in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-28-2008 5:19 AM by Peter Jacobs. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2008 2:46 AM

Foxtel HD, HDMIs and all that Jazz

Hi all, I just phoned the Australian Foxtel (For Foxtel read Sky Satellite TV) service provider to enquire about the new HD+ services - 5 new channels + Box Office Movies on demand in full HD. I was told that I would need the new HD set top box (although its not on top of me set as I have a 2004 Beovision 5 and its tucked between the two struts at the back of the set). I was also told that I need to use the new HDMI cable that will come with it.

Now I know what an HDMI cable looks like but I have no idea how this will connect to the back of teh BV5 which has every other typoe of socket except HDMI (Three SCARTs, Powerlink, masterlink, SPDIF, COAX etc but no HDMI).

I can hear all the pros amongst you here ask...why is he getting a foxtel HD+ STB when his BV 5 isn't a HD panel ?. Well I too am wondering why. Perhaps its my excuse to now say..I need a new BV4, BS3 and Beloab 10 !!. I am also intrigued to find out if the HD + channels (of which there are five) will make any difference to the already excellent (!!!) picture of my BV 5, especially after James Pyne of B&O Ca,berwell very kindly came home and re-tuned and refined and balanced the BV5 picture, Lab 5s placement and used his phenomenal experience to set the speakers levels of teh lab 5s and lab3s. Its like a brand new system (Thanks James if you are "listening")..

Your views and comments please.....

• 07-22-2008 5:32 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Re: Foxtel HD, HDMIs and all that Jazz

The Foxtel HD service will be an improvement even on Standard Television. It still can be configured to work with RGB SCART, at least in the unpublished documentation...Connections include HDMI, HD component, coaxial audio out, optical audio out and SCART... The catch is that HD content will only pass through HDMI at least initially, so you might not see all channels and this could even effect link rooms....

Also to control the box...Previous Foxtel IQ and Foxtel were PACE boxes, infact two versions similar to those in the UK. Foxtel IQ2 is "bespoke" custom box made by PACE. Perhaps James can get one in the Camberwell store to see if the new STB table and the PACE + setting for the UK works. Otherwise he would need to approach B&O for a STB table update which they should do for Australia.

If you have cable the service is available now, satellite will be available later in the year, as with new channels.

Now what about TiVo...... gotta go..

cheers, beoaus.

• 07-28-2008 5:19 AM In reply to

Re: Foxtel HD, HDMIs and all that Jazz

Thanks Beoaus. Will call you as previously discussed soon.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)