in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-29-2008 6:58 AM by Alex. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2008 1:18 PM

Beolab 9's

Hi there,

I just wondered whether it's possible to change the colours (frets) on these speakers. Also, has any one heard them with a Beolab 2, is it needed in regards to the full sorround sound movie experience?

• 07-26-2008 1:32 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 9's

Hi Londonguy.

First of all, yes you can change the colors, they come in red, blue, black and maybe dark gray,cant quite remember the last one.

Your second question has been discussed frequently in here and there seems to be different opinions regarding using BL2 with BL9´s. I have got BL 9´s and must say that i do not feel the use of a sub at all. Even though the Bl2 i capable of producing lower frequencies than the lab 9´s, i do not find it to be worth the extra money. Really depends on weather you will use them for music or movies? For movies, a BL2 will give the extra punch but with music i myself dont need it.

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 07-26-2008 1:44 PM In reply to

Hi Ehlerz,

Thanks for the response, i had a look on the price list and couldn't find the fret covers listed and that's what promted that question. Do you know how much they cost?

I will be using them mainly for movies. I already have a Beolab 2 but was going to sell it once the 9 had arrived.

• 07-26-2008 2:12 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

I believe the frets cost 100€ per loudspeaker.

Gustavo

• 07-26-2008 2:51 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Yes, they come in dark grey (as I own these). I thought it was around £100 per fret and there were two per speaker?
  • 07-26-2008 3:11 PM In reply to

Hi Moxxey,

Do you have yours working with a Beolab 2? How are the speakers with movies, do they still provide the rumble that the :ab 2 produces?

• 07-26-2008 5:13 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Yes, I have the BL2 (before the BL9's) and I've almost turned it off. Not required and definitely not required in an apartment! I could sell it I suppose, but it's a very early model and I bought it second hand, so my thought was it's probably 'worth' more to me, for future use?
  • 07-26-2008 6:02 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd say so. The BeoLab 2 is capable of producing much more bass than the BeoLab 9s themselves can, and will also produce sound deeper too, although it's not needed most of the time, the BeoLab 9s are capable of producing far more bass than you would expect from a small pair of speakers.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-27-2008 11:53 AM In reply to

agree alex although I had another good listen the other day and found bl9 a little 'unbalanced', very clear sharp treble and mid range and bass a little unclear and muffled, i thinks bl2 is required. none the less for such size bl9 are very good speakers
  • 07-27-2008 12:44 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

vlohjr1:
    agree alex although I had another good listen the other day and found bl9 a little 'unbalanced', very clear sharp treble and mid range and bass a little unclear and muffled, i thinks bl2 is required. none the less for such size bl9 are very good speakers

Well of course we all 'hear' speakers in a different way.

I swopped 8000 and BL2 for BL9 and in my opinion they are a little gem from B&O. Clear and sharp yes, but 'unclear and muffled bass'???I I feel the bass is very tight and accurate-have never heard that remark before and can only assume its down to room positioning.

I think most would award that acolade universally to the BL2- thats passive radiators for you.

Of course if one wants to rattle the windows with bass get the BL2 but for me- it ruins music

• 07-27-2008 1:11 PM In reply to

Having heard badly set up BL9s, I can recognise the description! Some (poor) dealers think that placing them against a wall or in a corner and then putting the switches to free standing and turning the loudness on makes them sound impressive - it doesn't.

Set up properly they are a great speaker - but still not BL5s!  I agree about the BL2 and music more and more. Excellent with surround sound though.

• 07-27-2008 4:05 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

vlohjr1:

I didn't mean the BeoLab 2 is required with BeoLab 9s, merely that in a large-medium or very-large room, if you want to get the kind of bass levels needed by a movie-head or heavy dance music, the BeoLab 2 really adds a lot. Most of the time, the BeoLab 9s produce snappier, more musical bass IMO.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-27-2008 5:30 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I bought a pair of BeoLab 9's, and the dealer i bought them from simply said "you will not need a BeoLab2"

Well, anyone that tells me what i need gets ignored.. Laughing

However.. i hate to say it, but he was right.  I used the BL2 for about a month, but instantly i thought 'hmm.. too much bass..'  -  I did persevere, but in the end i removed the BL2 and sold it.  I have not regretted it at all, and find the BeoLab 9 a truly superb speaker in every respect.  The bass, when needed, is deep and very precise.

If your living space cannot handle the sheer size of BeoLab 5, the BeoLab 9 is a brilliant 'second'. It's the nearest thing to BL5 i have ever heard, and i guarantee that nobody will be disappointed with them.  That's a strong statement i know, but that comes from a skeptic as well as an enthusiast.  If a B&O product is rubbish, i will be the first to say!

Lee 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-28-2008 10:10 AM In reply to

I purchased a set of Lab9's, and thought (and still do) the sound from them was awsome, I then borrowed a sub from a dealer and realised what a difference it makes (this is in a largeish room).

The Lab 9s are really really nice, and produce great sound...But when you have the sub attached...you 'feel' the base, not just hear it. And that's great for movies (although not needed for anything else).

You don't know you want it until you 'feel' it.

• 07-28-2008 4:16 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

That doesn't mean it'll always be better though, the BeoLab 2 will often just end up confusing the sound in a small to large/medium room. The BeoLab 9s can produce oodles of bass by themselves!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-28-2008 7:46 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

That doesn't mean it'll always be better though, the BeoLab 2 will often just end up confusing the sound in a small to large/medium room. The BeoLab 9s can produce oodles of bass by themselves!

Alex,

A quick question from the 'left' side of the Pond...are 'oodles' metric or english?  Stick out tongue

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-29-2008 6:58 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member