in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-12-2008 1:32 PM by xegoon. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-11-2008 3:58 PM

Beosound 6 vs i-Pod touch opinion

Well count me as one of the last to join the portable MP-3 players crowd.

I am looking in to purchasing our first player and have narrowed it down to two, the Beosound 6 and the i-Pod touch.(I know two totally different players but they are my choices)

I love our local B&O store but I don't want to abuse them in seeking advice on non-B&O products. They have shown me the BS 2 and 6, but I have no experience when it comes to the i-pod products.  From what I can tell, the i-Pod does so much more and for a lot less, but I'm not sure if doing more is that important or is worth complicating my life or frustrating me or my wife to the point we would not use it.  Plus so many of the i-pod products appear to be a "fill it up and throw away" product.

I really want something that is compatible and plays nice with our B&O systems (Beosound 9000 MkII, Beosystem 2500, Beosystem 1) and can be plugged in or docked and controlled with the Beo 4 and played on our linked system and that we can take our music with us when we are away from home..  

I do not have a Mac System and do not anticipate getting one. Also, I do not use/have i-tunes, beoport or beoplayer, nor do I know what is actually needed so I am staring from scratch.

My preference order/criteria is as follows:

1.) Sound quality

2.) Price

3.) Ease of use/incorporation with B&O system, Beo 4

4.) Reliablity, user friendly

5.) Easy download platform, storage, ability to delete/add music from memory 

6.) Bling

Any advice offered from those of you who have experience with both the Beosund 6 and i-Pod Touch would be appreciated.

I'll be patient, I know it may take some time for you to stop laughing at the digital player virginStick out tongue.

Thanks,

Roger

• 08-11-2008 4:18 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound 6 vs i-Pod touch opinion

I don't think the BS6 is controllable with the Beo4.

To be honest, get the iPod Touch. The BS6 is a rebadged Samsung with a poor user interface and the sound quality was criticised in the last review I saw. The iPod Touch has reasonable sound quality and is very very easy to use. If you wish to integrate your digital music into your B&O system, you need a computer and some music software. If you are getting the iPod, you can use it as a remote for your music with your BS9000. The simplest and cheapest way is to get an Airport Express and use iTunes in your PC or Mac. The computer will send music wirelessly to the Airport Express and you attach this to your BS9000 via the Aux socket. The iPod can hold up to 32Gb of music - which is quite a bit! Get A8 headphones though.

• 08-11-2008 4:43 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Totally agree!!!

Although I went for the iphone. Of course less capacity but still an excellent mobile phone!!! And I'm not even a Mac user!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 08-11-2008 4:47 PM In reply to

I have the iPhone and the iPod Touch. The iPhone will actually play music through the tiny speaker! Totally pointless but can have its uses!
  • 08-11-2008 4:49 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Can be an option but if you connect it through the docing station then you might have the chance to forward the music to the right speakers!!!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 08-11-2008 5:03 PM In reply to

Sounds like the i-Pod will be the direction to go.  You are correct Peter, the BS is not controlled by the Beo 4. What about the I-Pod?

Roger 

• 08-11-2008 5:15 PM In reply to

I am actually turning into someone who does not appreciate the Ipod anymore. At least the latest models. What bugs me the most is, that I am forced to put in time to organize the library or get the music from the Itunes store.

What I liked about prior Ipods was, that I could manage my collection with little effort. Now, I have to scramble to get the Album art as everything is centered around visual navigation.

I think this is nice, but for me, most of my CDs will not get their Cover Art correct neitehr do I want to chase it. And having all these missing pictures makes coverflow like navigation - well - ugly.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-11-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

Not had any problems with album art - except for some classical music. I don't use iTunes store really - just CDs or LPs.

You can control an iPod with a Beo4 if you get one of Ridax's docks.

• 08-11-2008 6:53 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I've had no issues with iTunes organising my library. It's just a case of making sure as you add CDs, they're tagged correctly, not a case of going through your whole library every few weeks.

I'd say my library of 13,000+ is very well organised, and they all have album art. I don't spend much time looking after it either...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-11-2008 10:32 PM In reply to

See I am not that organized. Most of my CDs were ripped way before this whole coverart thing begun. To go now and take a day or 2 and download all missing coverart ... I have mostly compilations .... No thank you .... At the same time the new Ipods do not look like they would be great to use without it .. 

So for me less is more, I would prob consider a BS6 but my old Ipod is still running strong and I would miss Video I think. 

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-12-2008 2:35 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I have tonnes of compilations too, iTunes handles them fine! It allows you to group Compilations together, and even specify a certain artist for the whole album, which is handy when you've got a compilation which was put together by a certain artist.

I initially 'sorted out' my library about 10 months ago, and it was about two night's work then, at around 8,000 songs. Didn't take that long...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-12-2008 3:12 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Peter :
    ..............Totally pointless but can have its uses!

ConfusedConfusedHmmLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 08-12-2008 3:15 AM In reply to

You can do 'guess the song' whilst in a group - not really music but amusing! Laughing
  • 08-12-2008 7:45 AM In reply to

jk1002:
    ee I am not that organized. Most of my CDs were ripped way before this whole coverart thing begun. To go now and take a day or 2 and download all missing coverart ... I have mostly compilations .... No thank you .... At the same time the new Ipods do not look like they would be great to use without it .. 

If your IDv3 tags are all set up correctly and the albums exist on the iTunes Music Store, iTunes will find the art.  If they're not then either the tags are wrong (in which case blame the Winamp user that ripped them) or the albums aren't on iTms.  You can find them on Amazon easily enough or if you have a Mac just use this http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=findalbumartwork

That said, I never use cover flow.  I don't miss my missing album art much, not that it happens often.  Usually just with some indie and that existed and died in the 90s. 

• 08-12-2008 1:32 PM In reply to

R Patton:
    1.) Sound quality:
    • Playing the same file, the BS6 is always better

2.) Price

• BS6: 125 € per Gb (aprox.), including A8
    • iPod Touch: 14 € per Gb (aprox.), without A8

3.) Ease of use/incorporation with B&O system, Beo 4

• BS6: not BeoLink compatible Ick!
    • iPod Touch: BeoLink compatible via STB Controller (BVs owners...)

4.) Reliablity, user friendly

• Well, I think that it depends on the user...

5.) Easy download platform, storage, ability to delete/add music from memory 

• BS6: really easy with BeoPlayer, WMPlayer & iTunes. Easier with BeoPlayer: you can add & delete at the same time.
    • iPod Touch: actually, who don't know iTunes?? Stick out tongue

6.) Bling

• Everybody knows the iPod Touch, but only a few of them know the B&O's BS6...

Jq. BS4 BL3 A8 Form2

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)