in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-14-2007 3:23 AM by beodude. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2007 5:36 PM

Is 26" enough for everyday use?

Want to buy BV8 or BeoCenter 6. Is the size big enough for everyday use (no movies, just news).

Also, is the cost of getting the BeoCenter worth it? I mean, the BeoVision 8 is less expensive.

Best

Claus

• 05-13-2007 5:43 PM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Re: Is 26" enough for everyday use?

I have a BV6-26 and it's perfect for my viewing distance (2,50 m) : I could have opted for a 32" but it would really have eaten the space and destroys the room atmosphere.

BTW, it's a perfect size for everyday TV and for an advanced home cinema experience too (DD/DTS card). Unfortunately, BV8 does not accept such a surround module, but it seems you don't have the need for it anyway.

BC6 is too much expensive in comparison with the competition if you ask me (BV7 are better deals) but on the other hand BV8 doesn't have antireflex contrast screen nor motorized stand...

Philippe

• 05-13-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

It rather depends how far away it will be. There will be a 32" version later in the year. The screen size is supposed to be one third of the distance it is viewed from - though some prefer bigger screens these days. You will need to have a look at the sets at your dealers to make a proper judgment. The BC6 does look expensive in comparison but does have the option of surround sound should this be a desire of yours. It will also take the DVB-T module (when it arrives!) The BV8 accepts neither.

• 05-13-2007 5:49 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

It depends on your situation and the viewing diestance, but I would think that normally, 26" is ideal for every day use, especially as you say "no movies".

BC6 and BV8 are quite different. BV8 is an entry level model with good picture and very good sound quality, but without lots of alluminium and without anti reflection screen. In some way, this makes the BV8 look "cheaper" compared to the BC6.

The BC6 offers more options concerning connectivity. Both have the same placement options. I would say it is mainly a question of taste, and off course of budget. The BV8 seems to be good value for money. The BV6 is (much) more expensive, but you get mor B&O feeling for your money IMO.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-13-2007 5:52 PM In reply to

I afraid I'm a bit of a dinosoaur, still watching MX6000 as my main room TV. I find that the 28in widescreens (BV3-28 or Avant 28) seem too small for my taste. I don't watch films much, usually just general entertainment etc.

I have "for sale" widescreen sets in my lounge for pre sale testing but have sold them all!!!

If I were to buy widescreen for personal use then the minimum size would be 32in so Beocenter 6 would definitely be too small in my opinion.

Regards Graham

• 05-13-2007 9:44 PM In reply to

I am a big fan of small TV. In my oinion a TV should not dominate a room which very often will happen if you choose a bigger model. In regards to screen size, you can always add a projector for movies assuming you have reasonable control over daylight .

The day they offer BC6 in the US I would be in store buying one. 

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-13-2007 11:36 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

I'd say 26" is more than enough! Stick out tongue

If you like the BC6, can afford it, and want the options of surround sound later on and DVB-T built in - go for that

If you like the BV8, can afford it, don't give a stuff about the above and an anti glare screen - go for that.

Up until I'd moved to BV6 and Avant I'd never bothered with the anti glare coating, now I'd make sure any TV had one, but that's my personal preference.

• 05-14-2007 2:54 AM In reply to

• SKApretto71
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Europe - Italy - Tuscany - Fucecchio
    • Posts 66
    • Founder

In my opinion is perfect. If you are using it from around 2meters is fine, if you are going to be near is, IMHO, too big. I've a 17" in my kitchen and it's perfect given the distance from the table, and a BV3 32" as our main TV and I cannot see any need for a bigger screen.

For the BeoCenter question, it depends on expansion slots you may want to use. Having a radio in it is a plus, and I do like the idea, and even the picture is, from my point of view, better. If you just want a TV and the BV8 is good for your usage and taste, go for it. ;)

Just my 2 beoCents,

---

Raffaele "SKApretto n.71" Sgherri

I like Chrome and spread it!

• 05-14-2007 3:04 AM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

There's only wto reasons to go for a small tv rather than a big one: The size of the viewing distance/room and the cost. As for the first, it is key, as other people have pointed out. The second is somewhat a red herring; smaller tv's are indeed cheaper, but if you're spending many thousands on a tv already, the difference of an extra £1500 or the like isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things
  • 05-14-2007 3:22 AM In reply to

• fridsten
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 167
    • Founder

I have a BV6-26 at a viewing distance of around 3 m. It would work with a 32" screen as well, but definately not any larger.

My living room is just that, a living room. Not an place for cinema worshipping. Wink

• 05-14-2007 3:23 AM In reply to

Peter:

It rather depends how far away it will be. There will be a 32" version later in the year. The screen size is supposed to be one third of the distance it is viewed from - though some prefer bigger screens these days.

I tend to use another rule of thumb for screen distance (as recommended by our dealer and B&O who told them apparently and it also makes a lot of sense if you think about it). If you make a fist and hold it out, arm outstretched in front of the tv screen that you are viewing, the fist should basically look the same size as the picture you are watching, ie it should just about obscure the picture you see). It bascially means that you don't view any of the picture in your peripheral view, otherwise you have to scan across the screen with your eyes whilst watching if you are too close.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)