in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-15-2008 1:42 PM by takktakk. 60 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (61 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-24-2008 3:05 AM

• Earle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2008
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

The ultimate track for B&O?

I'm interested to see what other people have to say. If you had the chance to play ONE song for a friend, to demonstrate the sound dynamics of a B&O speaker, what would it be?

Perhaps I could come up with a tracklisting of the ultimate demo-CD!

BTW, my song of choice would probably be Hotel California by The Eagles (Hell Freezes Over acoustic version)

www.myspace.com/djbosconian www.myspace.com/earlec
  • 07-24-2008 3:21 AM In reply to

Re: The ultimate track for B&O?

Well - Hotel California is string and voice, and a good choice. Played to death by B&O dealers.
    But it would be nice to challenge the speakers more, with greater dynamics and variety, wouldn't it?

How about a 52 years old recording: Duke Ellington's Newport 1956 recording. Play Diminuendo in Blue, Live, and you'll have your B&O speakers pretty pleased.

Hugh Masekela: Stimela (the version found on Hope)

Elina Garanca: Werther, from her debut album.

• 07-24-2008 4:11 AM In reply to

• Bart
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

One of my favorite tracks is actually a B&O demo track which I got with my Beosystem 2300 way back in 1992: Thom Rotella, The Immigrants.

Bart

• 07-24-2008 4:35 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

My favourite test tracks include:

Fleetwood Mac - You Make Loving Fun (not the remastered the version, only the version which is on Rumours)
    Fleetwood Mac - Dreams (again, same as above)
    Radiohead - Morning Bell (Kid A version)
    Röyksopp - Sparks
    Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy

To name just a few. I mainly use these because they're well recorded, not over produced (to the extent that you can still hear little nuances in the recordings on a good system, which isn't the case with over-produced pop-trash) but well produced enough that they sound excellent when reproduced well, and also because I've listened to them many times.

I would use the Hell Freezes Over recording of Hotel California, but I've heard it so many times I'm sick of it!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-24-2008 8:08 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Specifically for the BeoLab 5's:

The O-Zone Percussion Group, CD 'La Bamba' track #10 "Jazz Variants"

Phil Collins DVD "Finally...the First Farewell Tour", Disc 2, "Take me Home"

Don't bother with the 9's, 1's, Pentas, or anything with a BL-2...trust me.  Geeked

I also rather like K T Tunstall's "Heal Over" from 'Eye to the Telescope', Several tracks from Gloria Estefan's 'Mi Tierra' and The Glenn Miller Orchestra's 'In the Digital Mood'.

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-24-2008 9:36 AM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

anything from the pink floyd pulse album will be fantastic. .  

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 07-24-2008 10:35 AM In reply to

mjmedlo:

anything from the pink floyd pulse album will be fantastic. .  

Dark Side of the Moon has probably been used for more hi-fi demos over the years than anything else!

Simon

• 07-24-2008 11:15 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Earle:

I'm interested to see what other people have to say. If you had the chance to play ONE song for a friend, to demonstrate the sound dynamics of a B&O speaker, what would it be?

BTW, my song of choice would probably be Hotel California by The Eagles (Hell Freezes Over acoustic version)

Two appropriate suggestions for B&O perhaps, "Goodbye" or "Those Were The days" by Mary Hopkin!

Wink   

• 07-24-2008 1:54 PM In reply to

I have BL 1 & BL 2

When I whant to impress friends and "no believers" I play the first track from Paul Van Dyk`s REFLECTIONS album called CRUSH. Impressive soundstage, kick-ass bass and crystal clear vocals Party!!!

See hear feel B&O.

• 07-24-2008 2:55 PM In reply to

jeff beck - goodbye pork pie hat

that track oozes 'atmosphere' 

popgear is grate™

• 07-24-2008 2:57 PM In reply to

kokomo:
    Earle:

Two appropriate suggestions for B&O perhaps, "Goodbye" or "Those Were The days" by Mary Hopkin!

Wink   

hahaha

OH YOU ROTTER !!! :) 

popgear is grate™

• 07-24-2008 3:23 PM In reply to

Try Fanfarra from the album Brasileiro from Sergio Mendez on Beolab Penta's. It is a song with 100 drummers, recorded in a parkinggarage because there was not enough room in the studio for them. It will smash everybody to the wall!

I had to get a constructor in because there where cracks (is this good english?) in the outside walls of my appartement when i played it on 4 Pentalabs on level 60!

You do not own B&O, it owns you!

• 07-24-2008 4:00 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

For showing off my Avant--Pentalabs--BL8000s, It has to be Hotel California in surround sound. My version is the Live from Melbourne Farewell Tour. I never tire of this.

For my Beogram 3000 acoustical--Beolab 5000amp--Beovox 5000--Beovox2500(cubes)  Elton John, "Funeral for a Friend" on vinyll (of course)
    I don't normally like EJ but this track is awesome. Starts of loud, then goes bloody loud, then shakes the whole house!

MP3 through the same system--- Sarah McLachlan   "Angel"  or Eva Cassidy  "Over the Rainbow"   for sheer clarity and silent silences.(I know what I mean)

Beogram CD7000 through same system. Jean-Michel Jarre  "Oxygene" for vast range of frequencies. The cubes and serious woofers make the difference on this album.

Good thread by the wayYes -  thumbs up

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-24-2008 4:26 PM In reply to

jef stott - kemanche remix, saracen, funky nawari, etc...

exotic / techno / ...

just love it -he is on itunes if you want a sample!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 07-25-2008 3:07 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Earle:

Interesting, but perhaps inevitable really, that suggestions for a suitable track in terms of musical dynamics will I guess just happen to be some peoples' favourite pieces of music. Hotel California for example is a great classic, but hardly dynamically demanding! 

How many of you who have contributed have suggested music you don't particularly like?

I remember many years ago buying the album "1000 Airplanes on the Roof" by Philip Glass. I bought it for the intriguing title and that Linda Ronstadt was included on it. It is very dynamically demanding, but I think I listened to it about twice and that was enough for me! 

• 07-25-2008 11:57 AM In reply to

• beorebels
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • North of Germany
    • Posts 65
    • Founder

I think it´s very impressive to hear older vinyl with beogram 6500 (with the voice system) 4 beolabs 8000 with beolab 2 and beolab 7-4.

My favorites are The Eagles, the second side of the album "One these days" or You should hear Toto "Make Believe" from the album Toto IV.

On the other side there are some impressive music dvd´s: David Gilmour "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" Track 3 "Time"; play this a little bit louder and no one will have any doubt to the performance of the speakers. Also the Genesis Concert "When in Rome" disc 2 "Ripples" will give You feelings like in heaven.

beorebels

• 07-25-2008 1:10 PM In reply to

Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana  - played on a poor system it is just noise, good speakers and it is great.

The Introitus from Mozart's Requiem - lots of contrast.

• 07-25-2008 3:09 PM In reply to

'All on a Misty Morning' by Paul Weller always sounds good - also his cover of 'If I Could Only be Sure' is a really well produced record and would give any amp/speaker combination a good workout.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-25-2008 3:14 PM In reply to

Dire Straits  - Money for Nothing

Played on the beolab 5000's on dads timberframed walls.

It made one guy offer us £1400 for the speakers, which we turned down.

Regards Brett
  • 07-25-2008 3:18 PM In reply to

beo4life:

Great track! Got to be the album version with the extended intro though :) 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-25-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    beo4life:

Great track! Got to be the album version with the extended intro though :) 

People wet themselves when Sting stops singing and the drums and guitar kick in!

Regards Brett
  • 07-25-2008 4:36 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Sorry all you Eagles fans out there but "Hotel California" is one of the very few tracks I wouldn't let any where near any of my B&O - I hate that track with a passion!

My favourites depend on the media involved, for vinyl it has to be The Beatles "A Day In The Life". Favourite CD/Digital media track at the moment for me is just about anything from a "The Cure" CD I have call "Mixed Up" which is a compliation of all of their greatest tracks remixed and a brilliant album.

I completely concur with Peter's analysis of Smells Like Teen Spirit though - great track and deserving of a decent sound system.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-25-2008 5:10 PM In reply to

Equinoxe - Jean Michel Jarre. Brings out the drama in any system, lousy as a low bitrate mp3 though.

Delerium - Capercaillie - the whole album is a good test of detail and balance, best known track is 'Waiting for the wheel to turn'.

If you want to test out your Lab9's then you'll want a voice with intimacy, something like 'Dusty in Memphis' Dusty Springfield, or Tim Hardins 'If I were a carpenter' - far better this original than the Four tops version.

• 07-26-2008 2:54 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Medogsfat:

Sorry all you Eagles fans out there but "Hotel California" is one of the very few tracks I wouldn't let any where near any of my B&O - I hate that track with a passion!

My favourites depend on the media involved, for vinyl it has to be The Beatles "A Day In The Life". Favourite CD/Digital media track at the moment for me is just about anything from a "The Cure" CD I have call "Mixed Up" which is a compliation of all of their greatest tracks remixed and a brilliant album.

I completely concur with Peter's analysis of Smells Like Teen Spirit though - great track and deserving of a decent sound system.

Chris.

Surely the original question was about the sound and its capability to dynamically exploit a B&O system? It's not about "What's your favourite track"!

A Day in the life? Yes a great track, but absolutely devoid of any audio dynamic qualities. 

• 07-26-2008 3:45 AM In reply to

I will have to agree with kokomo that many of the tracks suggested are unsuited as reference material, due to excessive processing/post-production/lack of dynamics, etc.

The three tracks I suggested all have different properties relative to BeoLab playback. I've personally chosen to go with B&O's acoustic lens equipped speakers (BL5/BL3), as I believe they are unmatched when it comes to acoustic performances.

The first track is an "ancient" recording. On some speakers you get a musical experience, but the soundstage doesn't open up. There are more than 30 musicians on stage, and you should have a feel not only for them, but for the audience listening (and going wild) - with precise placement of the musical instruments. Compared to today's recording technology, this is low-fi, but B&O speakers give it life, trust me. Duke Ellington's Newport 1956 recording.  Diminuendo in Blue, Live.

Hugh Masekela: Stimela (the version found on Hope). This is much used in hi-fi circles. Again a live performance, incredible instrumental contributions by the band, and then Masekela singing, playing the trumpet and speaking, with the live audience unable to prevent themselves from responding enthusiastically.
    I have had people cry when hearing this in my listening room.

Elina Garanca: Werther, from her debut album. There may be edits here - but this is a sublime recording and performance, with bad speakers cracking up as Garanca tests their tweeters. The orchestra explores everything from tutti to sotto voce, and the ability of your speakers to provide details will be tested.

All three recordings have a large soundstage. Two of them have vocals, with a high degree of intimacy - one male and one female.
    One classical recording - suffering slightly from Deutsche Grammophon's tendency to close-mike - but then a good set of speakers let you listen for that.

The Hugh Masekela recording must be heard to be believed -- you'll test your bass, your highs, your detailing, your soundstage, the depth illusion.

And Diminuendo in Blue has an interesting property. When I play that back in full resolution (CD), I can play it as loud as I want. When I play it back as loudly in iTunes Store resolution the tweeters on my BL5s go mad when Gonsalves hits the highs at the end of the track. Apart from that, another recording that will show off a pair of BeoLabs.

(I don't have much recent listening experience with the B&O speakers that do not have acoustic lenses.)

Page 1 of 3 (61 items) 1 2 3 Next >