in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-24-2008 8:27 PM by alexdobbie. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-23-2008 6:20 PM

Beolab 5, Beovision 5 and AppleTV

Is it possible to connect the optical connector from an AppleTV to a pair of Beolab 5 speakers and still have the Beovision 5 connected to the speakers as well? I have looked in the manual but I am a bit confused because it doesn't show the use of an external audio source at the same time as a B&O television only seperately as far as I can tell. If you can how is the switching accomplished ? 
    Filed under: , ,
  • 07-23-2008 6:52 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolab 5, Beovision 5 and AppleTV

it will be be no problem through an optical-chinch bridge. I believe you possibly would have to use the List's 'AV' command to seperate the audio from video.

I do use beovision 5 and appleTV myself - have connected my sets of speakers through the BV5 though to utilize surround sound capabilities of the BV5

One thing I would like to make you aware of before buying any equipment though: there's always some lag in the audio (via masterlink) in regards to the sound through the television ... I don't mind that because e.g. my beolab2000 is in the bathroom etc ... but (as I anticipate the same could happen to your set-up) if you would have speakers and screen in the same room the asynchronous experience would definately ruin the joy of such an advanced system... 

• 07-23-2008 11:31 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Alex,

I'm thinking that your proposed connection won't work because you have missed one crucial issue.  Not all 'digital' signals are created equal. The beoLab 5 expects, and indeed only accepts, 'Red Book' CD audio streams on it's digital input.  I'm relatively certain that the Apple TV only outputs Dolby Digital surround, and Dolby Digital stereo on its digital output.  Make all connections through the BV-5, you'll be fine, really.

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-24-2008 4:36 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

No, I believe the Apple TV will output a straight PCM signal unless you ask it to do surround sound...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-24-2008 6:45 AM In reply to

Thanks for all your help. I suppose I should explain a little more about what I'm hoping to do.

The AppleTV would be connected to a distribution amp for SPDIF (i.e. one input and 2 outputs) it would be set to output PCM stereo. One of the outputs from the distributor would be connected to the Beolab 5's and the other would be connected to the Beovision 5. 

The idea is that the AppleTV could be controlled from either my laptop or iphone using the airtunes functionality. The speakers would be switched to the optical input in this case ( most probably using a macro on a Beo5). If I wanted to watch a video from the AppleTV the speakers would then be changed over to the powerlink interface and receive their feed from the Beovision 5 outputs. 

Can anyone see a problem with any of this, or is it not as simple as I hope it is ?  

• 07-24-2008 8:12 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Perhaps still not there yet, someone will correct me certainly, but I think that the BeoLab 5's will need to 'see' either a 'CD' command coming down the display/data lead on the fully wired PL, or a 'Radio' command at their ir sensor before they will check their digital input for a signal. 

You may also be asking for issues controlling the volume.  Depending on how the speakers are connected, and to what, you must change their option settings, which changes what they look to for volume commands.  In your proposed set-up, you will need to change the speaker's option programming, and the option setting of the remote, each time you change sources.  That's a lot of button mashing, not to mention switching the system off and back on.  Are you certain that the result will be worth the trouble?

BTW, my AppleTV only shows the option for turning the Dolby Digital on and off, and the web site doesn't mention Red Book PCM audio output, so I'm curious as to where you got your information...because it would be interesting to know. 

Russ 

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 07-24-2008 8:24 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Interesting question (I have the same setup – bare the Apple TV) and absolutely agree that the B&O's description of the connection possibilities is sometimes – as indeed in this case – rather vague.

I think it will depend on how the BL5s will behave once they receive the powerlink signal when you switch your BV5 on: when connected to your Apple TV they need to be set to option 1 but ‘at the same time’ to option 0 as they are also connected to B&O (audio/video) equipment.

As I understand it (you don’t have a B&O audio source), the option 1 gives you possibility to activate etc. the speakers with the command RADIO when connected to non-B&O, and even operate a B&O TV in the same room . There might thus be a chance worth a simple trial that they will smoothly pick up the powerlink signal even when in option 1 after you switch from your Apple to BV5 … there are plenty of technical people here to tell you more here I’m sure.

• 07-24-2008 9:10 AM In reply to

RussR:

Perhaps still not there yet, someone will correct me certainly, but I think that the BeoLab 5's will need to 'see' either a 'CD' command coming down the display/data lead on the fully wired PL, or a 'Radio' command at their ir sensor before they will check their digital input for a signal. 

You may also be asking for issues controlling the volume.  Depending on how the speakers are connected, and to what, you must change their option settings, which changes what they look to for volume commands.  In your proposed set-up, you will need to change the speaker's option programming, and the option setting of the remote, each time you change sources.  That's a lot of button mashing, not to mention switching the system off and back on.  Are you certain that the result will be worth the trouble?

BTW, my AppleTV only shows the option for turning the Dolby Digital on and off, and the web site doesn't mention Red Book PCM audio output, so I'm curious as to where you got your information...because it would be interesting to know. 

Russ 

Thanks for the information Russ.

It does sound like a lot of button presses and unless it can all be automated as a macro on a Beo5 then I don't see this being a viable system but I thought that I'd ask and see if there was a simple way.

The AppleTV will output PCM linear digital audio when you turn the dolby digital off. Originally this was all it did and it was only after the upgrade to version 2 of the software that the option to have DD output was added. 

• 07-24-2008 11:14 AM In reply to

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-24-2008 11:18 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I think what you ought ot do is what I have done, make all connections from the AppleTV directly to the BeoVision 5...OK, mine's an Avant-US, but the priciple is the same.  I think you'll be quite pleased.

Russ 

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 07-24-2008 11:37 AM In reply to

The one thing about that , which I am trying to avoid, is the stage where the TV does a digital to analogue conversion and then the speakers do an analogue to digital conversion. That would seem at first glance to be an awful lot of unnecessary processing to a signal which is possibly avoidable. 
  • 07-24-2008 2:23 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I do understand that part of the dilemma, but depending on what method you've used to get your music onto the AppleTV to begin with, one more conversion step likely won't be noticeable.  Certainly considering the difficulties you're going to overcome to get there.

Russ 

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 07-24-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

More like two conversion stages. Apple Lossless > AppleTV > digital out to BL5s = identical to CD.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-24-2008 8:27 PM In reply to

Alex:

More like two conversion stages. Apple Lossless > AppleTV > digital out to BL5s = identical to CD.

That is what I am hoping for, with the 2 extra stages I feel that there will be an inevitable loss in quality if I convert from digital to analogue to digital again. When I would be spending that kind of money on world class speakers I feel that I wouldn't be giving them an adequate system to perform them in if they were run through a surround sound receiver in a television, no matter how good it was. 

In my opinion the Beolab 5's are the first speaker where Bang and Olufsen have finally showed what their huge amount or R&D has allowed in a truly statement product. If you will allow me a car reference it is like Porsche finally producing a GT2 after producing 30 years of Boxters. A good car ( or system) but they have finally produced a world beater. It is a bit of a pity that it is not more widely recognised in the Audiophile market because they are a true bargain when compared to a decent pair of speakers, an amp, pre-amp and digital to analogue converter. 

I know that the simplest way of testing this all out would be to take my Apple Tv to a showroom but I feel that it would be taking advantage of a dealers precious time ( I would feel monumentally awful if they lost a sale because of my fiddling)  knowing that I would buy the speakers and the television second hand. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)