in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-14-2007 12:57 AM by Morgan. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2007 1:03 AM

Advice requested: opinions on plasma/center speaker placement

Hi beoworld!

You have all been very helpful with my selection of equipment for upgrading my home entertainment system.  All the equipment has been ordered, and now it's down to finalizing the placement of the TV (BV7-50) and center (BL7-2): either on shelving unit or wall mounted.  Time to buy some furniture!

There are two options we are considering.

Option 1 places the TV and center on a shelfing unit.

The issue here is that the center would have to be located above the TV.  TV would be about 29 inches/74cm from the floor, center about 73 inches/185cm high.  TV will be on the B&O stand.  Center will be wall mounted above the top shelf.

Question: is there anything inherently wrong with placing the center above the TV?  Is this too high to place a center? Is the TV too low?

Option 2 wall mounts the TV and center above an equipment cabinet.  TV would be about 38 inches/96.5cm from the floor, center would be mounted below the TV, about 28.5 inches/72.4cm high.

Question: is the TV located too high in this set up? (It would be about 10-12 inches higher than the other set-up)

Seating in either option is on a "normal height" sofa  and about 9 feet/2.7 meters from the TV.

I have attached some rough renderings of both set ups, neither is partcularly to scale, but it will give you some idea of the set-ups. (The grey thing with 5 circles is a BS9000. I know there are 6 cd's in the BS9000, I just was tired! The TV and center are labeled.)

Link to renderings:

http://snipurl.com/1kegz-KCHI2B 

As always, I appreciate your candid advice, input and recommendations.

All the best~~

Todd

(sorry if my metric conversions are off, it's been a while...) 

• 05-13-2007 1:18 AM In reply to

Re: Advice requested: opinions on plasma/center speaker placement

Without doubt option 2. From the point of view of the esthetics I think is better, and considering the acustic the differences are too big. The BL7-2 inside a cabinet I can imagine will sound not very good, and you aren´t go to be just in front of it, the BL7-2 will be too hight for the listen site.
    Rafa
  • 05-13-2007 2:08 AM In reply to

Thanks for the input, Morgan.  Just as a point of clarification because I don't think I was clear, it is a shelf unit, not a cabinet, so the speaker is not really impeded in any way versus the wall mounting.  However, I take your point that the center is mounted too high in any case in option 1.  Thanks.
  • 05-13-2007 3:42 AM In reply to

Your link doesn't work for me but I don't think I would have the speech speaker above the screen as I think it will sound odd. However , never having heard one, maybe it would be worth getting a dealer to try it! You don't want the TV too high either as this makes for uncomfortable viewing.
  • 05-13-2007 4:11 AM In reply to

How far away from the tv will you be watching from? The further away you are, the smaller the angle you will have to tilt your head upwards to look at it, so you can get away with a screen that is higher up.
  • 05-13-2007 4:38 AM In reply to

Peter & beodude~~

It doesn't look like the link in my post is clickable. You'll have to copy and paste the link in your browser to access.  Sorry.

The main seating area is about 9-10 feet away from the screen.  Is there a typical or standard height most of you use/recommend for hanging a 50" screen?  I'm meeting with my B&O dealer tomorrow to discuss, but wanted some input from the community as well.

Thanks~~

• 05-13-2007 4:49 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Option 2 is similar to what B&O themselves do in the showrooms and their Beoliving setup. No doubt it will look the best and sound the best.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-13-2007 5:10 AM In reply to

• YannChris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Larmor-Plage, France
    • Posts 276
    • Founder

Hello Todd,

No doubt option 2, but...

I would consider another option, which would be to put the BL 7.2 on a stand on the top of the low cabinet and move your BS9000.

The beauty of BS9000 will be enhanced if you place it away from your video setup. Why not on a floor-stand?

You have less wires to hide, which means more freedom for placement.

This also let you more freedom on the screen's placement. 94 cm seems to be a bit high, 75/80 cm would be more confortable (of course it depends of your sofa's height). When looking at a long film, it might be very tiring if you have to "raise your head" to have the center of the screen in front of you.

Another point, the central speaker is very important in a cinema setup, IMHO, as it has to deal with 90% of dialogues.

So, consider a ligne between the Tweeter/Medium drivers of you main speakers, and try to put the BL 7.2 on this line.

Yann.

Ne pas s'en faire et boire frais!

Mon install en images: cliquez sur mon profil, au dessus de mon avatar - Puis "My files" tout en bas.

Pictures of my setup: click on my nickname, above my avatar. Then "my files" at the bottom of the page.

• 05-13-2007 5:17 AM In reply to

I agree with YannChris's alternative option. Option 2 is better because the centre speaker is at a better height, however for a distance of only 9-10 ft away, the screen is too high up and you will have to strain your neck in watching it so YannChris's option would be ideal. BS900 looks great wherever you put it really. I do think it looks fantastic on the floor stand as this makes a separate feature out of such an iconic piece of B&O equipment.
  • 05-13-2007 5:23 AM In reply to

I am afraid my browser blocks your site! It is rather touchy about redirects!Laughing However I agree about getting the height of the set correct.
  • 05-13-2007 8:29 PM In reply to

Thanks, all.

Option 2 it is.

My BS9000 is already on a stand (in conjunction with a BeoVision Avant 32" HT), so it will be easy to evaluate that placement in the new system versus placing on the cabinet with the tilt bracket or mounting it on the wall, which I also like.

Cheers~~~

• 05-14-2007 12:57 AM In reply to

beobres:

Thanks, all.

Option 2 it is.

My BS9000 is already on a stand (in conjunction with a BeoVision Avant 32" HT), so it will be easy to evaluate that placement in the new system versus placing on the cabinet with the tilt bracket or mounting it on the wall, which I also like.

Cheers~~~

For me BS9000 horizontal wall mounting is the best. In this way you can get a realy nice B&O set up. 

Rafa
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)