in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-22-2008 3:03 PM by Medogsfat. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-30-2008 9:05 AM

• dusekj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

service of cdx

Hallo!

I have an older CD player by B&O. It is an CD X. I am searching for someone who repairs these older thinks. The proble is described bellow.

The CD X start to spin the disc  then it slows down and speeds up again and then it stops. On the display stay "P" after. I removed the lid to see what the laser does. It goes to the very center position, starts to emit the light goes up and down about twice and than it stops. I was searching for help in repair manual for this think but the sugested diagnostic step  require much more repair equipment then I have.

Thank you,

Jiri Dusek

• 09-30-2008 1:40 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: service of cdx

Hi Jiri,

these are typical symptoms of aging capacitors & dry solder joints on these machines. Member Dillen (Martin) services these. The "P" on the display is actually a "?" which means it hasn't read the disc.

I can offer a repair service to the left hand hinge for any out there needing this. There is also a thread on how to do this in the workbench section.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 09-30-2008 5:23 PM In reply to

Hi:

I agree with all that Chris and Dillen has written on this.

CDX really looks like a "hand made" unit. The PCBs actually look "home made." These are fine machines but have many many cold solder joints on them.

Reheat all the joints, change the electrolytics (especially the ones on the power supply; this deck runs very warm and they should all be well cooked after over 20 years!.

Once these things are addressed you'll get a nice deck. It's a well made machine with a great optical pickup. Would you believe mine plays CDRWs?

Derek

• 10-01-2008 12:42 PM In reply to

My CDX also plads CDR's but not all of CDX players do.

Min was near death but Chris fixed the left hinge and Dillen did the electronics. It still plays great with no faults. I can recommend having it fixed.

• 10-26-2008 2:44 PM In reply to

• dusekj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your replay. I am traveling a lot these days so I did not have time to answer your offer. I am interested in having it fixed. Perhaps I could re-solder it and change the capacitors my self but someone who have done it before can do it in much shorter time then me.

Can you please give me some estimate of the price? I would also like to know where are you located so I can figure out the price of shipping.

Thanks again,

Jiri.

• 10-27-2008 4:28 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi Jiri,

I am in Leeds in the North of England but in all honesty I am not the best person to help you here.

The person who you really need to contact with the electronics problems is member Dillen (Martin) as he has much more experience with these and will be able to diagnose & fix any problems much quicker then me! Martin is located in Copenhagen - Denmark.

I have worked on a couple of these for my own pleasure and it has always been work done when time permitted so I wouldn't be able to give you any guarantees of a time scale.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 12-22-2008 2:27 PM In reply to

• dusekj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for your help. Because it is Christmas, I have some time off and I had time to replace those capacitors. The CDX works fine again. Thank you again.

Jiri.

• 12-22-2008 3:03 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Well done Jiri,

I'm glad you managed to sort the problem yourselfSmile

Chris.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)