in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-12-2007 7:11 PM by kimberley. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-10-2007 5:31 PM

Beolit speakers (getting stuck etc)

On the old forum there were several posts on the speakers (and their problems) from the beolits 70's model, to 'refresh a bit: some people try to repair a stuck one, i'm trying to get one fixed in Bangkok and some people wonder where they came from.
    On the latter: today i got a beolit 707 from 1st owner and in it is...a Vifa (labelled) speaker, same model as the B&O one and same sound.
    I sent an email to Vifa to find out about this and (of course) to see if they still have some of these :).
    If anyone else has some 'news' on these.....
  • 05-11-2007 7:32 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beolit speakers (getting stuck etc)

Unfortunately, stuck Beolit speakers is a common problem. They seem to freeze completely for no apparent reason and the same thing seem to happen to the woofers in the Beovox P45 wall panel speakers and also the "Filler" unit in the Beovox M70 which is of a very similar physical build (though different from the Beolit ones) and with completely different specs.

I have several "common problems" lined up in an attempt to find solutions and I am currently looking into this particular problem.
    New drivers with the original specifications are impossible to find, the physical sizes alone are hopeless so a repair will probably be the way to go and initial tests and experiments shows that it may not be all impossible.

Martin

• 05-11-2007 9:28 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

In my quest for replacements I got hold of a Vifa too. It was used later by B & O to replace the the Seas ones when Beolits went in for repair. Vifa no longer produce them. The one I got came from Canada and apparently out of a medical hearing test machine!

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 05-11-2007 5:06 PM In reply to

@Martin: as you know i'm trying to find some repair solution but when.....apart from that to repair one you need broken ones and even those are hard to find :) (i have one now which isn't stuck but has a broken coil for a change).
    But as you know i'll keep you updated if finally anything pops up (from the far east).

@Stonk: the owner of the radio said it was never repaired (so it originally came with the Vifa unit ?) but i know the other beolits i have here are with Seas speakers.
    But from this radio the diagram and enveloppe was gone so maybe the owner forgot a repair...??

No reply from Vifa as yet....

What i want to keep sort of secret (before all is gone): at German Ebay there's an Ebay shop, a guy sells the plastic clips (black and gey) and volume/tone knobs (silver) new old stock for i have to say quite fair prices.
    Got my stuff yesterday, including antenna but this one doesn't seem to be original, probably not going to fit and doesn't come with the typical alu tip.
    So anyway, anyone with broken speakers: don't dump them ! :)
  • 05-11-2007 6:14 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

ipaul:
    What i want to keep sort of secret (before all is gone): at German Ebay there's an Ebay shop, a guy sells the plastic clips (black and gey) and volume/tone knobs (silver) new old stock for i have to say quite fair prices.
    Got my stuff yesterday, including antenna but this one doesn't seem to be original, probably not going to fit and doesn't come with the typical alu tip.
    So anyway, anyone with broken speakers: don't dump them ! :)

I think Stonk is already aware of the German ebay seller - well to be honest I KNOW he is as I've made him and the rest of the forum aware of his sales. I apologise if this impacts on any ventures you have but as a member of this community I felt it only fair to make people aware of the availabilty of these hard to find parts.

I'm intrigued by what you say regarding the antenna though which makes me wonder if he is selling reproduction parts - nothing wrong with that of course but I'd expect them to be at least identical & compatible.Hmm

As for the speakers, quite right, don't throw them away as I'm sure someone somewhere on this community will eventually come up with a repair solution - I've been doing quite some work on refurbishing B&O drivers myself recently and wouldn't mind having a crack at these myself.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-12-2007 6:25 AM In reply to

:), it doesn't have an impact on my 'ventures' (after all i got the things i need), the same reason as you mention is why i mentioned it but what i'm getting at is that this is not an infinite source so by making it public he may sell his 44 knobs vey fast and if i need 2 more it's all gone so that's the 'double feeling' i guess everybody has with these things :), but of course everybody who needs them can and should get it ...

The grey clips are darker than my original ones, the slider knobs (with the plastic bit under it) seem to be like original.
    Also because his stock is limited i don't think these are repros
    It also may be that the last parts from B&O look different from the earlier/original ones...

Anyway, let's keep each other updated here on bits, pieces and parts.
  • 05-12-2007 7:11 PM In reply to

While a 'stuck' speaker is a major problem, at least it doesn't make a Beolit of the 1970s completely useless. As a student in the '70s in London, we suffered frequent power cuts (even if the electricity bill had been paid): I at leaststill had good music with my Beolit 700 driving one of my 'big' speakers from the Hi-Fi system. O.K., it was mono, but it sounded good by candle-light. The Beolit will drive a surprisingly large external loudspeaker from the DIN 2-pin on the side and do so very well - but not for very long on batteries! Adam.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)