in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-06-2008 8:17 AM by 355f. 34 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2008 9:08 AM In reply to

Re: THE LARS FLYVHOLM INTERVIEW - 2008

Job well done Lee, sounds very open and honest which is needed at this moment... shame the banks could not do the same thing hey...

Interesting blend of questions and answers, I was hoping that he would have given more insight into where the brand will be.. Lars does elude to the "magic" that B&O today seems to be missing but how they translate that into future prodcuts does sound challenging.... 

• 10-01-2008 9:15 PM In reply to

Dear All:

Lee well done.  I wonder how much it will cost to upgrade the BV 7 to Blue Ray in the US?

Any ideas?

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 10-03-2008 12:27 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Congratulations Lee,

very well done! Thank you.

In one case it seems as B&O thinks their customers are dumb people:

Production in Denmark is not possible due to high costs? I'm asking myself how it was possible the 70 years before? Did they make NO profit the last 70 years?

C'mon guys, we are not dumb!
    It's a shame for B&O because other companies like german T+A are showing that "home-production" is NO argument! T+A is a german highend audio-/video-company; same price range as  B&O, REAL high quality and where do they produce? In Germany!
    http://www.taelektroakustik.de/eng/index.htm

It's clear that it is easy to buy specific software, parts and machines, okay. But the main process should stay in the home country!
    Look at the products like Beovision AVANT. When people have a look at this "monster" they know, feel and hear that this is an expensive product which is realy worth its money!
    Than look at todays TVs and people will ask you if you're insane asking that much money for a product that is outdated every 6 months and has the same "Made in Czech, China etc." Label like other brands. This is in my opinion NOT a B&O experience anymore!

Very sad about this.

• 10-03-2008 8:48 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Is Lars still working for B&O?!

- Or is it just that companies get really soft when going gets really tough?

I think I could have a beer or two with him ... Big Smile

• 10-04-2008 3:51 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

There will always be examples of companies who continue to produce in their home countries- how profitable they are and how long they wil last is another issue.

Fact is im not aware of one high end brand that is not sourcing, part developing or considering a complete move to China. pricing is under great pressure and its impossible to market product that ones opposition can buy for 70% less in China.

It was possible over the past 70 years becuase there was less competition in the market and China was n ot a force to be reckoned with.

Just in development time alone the european companies cannot compete.

B&O therefore have no choice- however, what is a concern is if they use the opportunity simply to buy cheaper but charge the same alarming prices. Flat screens from B&O need to drop by 40%

• 10-04-2008 5:59 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I don't prescribe to the "Must be made in Denmark" argument - it truly gives nothing more than the declaration on the rating plate. There is no valid reason why very high quality products can not be made in China (or Eastern Europe), indeed they are, everyday!

There may be other, bigger questions, are the workforce exploited, is this cost saving passed on to the customer etc. but a reduction in quality in definitely not a given.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 10-04-2008 6:12 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

there is vo valid argument to keep the high sale price when they can manufacture the product for 70% less. But they don't lower the price.

10.000 Euro for a "Made in China" B&O-TV? They can fool another one but not me.

And believe me, people want quality. While moving the production e.g. to China B&O is just BOSE: Design and nothing anymore.
    But this is a common problem: Managers are to dumb for high quality productions, they just have the dollarsign in their eyes ;-)

• 10-04-2008 8:19 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

TWG:

there is vo valid argument to keep the high sale price when they can manufacture the product for 70% less. But they don't lower the price.

10.000 Euro for a "Made in China" B&O-TV? They can fool another one but not me.

And believe me, people want quality. While moving the production e.g. to China B&O is just BOSE: Design and nothing anymore.
    But this is a common problem: Managers are to dumb for high quality productions, they just have the dollarsign in their eyes ;-)

I think that B&O will soon realise that charging £9500 for a bv7 for example is not going to work and that the new purchasing 'savings' will result in products being brought to te market sooner and cheaper.

If the strategy is to source it cheaper and charge the same prices B&O are doomed

• 10-05-2008 6:43 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

Not really doomed though are they, it will just result in a slight fall in sales nothing else. After all being a luxury high end brand, the customer who would faint over any B&O price is arguably not their target market. They're moving more into the - "If you have to ask the price tag, then you can't afford it" area of sales, for a lot of their products. Once economic times get better, they'll do well again.

Again the other side of the argument is there are the lower end models e.g., BV8 which cater for the "starter level" customers Big Smile

• 10-06-2008 8:17 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

benjnz:

Not really doomed though are they, it will just result in a slight fall in sales nothing else. After all being a luxury high end brand, the customer who would faint over any B&O price is arguably not their target market. They're moving more into the - "If you have to ask the price tag, then you can't afford it" area of sales, for a lot of their products. Once economic times get better, they'll do well again.

Again the other side of the argument is there are the lower end models e.g., BV8 which cater for the "starter level" customers Big Smile

'They are moving more into gthe luxury high end market- if you have to ask the proce you cant afford it'

B&O moved into this position several years ago and we have seen the results of that policy. When consumer electronics as a whole is dropping alarmingly in price- and continues to do so- no one is going to pay 9 times the cost for a plasma or 20 times the cost for an LCD. The breed of customer you cares not about price will not keep a fairly large dealer network alive. The BV8 for 'starter level customers'  not at that price!

Im afraid the 'luxury high end market' is an area filled with companies that produce products that are far technically superior and provide to a very niche upmarket customer- the type who would not buy B&O for a start.

B&O has set itself up as a mass market lifestyle brand with many many outlets- so they wont survive looking for barking millionaires im afraid. As for a slight drop in sales- its going to be a more drastic drop to come unless the prices drop

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2