in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-02-2008 12:12 PM by Craig. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-31-2008 11:02 AM

LC2 confusion

Hi all:

I would like to purchase an LC2 device for controlling my lights and have my eye on one which is on eBay at the moment. Presently, as I live in rented accomodation  I will only need one for my room and thus whilst not the most economic way of doing things it won't really matter as I only need one I think.

Having read through the stuff on the site I have an understanding of how it works but I am really none the wiser with regards to installation. Ideally I would like to "hardwire" this to my current light switch placement. However, I am unsure from the pictures if this is necessary or possible. thus:

1. to control ring lights (ceiling, not desk lamps) does one have to remove the light switch cover and reconnect the wires to the terminals on the LC2, or does the LC2 simply sit over the original light switch?

2. Could I do this myself by turning the house electricity off and wiring it up (I take it it is just two terminals that need screwing on)?

3. What other equipment would I need besides the Beo4 or Beo5 if supported?

4. If I bought one of these from Europe or the States would I have to take into consideration voltage differences?

Thanks as always

Graham

PS If anyone has one for sale or that they do not want please PM me or something.

• 07-31-2008 11:17 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: LC2 confusion

Hi Graham!

1. The LC2 replaces the normal light switch Sorry for this misinformation.

2. You can do it yourself, it is not very complicated, just put the wires in the correct place. (Check if you have an installation guide with the LC2 you want to buy)

3. You need no other equipment than the remote control. (except the light)

4. no idea 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 07-31-2008 11:25 AM In reply to

One other thing - with the LC2 is the light always "on" because as a dimmer switch you just adjust the resistance thus decreasing/increasing the intensity of the light. Therefore do you waste electricity because it is always on stand-by?

Thanks

Graham

• 07-31-2008 11:35 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Graham1982:

One other thing - with the LC2 is the light always "on" because as a dimmer switch you just adjust the resistance thus decreasing/increasing the intensity of the light. Therefore do you waste electricity because it is always on stand-by?

Thanks

Graham

I have a the installation booklet from B&O from my old LC2- send me a PM i will mail it to you

• 07-31-2008 11:44 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Graham, an LC2 will NOT replace a standard light switch. Not in the U.K. anyway. This is because the LC2 needs both a Neutral and Live feed to work. You will not have a Neutral supply behind a standard light switch, nor a dimmer switch for that matter. Even if you can see Black and Red wire behind your switch both wires will be live. One is the feed to the switch and the other a return to the light fitting. LC2's are designed to fit into the wire on your pendant.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-31-2008 11:48 AM In reply to

Hi:

Pendant being the switch on a desk lamp or something?

Does this mean it is impossible in UK homes or it means the whole house would have to be rewired?

Is it possible at all?

Thanks

Graham

Filed under:
  • 07-31-2008 11:51 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

What does you light fitting look like? If it is a drop Pendant, where you have a length of cable from the ceiling then a bulb holder. You will have no problem in using an LC2. If it is a complete light fitting where the is no visible cable. Then you cannot use an LC2.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-31-2008 11:55 AM In reply to

Yeah there is a wire hanging from the ceiling, then a white holder and the bulb. So will I just wire it up in the standard way as per the instructions?

Thanks

Graham

• 07-31-2008 11:57 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Graham1982:

Hi:

Pendant being the switch on a desk lamp or something?

Does this mean it is impossible in UK homes or it means the whole house would have to be rewired?

Is it possible at all?

Thanks

Graham

As has been indicated you need a live and a neutral to make it work. The total loading of the unit is not that high so its use is maninly geared to splitting the wire in a table lamp or the cable drop from a central light fitting.

What most people do is to use the LC2 to control table lights and not attempt to replace the main light switch- in any event the LC2 is  abit bulky for that!

• 07-31-2008 11:58 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Good, then you will have no problem using an LC2. All you will need to do is cut the wire in half and wire in the LC2 as per the instructions.

CraigSmile

• 07-31-2008 12:01 PM In reply to

Hi:

Sorry for the stupid questions. However, as I live in rented accommodation I was hoping it was going to be as simple as switching the mains off, taking off the old light switch, sticking it in the drawer and then wiring up the LC2. When I have moved ouut, replace old light switch. However, as you mention cutting the cable, will I be able to replace the switch and pretend that it was never changed or would I have to get the electrician in to lay another cable. LOL.

• 07-31-2008 12:04 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Graham1982:

Hi:

Sorry for the stupid questions. However, as I live in rented accommodation I was hoping it was going to be as simple as switching the mains off, taking off the old light switch, sticking it in the drawer and then wiring up the LC2. When I have moved ouut, replace old light switch. However, as you mention cutting the cable, will I be able to replace the switch and pretend that it was never changed or would I have to get the electrician in to lay another cable. LOL.

You CANNOT replace the switch as you WONT have a neutral feed- so FORGET the idea of doing that for good.

IF you want to use the LC2 to control one ceiling light or table lights just CUT the cable and insert the LC2 between said items.

if you want to get the electrician in to dig out the wall, lift the floorboards ect to insert a neutral feed then faor enough but you will have  abig bill!

• 07-31-2008 12:07 PM In reply to

Oh:

I get it now - nothing to do with the wall socket - I need to cut the cable that the light is hanging from and put the switch in between the ceiling and the bulb. This is easier I guess but I was hoping it would be on the wall so it would look nice as opposed to dangling in the middle.

Have I got the right idea now?

Thanks

Graham

• 07-31-2008 12:07 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Graham, I have just sent you a PM. In answer to you last post 355F is correct in you CANNOT replace the switch. It will be easy to put it back to how it was when you move out. We were in rented property at our last address where it was used.

CraigSmile

• 07-31-2008 2:30 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Graham1982:

so it would look nice as opposed to dangling in the middle.

I think dangling in the middle looks nice!
    Here's mine.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-31-2008 2:38 PM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

Nice one Andy!!

Here is mine. Is not an LC2 (this is from Innovus), but the connections are the same.

Quim

• 08-01-2008 9:17 PM In reply to

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Hi, I have a similar query;

What if you connect the standard light switch as normal, but have it permanently switched on and hide it in the cavity and then attach the LC2 where the switch was, so it will appear to be in line with power on both sides? Would this work?? Or do you still need a neutral feed?

Cheers TC

• 08-02-2008 12:12 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

It would not work as you still need a Neutral feed. The internal electronics of the LC2 require both Live & Neutral to work. As far as I know the only way you could replace a standard light switch with an LC2 would be to have the wiring from the light fitting to the switch replaced so that you have both Live and Neutral. Not an easy job unless you are in the process of having your house rewired.Laughing

CraigSmile

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)