in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-15-2008 1:42 PM by takktakk. 60 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2008 7:11 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

Re: The ultimate track for B&O?

ABBA: The Day Before You Came. The song has so many sound layers that just sound perfectly through Beolab 1's. One day I want to hear it through Beolab 5's at my dealer. I keep postponing that, because I'm affraid that I will want to have a pair of Beolab 5's when I hear them.
  • 07-26-2008 10:36 AM In reply to

It's really nice to hear Soundproof cite Duke Ellington's Dimuendo and Crescendo in Blue (Newport, 1956).  I bought a copy of that record as soon as it came out (sometime in the Fall of '56) and then actually heard the band play it live in a medium-sized club in Chicago the following summer (a huge musical moment for me!!!  Mercy!).  

I often use it as an example of an absolutely magnificent performance that completely eclipses mediocre recording quality.  In any case, for the rest of you who don't know it, "Ellington at Newport 1956" is right up there with Miles' "Kind of Blue" and "Mingus Ah Um" from that period.  Buy it and enjoy!  

It's also very gratifying to hearSoundproof say that he doesn't have any recent experience listening to speakers without ALT.  Thanks for that!  

I have all kinds of favorite tracks, and I'd hate to stick with a short list.  Let's put it this way: good or great recordings in any genre tend to sound great on BeoLab 5s!  I enjoy 'em all!

Best,

Dave
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 07-26-2008 3:50 PM In reply to

• astrauch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Saarbrücken, Germany
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

My favorite test track is Diana Krall - Devil May Care from the Live CD/DVD.

It has piano, guitar, bass, percussion and very nice vocals

When we got our Beolab 9's in december this song totally blew us away!

Trentemøller - Take Me Into Your Skin is also great track for testing Hi-Fi, and it's from Denmark :-D

• 07-26-2008 3:53 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

kokomo:

A Day in the life? Yes a great track, but absolutely devoid of any audio dynamic qualities. 

Devoid of any audio dynamic qualities?

I'm amazed you think so. The build up to, and subsequent final crescendo to this track cannot possibly fall into that category IMO.

Either way the OP asked for the one track which you would choose and this would still be mine.Smile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-26-2008 6:05 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Fair enough! Hifi is more about the music than the sound, but I agree with kokomo, in that while A Day In The Life is an amazing recording for it's time, it's nothing in comparison to recordings that were done even a few years later, such as Dark Side Of The Moon (which wouldn't have sounded as good where it not for Sgt. Pepper in the first place).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-26-2008 6:10 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Got to be Black Magic Woman by Santana Big Smile
  • 07-27-2008 2:27 AM In reply to

Dynamic as used in describing music refers to the difference between soft/quiet and loud sections. From pp to ff, if you want. A track that crashes and bangs on for 3 minutes plus is not dynamic, it's just loud. In modern music intended for radioplay, etc - the dynamic is more from mezzopiano to mezzoforte than from pianissimo to fortissimo.

Many artificial ways of reducing (compressing) the dynamic - the difference between soft/loud -  have resulted due to radio play, the use of mp3-players and general taste. Radio stations abhor quiet sections, as people use the radio to drown out background noise at work and elsewhere -- a quiet section will sound as silence, and people then change to another station.
    For this reason alone, it's actually very difficult to find modern, popular music with dynamic properties. In addition, iPod playback has also not been good for music that is dynamic, due to the noise floor where people listen to such music: the tram, in a city street, crowded places. The surrounding noise is such that you want your music to come through -- some recourse occured with in-ear plugs, but most people don't use those. Which means that mp3-player listeners prefer music of sufficient relative loudness to be able to drown out surrounding noise.

In the Diminuendo in Blue track you have the contrast between a single instrument tenderly weaving a note, and over 30 people joining in at full blast with their instruments, a second afterwards ... and a lot of variations on this over the 15 minutes the track lasts.

In modern radio play you'd never get to hear a 15 minute track in the first place, and the dynamics of this one would get it nixed for a playlist. It's brilliant loudspeakerfood, though, and will give you a good impression of how sensitive your speakers are, how well they can depict sudden changes in dynamic without actual or perceived distortion, etc.

AND: I am so envious of Dave Moulton who has experienced Duke Ellington's orchestra LIVE, performing this music!!!

• 07-27-2008 4:57 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Soundproof.

I am quite interested in getting this track, so searched for it on Google. Amongst various sellers of CD and vinyll there was a "You Tube" video lasting ten minutes (Maximum allowed) and I was mesmerised.
    Would you recommend buying this on an LP or a remastered CD?
    Also, as it was 1956, was it a monoaural recording?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-27-2008 5:56 AM In reply to

The remastered CDs version of Ellington's Newport concert is very good, and I would recommend that. (It's also available as LP, I have compared both and as it's an extensive concert, with lots of tracks, I find the convenience of CD-playback preferable.)

I'm pretty certain that you will not regret the purchase. There are stereo tracks - some of the stereo-tracks have been recreated due to the existence of tape from two recording setups -- this works quite well.

In addition to Gonsalves sax, the last six minutes of Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue are inbelievable. There are lots of other good tracks on this 2CD set.

It's an experience in pure music. I believe there's an abridged version with a selection of tracks, but it's worth it to get the complete one.

• 07-27-2008 6:19 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-27-2008 6:29 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Coldplay - Clocks or Debussy - Clair De Lune (the perfect piano song).

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 07-27-2008 7:28 AM In reply to

Jandyt:

Me too! 

• 07-27-2008 8:26 AM In reply to

wirralsimon:

I know you'll have fun. When I got this as a gift, I was told to just clear my schedule one evening, find a bottle of my favourite beverage and just sit down and listen to the concert, from start to finish. That was good advice!

• 07-29-2008 6:02 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Arrived this morning (Wow!)
    Won't be able to listen to it 'til teatime thoughSad

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-29-2008 1:42 PM In reply to

jack jones sings michel legrand

grate voice meets grate musician

nuff said 

popgear is grate™

• 07-29-2008 3:52 PM In reply to

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

My opinion is that almost all music is too compressed nowadays, except classical music. Remastered albums often means “extra compression”.

I think the most interesting recordings are demo recordings and non commercial live recordings since these usually are pretty raw and not too much processed.

• 07-30-2008 5:38 AM In reply to

3 suggestions of the top my head. 

1. Idaho - Nerina Pallot but it must be the Live from Abbey Road DVD.

2. Trouble - Ray LaMontagne as before from the Live from Abbey Road DVD. 

3. Take Five - Dave Brubeck. 

------------------------- Looking forward to the Summer!
  • 07-30-2008 9:14 AM In reply to

Jandyt:
    Arrived this morning (Wow!)
    Won't be able to listen to it 'til teatime thoughSad

Hope the music was enjoyable, Andy. Kind of feel responsible for the purchase! 

• 07-30-2008 9:33 AM In reply to

• geomich69
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-13-2008
    • THESSALONIKI , GREECE
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

Listen to Dave Brubeck's Quartet High Definition CD. 

Especially the well known "Take Five" ....it's like you never heard that before!

All instruments are at the correct tone and the clarity of the sound is superb.

• 07-30-2008 9:53 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Ok, here goes.
    I am not a huge fan of Jazz normally, but this CD has changed my opinion quite a lot.
    I started off just listening to the one track, "Diminuendo etc" over again on different speakers.
    First S30s, then the S120s I refoamed myself, Then Redlines, then my fantastic Beovox 5000/2500 combo, then Beolab Pentas and finally in 'double stereo' with Pentas and Beolab 8000s.

My verdict-----
    Joint first place  between Pentas on their own, and the 5000/2500 combo.
    I did not have it on very high volume, though it was quite loud. The high notes near the end of the track are amazing!
    Also the relentless Pss Pss Pss Pss of the cymbals and the DUM dum DUM dum of the double bass make this a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
    I did find that the stereo seperation was far better on my 5000/2500 through the Beolab 5000 amp than the Pentas connected to my Avant. I have my cubes very far apart now! The people shouting and whooping in the background seem to come from almost behind me!
    I was transported back to Newport in 1956. Wish I was really there.

On Sunday afternoon, Mary next door is going on a coach trip to Whitby so I will get chance to pump up the volume, looking forward to that!
    Don't feel guilty about making me buy the CD, it was definately money well spent.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-30-2008 11:44 AM In reply to

I will go for any well sounding/recorded types of music. Ok one of my few Jazz bits is from Carnige Hall 1938 so not the most perfect but great music.

Anyway there seems to be a lack of flair here. Any hardrock fans here at all? I listen to all kinds of music but hardrock and heavy still sounds good on a B&O system. What about Deep Purple Machinehead at a good volume?

Remember Black Velvet by Allanah Myles? Her debut album from 1989 sounds awsome on a Beogram 8002.

I think most people if is a Beogram will go: Is that vinyl?

If it's well recorded a Beocord can sound just as good.

• 07-31-2008 4:23 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Had to see what this is all about so I joined the club

Laughing

I also like "Twist in my sobriety" by Tanita Tikaram.

Martin

• 07-31-2008 5:09 AM In reply to

Dillen:

Laughing

Martin

You won't regret it!

Been listening last night and this morning. It's sounds incredibly fresh for a recording that is more than 50 years old!

Simon

• 07-31-2008 6:00 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Dillen:

Laughing

Martin

LaughingLaughing
    I think Soundproof must be working on some kind of commision basis!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-31-2008 11:16 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I got my copy of 'Brasiliero' today.  Fantastic!  Thanks for the tip!

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

Page 2 of 3 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >