in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-11-2007 5:54 AM by Keith Saunders. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-10-2007 1:16 PM

• fridsten
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 167
    • Founder

CX50 - Wow!!!

Yes, I need three (3) exclamation marks in the subject. Wink

I just replaced the rotten woofers of my CX50s and connected them to my recently bought Beomaster 5000 for a test drive.

First I started with Tchaikovsky, Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 1, in B flat minor, Op. 23, moved on to March from The Nutcracker, Ballet Suite. Still, I didn't think I was really testing the bass reproduction of the speakers.

So, I went searching among my CDs, which aren't very many, so it was really just a brief look, when I saw it:

The Sisters of Mercy - A Slight Case of Overbombing

Now, I know, and like this album. I'm also very aware of how the first track sounds. It's Under the Gun, which starts with some quite heavy bass. Naturally, since these are very small speakers, I turned loudness on.

Then...

WOW!!!Surprise

My chin dropped down to the floor. I swear, it made a dent in the hardwood (oak). I haven't really listened to a pair of CX50s before. I know they're great for their size, but this was just amazing. I talked to my wife about selling the 5000 system and these speakers, but... no... Laughing

• 05-10-2007 1:23 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: CX50 - Wow!!!

Quite right too. I think they are great speakers for their size. If you've only just replaced them, I found mine improved as they wore in so you should find they get better. The CX100's are even better!

Kevin 

• 05-10-2007 1:26 PM In reply to

• fridsten
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 167
    • Founder

Kevin:
    Quite right too. I think they are great speakers for their size. If you've only just refoamed them, I found mine improved as they wore in so you should find they get better.

I didn't refoam them. I just bought a pair of brand new bass woofers and replaced the old ones. They were in quite bad shape, not only the foam. The tweeters were absolutely fine, though.

• 05-10-2007 1:38 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Yes edited my post typing faster than my brain can workTongue Tied you should still find they improove though.

Kevin 

• 05-10-2007 3:59 PM In reply to

Totally agreed.

The mounting can improve them - mine are in the bathroom hung on plasterboard partition walls, backs dead flat against the wall, and the bass that comes out is absurdly impressive for speakers so small. 

Enjoy!

Steve 

• 05-10-2007 5:14 PM In reply to

• hebo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 305
    • Founder

Totally agree!

Have a pair in the kitchen with a Beolink passive.

and it´s a big WOW there as well.

BV10

• 05-10-2007 7:30 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I totally agree - the CX range are unbelievable for thier size. As Kevin rightly says thay WILL improve with time. The CX100's are even better - add a Cona sub woofer and they will stand up against many other far higher priced (and much bigger) speakers.

@ fridsten a bit of a long shot but did you keep the old drivers as I know Kevin is looking for one for some CX100's? If so then I'm sure he'd be grateful for them as I have a couple of replacement surrounds I can let him have.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-11-2007 2:51 AM In reply to

• fridsten
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 167
    • Founder

Medogsfat:
    @ fridsten a bit of a long shot but did you keep the old drivers as I know Kevin is looking for one for some CX100's? If so then I'm sure he'd be grateful for them as I have a couple of replacement surrounds I can let him have.

Kevin sent me an email yesterday concerning this. He can have them if he thinks the shipping cost from Sweden to Germany is worth it. Smile

• 05-11-2007 3:08 AM In reply to

Not wishing to put a dampner on this, but the CX range are perfect at what they do. However they are not, in my view, Hi-Fi speakers. They are perfect for rooms like bathrooms and kitchens and not bad as computer speakers. But there are some very good small speakers around which are much more musical. They are not as small obviously but still acceptably so.

BL3s, however, are Hi-Fi speakers! And are as equally small as CX100s!

• 05-11-2007 4:06 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

fridsten:

Medogsfat:

Kevin sent me an email yesterday concerning this. He can have them if he thinks the shipping cost from Sweden to Germany is worth it. Smile

Big Smile

and as is traditional a donation will be made to Beoworld Cool

• 05-11-2007 4:08 AM In reply to

• fridsten
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 167
    • Founder

Peter:
    Not wishing to put a dampner on this, but the CX range are perfect at what they do. However they are not, in my view, Hi-Fi speakers. They are perfect for rooms like bathrooms and kitchens and not bad as computer speakers. But there are some very good small speakers around which are much more musical. They are not as small obviously but still acceptably so.

BL3s, however, are Hi-Fi speakers! And are as equally small as CX100s!

You're absolutely right. I was just stunned at the sound quality and bass reproduction of such small and old speakers. BL3s are a completely different kind of speakers at a completely different price level.

• 05-11-2007 5:54 AM In reply to

I have had two pairs of CX50's from new, one set in the kitchen connected via a Beolink Passive to the powerlink sockets of my BeoVision 1L and the other two in the entrance hall of my home and I still consider them to be excellent. They are the right type of speakers for these type of locations where generally speaking you are listening to background music or radio with other noises such as cooking around you.

Like everyone else, I am very pleased with them and they are still going strong, I purchased them sometime in the mid 80's, cannot remember exactly the year, but they are now quite old, yet they look and work as well as the day I purchased them.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)