in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-11-2007 3:03 PM by Beobird. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-11-2007 7:00 AM

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Making a new extern filter for the bl2....

Dear Beofans,

Next month I will buy a pair of 8000's for my bedroom, and I'm almost sure I want a bl2 as well. The only problem is that the bl2 is not fast enough for my music. Ok it can handle my fovourit artists like Colplay, U2, Keane and maybe Faithless, but I'm not sure if it can handle some trance music like Markus Schulz, Armin van Buuren and Paul van Dyk. So now I've got a plan to make a new extern filter for the bl2.... The idea is that the bl2 receives only the lowest bass tones ( < 55hz ), and the other tones ( 55hz >) are for the bl8000. I want to ask if you guys think this is possible, and if this is a good idea ?

Beobird,

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 05-11-2007 7:55 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Re: Making a new extern filter for the bl2....

this is how it will look like...

• 05-11-2007 8:25 AM In reply to

Less sure of this! The advantage of putting things through the 2 before the 8000s is that the 8000s don't have to deal with the lowest frequencies and they sound better as a result. Have you thought of a different sub-woofer if you are unhappy with the BL2? Or maybe BL9s as the end cost will not be that different. Seems a lot of money to spend on a sub-woofer that will only do 23-55Hz.
  • 05-11-2007 8:49 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I'v thought to buy a B&W pv1 (I guess that was the name :P) but I've made a dissision to keep my B&O set, B&O only.... I've to say that I think it's normal for subs to handle frequenties below 55hz only because they're made for that. It's indeed a lot of money, but I think I will buy one second life

Rogér,

• 05-11-2007 9:10 AM In reply to

The PV1 was the one I was thinking of. It uses a B&O ICE amplifier but is supposed to be more musical. I cannot comment on this as I have not heard it. I have a BL2 and am very happy with it.
  • 05-11-2007 9:39 AM In reply to

Peter:
    Less sure of this! The advantage of putting things through the 2 before the 8000s is that the 8000s don't have to deal with the lowest frequencies and they sound better as a result. Have you thought of a different sub-woofer if you are unhappy with the BL2? Or maybe BL9s as the end cost will not be that different. Seems a lot of money to spend on a sub-woofer that will only do 23-55Hz.

As Peter has suggested, it might be a good idea to check out the lab 9s. Why not take a pair home with you so you can try them out you may think they sound better and are worth the extra £1000 I think it is. And should you be in any doubt about how to take them home with you, this has been covered already on the forum:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/thread/10754.aspx

• 05-11-2007 9:47 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I will buy the 9's maybe later for another room, because the 8000's fit much and much better with my other bedroom equipment

• 05-11-2007 1:55 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

but do you guys think the bl2 filter is actually a good idea ?

• 05-11-2007 2:02 PM In reply to

Sort of! I would suggest if you were going to do this in filtering the output to the BL8000s as well. I dare say it would be possible to alter the settings in the BL2 to change the cross over frequency which would be another way of doing the same thing.
  • 05-11-2007 2:27 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The issue might be that the BeoLab 8000s won't have a steady roll off below 55 Hz. If you use a BeoLab 2, B&O will have taken this into account with it's crossover design and hence the bass will be more even (I believe the BL2 will begin to roll off at around 80 Hz). It would be interesting though to see what you can do. If you do make one, make it active. Passive crossovers are something B&O did away with a very long time ago - for good reason!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-11-2007 3:03 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Peter:
    Sort of! I would suggest if you were going to do this in filtering the output to the BL8000s as well. I dare say it would be possible to alter the settings in the BL2 to change the cross over frequency which would be another way of doing the same thing.

That's actually a good idea, bacause it gives me the opportunity to play with both crossovers (8000 and 2) to find out what sounds best Smile. Now I only need a second hand bl2 and a technical guy who can make those crossovers.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)