in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-07-2008 7:30 AM by soundproof. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2008 11:38 PM

Beolab 5

hi  everyone,

Tomorrow I'm going to buy a pair of Beolab 5 and I need your precious thoughts….

The speakers are  used (4 months old). What should I do in order to be sure that everything is fine? (PIN CODE check etc...)

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

all sold!

• 07-31-2008 1:46 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 5

I would want to see the receipt from the dealer and the PIN code as you say. Other than that, I would simply check their condition - the discs are expensive to replace.
  • 07-31-2008 4:54 AM In reply to

1. Check that the calibration microphones work. Some are careless with their vacuum cleaners. Go through calibration on both speakers while they are connected.

2. Listen to music you know. The music should contain both bass and high trebles.

Listen to each loudspeaker element -- bottom bass (hold your hand there to check that you feel air pushed towards it by the large driver.)

Listen to the front directed woofer (under the cloth).

Then listen to both mid and top drivers (in the lenses). Are they working, creating sound. Any buzzing, clicking, etc.

Run the volume up very high - no need to expose yourself to hearing damage, but you may expose some problems when you take the volume up. 

3. Visually inspect the domes of the exposed mid and treble drivers. Have they been pushed in, cut? Try to avoid touching them, but use a small flashlight to get a good look. They should be smooth, round, no lines or cracks or signs of having been pushed in and then sucked out again. (Kids can't keep their hands away ...)

4. Check the connector panel in the back, that nothing's broken off (a dancer tripping on a cable, for instance ...) 

5. As they're only four months old (check the receipt) they're still under warranty, so you're safe on most things that are not a result of carelessness. 

Enjoy! 

• 07-31-2008 6:29 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Ask the seller if he can have them unplugged from the mains for at least half an hour before you collect them, then ask him to enter the PIN code etc... as you arrive, and also run through the whole calibration process. Check them as Soundproof says, at all volume (don't worry about turning them up to loud, they're incredibly robust speakers), protection mode should cut in if they're overworked (power down and power up at the mains).

Also, check the condition of all the aluminium discs, as Peter says - they're difficult to replace. Also check the grilles, the midrange and tweeter drivers, and even the condition of the 15" bass driver in the bottom of the speakers.

One last thing to check, is that the rubber feet are still on the bottom of the speakers. Gently tilt the speaker over onto it's side (it may take two people to do this) and you'll see if there are any of the rubber strips missing. If there are, you may be able to knock £50 off the price. Stick out tongue

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-31-2008 11:32 AM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Having purchased several second hand items. .I would make sure that the owner of these speakers has them properly registered with B&O.  I am in the process of purchasing a 7-1 center speaker and was informed that since the original purchaser did not register it for warranty I am unable to use the warranty. .

Good luck. . .They are fantastic speakers, I have a pair myself. . .

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 08-02-2008 6:48 PM In reply to

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate...

Speakers arrived today. They are in mint condition in original packaging.

all sold!

• 08-02-2008 6:49 PM In reply to

and here....

all sold!

• 08-03-2008 12:02 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Very nice
    -Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 08-03-2008 1:19 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Enjoy!  the Lab 5 are my best B&O purchase ever!

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 08-03-2008 1:44 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

11048437:
    However, I'm upset as 1 of my Beolab 1 it's not working anymore since yersterday!!!!!! 

The BL1 may have heard that you will replace him and might be sensitive about it!

Enjoy your great purchase! 

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 08-03-2008 5:13 AM In reply to

mjmedlo:

Having purchased several second hand items. .I would make sure that the owner of these speakers has them properly registered with B&O.  I am in the process of purchasing a 7-1 center speaker and was informed that since the original purchaser did not register it for warranty I am unable to use the warranty. .

I don't know  which part of the world you are in but here in the UK there is no requirement to register any purchase with B&O to obtain warranty repairs. All you need is the original receipt showing date of purchase. B&O UK also send the purchaser a certificate but as far as I am aware, this is not required to obtain warranty repairs.

In reality, none of the above is required since B&O will know from their records exactly when the item was sold and when the warranty expires, all they need is the serial number of the item in question.

Regards Graham

• 08-04-2008 7:31 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Correct, although you may wish to mention to the B&O dealer that you purchased the speakers off the original owner, or else they may believe they are stolen.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-04-2008 8:15 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Lovely speakers!  I'm jealous.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-04-2008 9:39 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Jandyt:

Lovely may be an understatment :D

Constantine, sorry to hear your speaker has stopped working, i wonder how this could have happened? I suppose you can't keep those 1's on ebay for 2900 pounds anymore! Geeked

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 08-04-2008 10:06 AM In reply to

Dave:

Jandyt:

Lovely may be an understatment :D

Thanks Dave....

I'll keep my Beolab1.

all sold!

• 08-05-2008 4:48 PM In reply to

Hi

Congratulations with your new speakers.

Have you found out what happened to the BL1?

What do all you guys think about BL5 2.nd hand deals..! I know what I would look for visual etc. But what about the performance? what about how they have been "played" does this matters with the BL5's, I think they are strong and can take the most different music styles, so would this really be an issue or not how hard they have been played before or which music played on them, maybe it sound like a very stupid question, sorry Unsure . Now these is only 4 month old so this should not really be a problem.

But I think that most people would like to buy the sports car from an old man rather from a young guy that just have got his driver licence Big Smile

Thanks

Anders

Regards Anders

• 08-06-2008 4:41 AM In reply to

Speakers are among the components it's safe to buy 2nd hand - and with BL5 you really shouldn't have an issue. The built-in protection circuits should ensure that they haven't been played loud enough to do any damage. 

Check that they have been taken care of, and follow the suggestions above. 

• 08-07-2008 2:56 AM In reply to

soundproof:

Speakers are among the components it's safe to buy 2nd hand - and with BL5 you really shouldn't have an issue. The built-in protection circuits should ensure that they haven't been played loud enough to do any damage. 

Check that they have been taken care of, and follow the suggestions above. 

Thanks for your input and answer.

I got a nice pair home with me yesterday, only missing some of the things in the retail package (tools, service bracket, brush, cover?) , but he will send them to me later on.

btw; does the 10m sync. cable follow with the BL5 from factory and the other things that are listed on the retail "not shown" list? thanks

Regards Anders

• 08-07-2008 3:29 AM In reply to

Some of the items on that list are for service personnel. You shouldn't need the special tool for the top cover, for instance, or the service bracket.

The sync cable has to be ordered separately, as that is to be used when the speakers are connected to non-B&O masters.

If you have small kids, you might want to order the soft-cloth covers, as the temptation for little fingers to play with the soft speaker domes will be much reduced when they can't see them.

Looking forwards to hearing your report when you have found the best place for them. Seem to remember you had a very nice listening room, with large volume.

• 08-07-2008 4:41 AM In reply to

Okay thanks

Yes I know that the sync. Cable is only for usage with non-B&O master, but this is an option that I also would like to play around with when I feel for it.

Okay, does that mean that this cover is in the retail Box from factory? if yes then I want the seller to order one for me and send it, if not then I might want to buy one myself, but my kids are so old now that I think that this should not be any problem.

Yes, we have a big room 50m2 (538sqft) but when we opens the 4m wide door to the kitchen room then we have 80m2(861sqft), so I will try to place them different places to find the best spot both visual and listening spot. I will also try to move them close and far from the walls to hear the difference.

What about you, have you found "your" favourite spot?

Regards Anders

• 08-07-2008 7:30 AM In reply to

Yes - I knew which room they were going to be in, and had a general idea as to where they would perform best. A good distance to the back and side walls and an almost true isosceles triangle - head>speakers - my head is just outside that triangle.

Do spend a little time hunting for the best position - even with the calibration, you want to ensure you have the clearest possible bass definition, no standing waves and a good distance to the back wall, to avoid too early reflections.

They sound wonderful, and bring a smile to my face whenever I sit down to listen. 

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)