in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-25-2008 7:19 AM by Nis. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2008 8:37 AM

• Nis
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • Roskilde, Denmark
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Beovox RL 140 cross over refurbish, replacing capacitors

Hi there,

I'm renovating my pair of RL140 (having the woofers foam replaced). In other threads I have read, that it would make sence to have the capacitors in the crossover replaced. Should all capacitors be replaces or is it only the bigger ones (I don't know the English term, but in Danish I would say "electrolyt capacitor), those in "metal" housing.

Would it make sence to also replace the internal wiring with thicker cobber wires?

Best regards

Nis

• 09-24-2008 11:12 AM In reply to

Re: Beovox RL 140 cross over refurbish, replacing capacitors

Electrolytic Capacitors tend to leak or dry up over time, so replacing old ones is a good idea.  The ceramic capacitors (small orange discs) very rarely fail and should only be replaced if it is determined that they are faulty.

I would not change the wire, unless it is damaged (but maybe I am just lazy).

Good Luck!

-Rob 

• 09-24-2008 4:17 PM In reply to

Replace the electrolytic capacitors, you will need to remeber to glue the replacements in place after you have soldered them.

If you don't glue them, they can vibrate loose and damage teh solder connection, and they may cause a distracting buzz.

In these speakers, you are best replacing them with more electrolytics as the space is fairly limited - in other speakers there is more room and you can use fully synthetic capacitors - but these tend to be physically larger, although they can give you a better sound quality.

As a good indication of how much improvement you can make, do one speaker first, reassemble and try it out side by side with the one you have not maintained, you will be surprised at the differance.

• 09-25-2008 7:19 AM In reply to

• Nis
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-13-2008
    • Roskilde, Denmark
    • Posts 30
    • Bronze Member

Hi srywrgnbr and casdave

Thanks a lot for your replies. When I'm finished, I come with a summary.

Best regards  Nis

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)