in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-23-2009 5:16 PM by DoubleU. 40 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-19-2008 8:15 AM

Blu-Ray from B&O

Anybody knows if B&O will release a Blu-Ray player soon?

Thanks.

S. Fray

• 09-19-2008 8:35 AM In reply to

• Piay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Re: Blu-Ray from B&O

Sorry for my english. Bang & Olufsen just launched a blu-ray built in for BeoVision 7 - 40 MKIII in early 2009. There will be no solution outside.
    Bye
  • 09-19-2008 8:36 AM In reply to

Dont think they ever will release a Blueray player. 

I can recommend Sony BDPS300/350 which you can easily control with a bang & olufsen remote either via:

http://shop.oneremote.dk/catalog/

or a SW update from an authorised Bang & Olufsen shop.

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 09-19-2008 8:44 AM In reply to

• Piay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

I recommend you a compatible external player like the Panasonic DMP-BD30.
    Needs only to update the list of the STB-Control for use this player with the BEO4 or BEO5
  • 09-19-2008 11:15 AM In reply to

Hi!

I would much prefer the panasonic DMP-BD50 rather than the BD 30. The BD-50 has internal decoding of bouth Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio and the BD-30 does not. BS3 cant decode the new sund formats so you will have to let the blu-ray player do it and then send it to the BS3.

Ahmet!

• 09-23-2008 7:53 PM In reply to

i believe the samsung BD-P1500 and BD-P1400 will also work
  • 09-26-2008 1:22 AM In reply to

i'm looking forward to a bv7/40 with bluray

now THAT will be interesting !!! 

popgear is grate™

• 09-26-2008 5:49 AM In reply to

I agree too, as having the Blu-Ray inside the BV7 40' allows us to keep the B&O integration.

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 09-26-2008 7:02 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Blue-ray isn't going to take off. It's a treat, yes, but it's just not going to catch on anything like DVD did and B&o is right not to have a Blue-ray, i see us moving right away from physical media.

You watch... 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-26-2008 8:41 AM In reply to

Dave:

Blue-ray isn't going to take off. It's a treat, yes, but it's just not going to catch on anything like DVD did and B&o is right not to have a Blue-ray, i see us moving right away from physical media.

You watch... 

good call
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 09-26-2008 9:03 AM In reply to

Been convinced of this ever since I watched HD-video over Apple-TV, sent to my viewing room over the internet.

Blu-ray will be a niche format, a very small niche. Like Laserdisk to VHS -- and we'll be getting 720p (available now) and 1080p (also available, but not as ubiquitous) over the web. But most people, including myself, do quite excellently with upscaled DVD - though I will confess that I really enjoy 720P/1080i on my screen.

If the studios had put out some quality classics on Blu-ray when it was launched, instead of Doom this and Underworld that, then I would have bought it right away. The new Godfather cycle, and Bladerunner, etc -- instead, they gave net-distributed HD-content a chance to get established, while they were busy with Slasher MLXCCIV.

It's just so convenient with net download. I began watching a new television series the other day - pressed a button, a minute later it was ready to watch, in 1080i, with 5-channel sound. And while the sound on a Blu-ray disk is better, if they bother to process it in high-resolution (that doesn't always happen), the sound I get from the download is more than acceptable.

• 09-26-2008 9:13 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

We are moving towards further development of digital media (the entire concept of mp3)

Who in the world thought yet another update of the compact disc would be successful?! Look at laser disc, mini disc etc.

Soon enough technology will develop to a point where we can seamlessly add a device such as a hard drive (or those of us with discerning taste - a BS5/BM5) to our existing setup, and enjoy premium quality AV at the touch of a button on the remote. Video stores will no longer need to exist.

Until then i'm extremely happy with a B&o CRT with SD TV and a DVD every now and then 

*edit* snap soundproof great minds think alike Wink 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-26-2008 10:10 AM In reply to

I am pretty sure like most of you that Blu-ray will be a niche market, but so is B&O, and in the eye of many potential buyers (not necessaraly represented here) it would feel that something is missing in the product range if B&O did not have a Blu-ray player.

p.

• 09-26-2008 10:15 AM In reply to

i was going to argue with you guys and prattle on aboot how wonderful blu ray is , but , i actually agree 100% with you

i've bought plenty of blu rays but after getting freesat last week ( for the hd stuff ) and having loads of various hd stuff on my mac from the net ( don't ask ;) ) i've come to the conclusion that the spinning disc is most definietly NOT the way forward , the sheer convenience of not having to search the shelves for a film when you've had a drinky etc is more than enough impetus for moi to ditch the whole disc format thingy

fast internet and solid state disks are , in a few years we'll have a credit card with enough space for 20 blu rays , plus you'll be able to record as well 

remember star trek ( the old one ) where they had those plastic cards ? and what aboot the old gaming consoles like the nec pc engine from 1987 - which had 1 megabyte ssd cards even then...

what i'd like is a bv7 with a wireless net connection and a built in terabyte hard disk  ! 

popgear is grate™

• 03-10-2009 12:48 PM In reply to

This possibility to control the Sony Bluray DVD, is that done through the settop box controller?

/C

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 03-10-2009 1:01 PM In reply to

That is the best way - though the Beo5 could be programmed to do it as well.

The Beovision 7 with Blu-ray should be with us in May. Can be retrofitted in late BV7-40s.

• 03-10-2009 1:08 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

PhilLondon:

I am pretty sure like most of you that Blu-ray will be a niche market, but so is B&O, and in the eye of many potential buyers (not necessaraly represented here) it would feel that something is missing in the product range if B&O did not have a Blu-ray player.

p.

Phil,

I know that being on the left side of the Atlantic gives me a different perspective on your issue, especially since we never got the HDR-1 or HDR-2...so I'll just base my conclusion on our shot-lived experience with the DVD-1.

Considering the ease with which the PUC takes control of 3rd party boxes of all sorts, thereby providing B&O customers with the same level of 'integration', I can only say "No!  B&O, stay away from building external sources!  Bad B&O!  Bad!!  Sit.  Stay!"  

Over here the DVD-1 was a disaster, despite the perfect integration.  By the time it shipped most dealers here were happily showing (and selling) Panasonic RP-91's with amazing pictures on US-Avants with full control.  Other players worked as well.  The DVD-1 was a 'Me Too!" product meant for a B&O fetishist, which simply isn't enough people, and it had no inherent advantage beyond the matching paint.  Which one never saw, as all of the boxes were stashed away out-of-sight.

If B&O continues to focus on VisionClear®, sound competence, and the PUC, then I don't think they'll ever need another video source of their own.

With the picture my old Avant gives me from iTunes at 480p, and the image that a BV-7, -4, or -9 can give with the 720p material, I am compelled to agree with others here...let B&O 'leap-frog' Blu-Ray and focus on command and control.  With the retreat of DRM, B&O have an opportunity to put their stamp on the User Interface, and move from there.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-20-2009 1:43 AM In reply to

• Esh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-20-2009
    • London
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Just took delivery of the Beovision 7-40 with Blu-Ray...can't wait to try out all these movies from Woolies!

• 03-20-2009 8:13 AM In reply to

Blu-Ray just took a serious hit today with the announcement by Apple that HD movies are now available for download purchase -- not just rentals anymore.

• 03-21-2009 9:57 AM In reply to

Esh:

Just took delivery of the Beovision 7-40 with Blu-Ray...can't wait to try out all these movies from Woolies!

How is the Blu-Ray working?  Does this mean the Blu-Ray upgrade for BV7 is now available in the US?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 03-21-2009 12:05 PM In reply to

The BeoVision 7 MkIV is not released in the US yet. We're looking at June at this point. I assume the replacement drive will be available at about the same time.

I wasn't aware the BV7 MkIV was available anywhere yet to be honest. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-21-2009 12:50 PM In reply to

• Esh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-20-2009
    • London
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

I'm in the UK. Had placed an order for the BV7 in December with an estimated delivery of mid-Feb. My dealer then advised me to wait until the beginning of March for the built-in Blur ray drive and voila!

• 03-21-2009 2:11 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2008
    • Munich
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:

Blu-Ray just took a serious hit today with the announcement by Apple that HD movies are now available for download purchase -- not just rentals anymore.

I think it's exactly the opposite cause the download nearly costs the same as a blu-ray disc.

I have a blu-ray player and think downloading is no alternative. Blu-ray has a much better quality than any download. Also my internet connection couldn't handle that. If you look at datarates up to 30 MB/s I think we are far away from streaming and downloading. At the Moment Blu-ray has the same codec as the download files but a datarate twice as high.

Also AppleTV has a very poor quality if you ever watched a real blu-ray disc.

• 03-21-2009 5:25 PM In reply to

Tim,

I'm certainly not against blu-ray and think that much criticism against blu-ray has been quite harsh. I actually have a very large library of blu-ray discs. However, I absolutely think that Apple's announcement of high-def movies for download purchase will hasten blu-ray's demise. The cost for downloads is from $15 to $20 while the cost to purchase a blu-ray is often from $25 to $40. Once the download has started, the movie is ready to watch within a few seconds. Since my projector is 1080i and not 1080p, I cannot tell any difference between the video quality of the download and that of a blu-ray. The iTunes store had "Twilight" available for download the instant it was released at midnight. This is much more accessible and convenient than getting in the car and driving to a store.

• 03-21-2009 11:06 PM In reply to

Tim, you're right on point. 

I've been puzzled at the notion that somehow a hard copy of a disc is preferable to a download. The idea seems to be that when you have a disc in a case, you really own something as opposed to a digital copy which is somehow fleeting. I've been nothing but fed up with discs since before I had to deal with blu-ray. Rentals are always scratched, they don't have what I want to watch, titles always seem to cost more than I rally want to pay, and one and on...

Along comes Apple TV and now I can browse tv shows, movies, and music on screen. Everything that is available is there. No driving from store to store or waiting for a disc to come in the mail. Cost ranges from comparable to significantly less than a hard copy, and I can back up my copy with the greatest of ease making it easily more robust than a single fallible plastic disc.

So all that's left is quality. Frankly it's a temporary distinction, as digital media matures its quality has come along in line with products' ability to make use of a higher level of sophistication. And even so, it's just not enough. Not enough people really care about the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray let alone Blu-Ray and HD Downloads. Whatever tiny feeble legs Blu-Ray had sprouted have been taken out from under it. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next >