connector that you are talking about didn't look too good. I noticed that it looked like some had detached. I'm sure that is the problem. I don't think I will be able to do the repair myself. I will have to get someone to help otherwise have B&O repair it.

Its no rush really as I can still use it, I just like my B&O to be in tip top shape!

Thank you for the info, extremely helpful!

Durban South Africa

• 10-02-2008 1:31 PM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

I'll second the flexible connector, it appears to be a common problem.

Mine was already repaired when I got it, with what looks like part of a computer IDE cable, soldered at both ends.

Cheers,

Ben

• 10-02-2008 9:19 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

As you say, you only have to acquire a small section of thin IDE cable, cut to length.  Stripping the twenty ends was fun and games for me.  Thereafter, you will need a soldering iron, solder sucker and an extremely gentle touch on a screwdriver to undo some awkward plastic lugs.  As usual, the trick is to take lots of photos so that you get a good record of what goes where.  If you do decide to do it yourself, I think that I still have some notes that I made which might help.  I could dig them out if needed.

Regards

Geoff

PS, I used to live in Richards Bay which probably isn't too far from your place.

• 10-03-2008 6:37 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Hey Geoff

I live in La Lucia, so thats not too far!! Any help you can give me would be great. I can solder quite well, have solder sucker etc.... Now that I know its called an IDE cable I can start sourcing a piece.

I will have a look this weekend!!

Thanks

Durban South Africa

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)