in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-24-2008 4:34 AM by j0hnbarker. 70 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-21-2008 3:37 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: ZOMG!!! B&O are so far behind!!!

moxxey:
    355f:

2 years ago I have the bv4 with BS2 and then changed that for BS3 ( on the basis of future upgradability- which is so untrue) and a new BV4

and whilst I accpet all the reasons why the BS2 combo fell through the floor we wil have the same debate next year when this £11K purchase is worth about 1/8 of the purchase price|!

I also have beo 5- what a waste of an opportunity

and have owned Bv7 mk111 which i had  a week on trial- sd performance SO bad for any LCD IMHO

Worringly 335f, I'm starting not to believe what you're saying these days. I've watched your posts for months and you've never mentioned owner a BV7-40 MKIII or a Beo 5. Also, the SD is absolutely fine with a BV7-40 MKIII.

True, under analogue, SD is poor, but through Freeview or similar, it's fine. Please do not tell me you were using analogue SD with a £9K TV...thus were 'disappointed'.

What is this?- hell week??  some are so bereft of reasoned dabate that the only action now is to doubt I own the products at all!! well im not interested if you believe it or not.Actually I was one of the first to have the beo 5 and also the Mk111 BV7 S nos available for all my products.

I was using freeview with the ;'9K' BV7 and found it to be poor im afraid.

The other thing is your definition of SD seems to be analogue and freeview is according to you not SD!!

As far as I was aware there was just HD and SD are you saying there is another type of definition I should be aware of?

• 07-21-2008 3:39 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    moxxey:
    355f:

2 years ago I have the bv4 with BS2 and then changed that for BS3 ( on the basis of future upgradability- which is so untrue) and a new BV4

and whilst I accpet all the reasons why the BS2 combo fell through the floor we wil have the same debate next year when this £11K purchase is worth about 1/8 of the purchase price|!

I also have beo 5- what a waste of an opportunity

and have owned Bv7 mk111 which i had  a week on trial- sd performance SO bad for any LCD IMHO

Worringly 335f, I'm starting not to believe what you're saying these days. I've watched your posts for months and you've never mentioned owner a BV7-40 MKIII or a Beo 5. Also, the SD is absolutely fine with a BV7-40 MKIII.

True, under analogue, SD is poor, but through Freeview or similar, it's fine. Please do not tell me you were using analogue SD with a £9K TV...thus were 'disappointed'.

Well said Moxxey!  355F now claims to not only have owned some earlier and some later products, but ALL of them?!

Also, 335F your profile says you live in a time zone -5GMT.  I was unaware the BS 2 was ever sold here in the US? Maybe it was in South America? The prices you quote are certainly not -5GMT prices, are they? 

I live in the UK and neevr been able to get the time zone thing correct and i seem unable to do so!

• 07-21-2008 3:45 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

anampersand:
    moxxey:
    355f:

I was happier with previous offerings as i have owned it for 15 years- but find myself dissapointed with the latest products apart from speakers

Think about this 355f. Although you say you're disappointed by the latest products, how many of the people who own the latest products say they're disappointed? I'd like to see a poll on the BV7-40 MKIII from BV7-40 MKIII owners to ask if they are disappointed or pleased. I know how the results will be weighted.

It's bizarre to be disappointed with the latest products, but not own them. It comes across as being a bit disillusioned with the prices, rather than the product quality. If that's the case, then B&O products aren't for you and won't be for you.

I'd say anybody who spends that kind of money for a television, then watches technology advance far, far beyond it, wouldn't admit it for their life if they were the least bit disappointed, lest they feel like a sap for their purchase.

I'm all about B&O audio, CRTs, and speakers & have amassed a solid collection in under a year; however, pound for pound, I'd spend my cash on a Kuro anyday over a B&O flat-panel--the picture is amazing, and quite frankly, I think it looks quite beautiful on display as well.

Just my two cents. 

At least someone on here with some sense then!

I have spent the money on the products and unlike most on here I am happy to admit im dissapointed- not sure I feel like a sap- it was the choice I made at the time but, 12 months on I would not do so again. B&O make some of the highest margins in the av business, soon to be even higher with latest developments- you can fool some of the people....................... I cant be alone which is why the sales of B&O products are in decline.

• 07-21-2008 5:10 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

having owned the avant i purchased bv7-32 i was totally disheartened with it ,for variety of reasons including picture was not b&o  usual standard i decided to sell it quick which i did! however i would not rush back and buy another b&o tv ,there is one on sale gumtree (hoax may be for that price),but personally i do not even think it is worth £800 a part from the badge and speaker !!!!!

http://www.gumtree.com/london/56/26216356.html

• 07-21-2008 5:37 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

ed7:

having owned the avant i purchased bv7-32 i was totally disheartened with it ,for variety of reasons including picture was not b&o  usual standard i decided to sell it quick which i did! however i would not rush back and buy another b&o tv ,there is one on sale gumtree (hoax may be for that price),but personally i do not even think it is worth £800 a part from the badge and speaker !!!!!

The first MK1 BV7-32 - from 2004 - wasn't that hot. Indeed, I wouldn't purchase that second hand either. The MKII and higher are better and the BV7-40 MKIII is on another level completely.

As I've said many many times, I wouldn't go out to purchase a BV7-40 MKIII without a trade-in. However, by trading my old BV7-32 for £4K, it brought the price down to £4.4K, which included the 7.2 speaker. That made it affordable. In the same way I'll be seeking to trade this BV7-40 in against either a MKIV or similar, in a year or two.

• 07-21-2008 5:55 PM In reply to

moxxey:
    ed7:

The first MK1 BV7-32 - from 2004 - wasn't that hot. Indeed, I wouldn't purchase that second hand either. The MKII and higher are better and the BV7-40 MKIII is on another level completely.

As I've said many many times, I wouldn't go out to purchase a BV7-40 MKIII without a trade-in. However, by trading my old BV7-32 for £4K, it brought the price down to £4.4K, which included the 7.2 speaker. That made it affordable. In the same way I'll be seeking to trade this BV7-40 in against either a MKIV or similar, in a year or two.

Given that a 2007 BV7-32 retails for approximately £4200,the px price you were offered was extremely generous.

Mind you,I doubt it will be easy to sell a 32" TV for £4200,even to a B & O devotee.

• 07-21-2008 10:13 PM In reply to

For one I think the strategy change is here since they fired the CEO.

If Sony and friends kept the pace of making minor improvements marketed as the breakthrough thing one must have I think it will be tough. Everybody will be educated & look for the specifications rather then trust their eyes and ears.

Maybe they have to go back to re-badging. Maybe not the way they have done it, but buying more pre-produced components and spend money on ML integration. 

I thought some things they have done were good. The Hotel business unit,  is a nice showcase for the brand. The Beoliving Concept. Nice one as well, shows you what they can do and I am thinking one will have a hard time finding another brand that can integrate this so well into a living room. The Car Audio, I am unsure about that, but seems to be working as well

I think their speaker offerings are great, their music systems OK, would love to see some more variation.

Only Video/TV seems a little out of whack even though BS3 gives them a great platform. 

i am hoping they do not try to beat Apple to the Digital Media game. That they integrated teh Apple TV so nicely is very good and shows that they understand even though it prob kills their Beomedia Sales.

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-21-2008 11:26 PM In reply to

I actually have it on good authority that 355f not only owns all past products (he actually has TWO Eliminators), but has even travelled into the future so he can purchase (and be disappointed with) a BeoVision 7-52 MKVII (with built in Brown-Ray). I hope Bang & Olufsen can make products fast enough to keep up with his disappointment!

As for the 40" & 50" OLEDs (yeah f-ing right). Were you also disappointed in the resolution of the crystal ball you looked into? Seriously. The other guys are right, you're stretching your whole story a little thin. Sony is going to go from a barely functional 11" $2,500 television to a bargain priced, stable, high-quality large format OLED in 1.5 years? You're high. 

I've never seen someone devote so much time and "thought" to something they so obviously don't like. Go get some fresh air.  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-22-2008 2:44 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:
    [

Given that a 2007 BV7-32 retails for approximately £4200,the px price you were offered was extremely generous.

Mind you,I doubt it will be easy to sell a 32" TV for £4200,even to a B & O devotee.

You don't use and sell a vanilla BV7-32. It was  BV7-32 + 7.1. So, purchased for about £5.8K in Dec 2004, sold for £4K in November 2007. You couldn't rent a BV7-32 for money lost during that period.

• 07-22-2008 3:28 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

I actually have it on good authority that 355f not only owns all past products (he actually has TWO Eliminators), but has even travelled into the future so he can purchase (and be disappointed with) a BeoVision 7-52 MKVII (with built in Brown-Ray). I hope Bang & Olufsen can make products fast enough to keep up with his disappointment!

As for the 40" & 50" OLEDs (yeah f-ing right). Were you also disappointed in the resolution of the crystal ball you looked into? Seriously. The other guys are right, you're stretching your whole story a little thin. Sony is going to go from a barely functional 11" $2,500 television to a bargain priced, stable, high-quality large format OLED in 1.5 years? You're high. 

I've never seen someone devote so much time and "thought" to something they so obviously don't like. Go get some fresh air.  

As usual trip your comments come as an individual with B&O retail experience- so it goes without saying you lack understanding of the wider picture- and everyone of your posts indicates that.  Your the one that needs to get out more ( yeah f-ing right) as you so sicinctly put it- only from America!

• 07-22-2008 4:16 AM In reply to

Bang & Olufsen, the Danish manufacturer of stylish, top-end stereo systems and televisions, is losing ground to companies like Sony and Samsung, who offer aesthetic gadgets at much lower prices.

Despite having carved a niche of its own in the massive electronics market, Bang & Olufsen is facing stiff competition as consumers migrate to cheaper goods. Bjorn Schwarz, chief analyst at Sydbank, observes that “even rich consumers are asking themselves why they should spend four times more for a B&O product when competitors are offering equally sophisticated products.”

The irony is that B&O will lose its ‘raison d’être’ if it attempts to drop its prices to compete with other manufacturers. This has left the 83-year-old Danish company with a major dilemma. Its net profit dropped four-fold during the third quarter (December to February), prompting an abrupt sacking of the chairman.

This bold move did little to allay market fears, causing B&O shares to tumble 75 percent since 1st January 2007. Some analysts suggest B&O needs to move into new markets like Asia and the Middle East. Others feel the company should come up with a new product line that is cheaper and less exclusive than its current catalogue.

Despite the obvious signs of distress, B&O’s Chairman of the Board Jorgen Worning insists that “B&O is not in crisis.” Investors may disagree.

popgear is grate™

• 07-22-2008 4:20 AM In reply to

this sums it all up , really

"Stephen Rammer, an analyst at Alm.Brand Henton, said B&O's annual growth of around five percent was "too weak."

"It invests too much in research and development -- 10 percent of its sales compared to four percent for its German rival Loewe -- but despite that, it doesn't come out with rapid launches of flagship products.

"B&O needs to come up with a less exclusive and less costly series in order to stop losing market share," he said.

i'm amazed that bno spend that much on r&d tbh , it certainly isn't on it's consumer product range from what i can glean

rebadging samsung mp3 players , sticking a metal frame round a panasonic plasma , it's hardly rocket science , is it ? 

popgear is grate™

• 07-22-2008 5:05 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

you're stretching your whole story a little thin. 

So would that be like when you pretended to be a regular B&O customer then Trip, rather than a B&O dealer with a vested interest? Did the pressure that comes from 'stretching your story a little thin' get to you, so much so that you felt you had no choice but to reveal your true identity?

People in glass houses etc.... 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-22-2008 5:26 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Well arent we all getting a bit serious in this thread....Big Smile  Anyone would think we are talking about something important!! lol.

Get ready for the new CEO. Bang will then start to make and implement changes very quickly. They are geared up for it and are awaiting the ok from him.  This is more of a courtesy than anything else. It is also a reason why the BS5 is delayed...

PQ and Sound quality on BangVisions will continue to get better and better. This is obvious.As will connectivity options etc. Whether the pricing strategy will change is up for debate.

And on a personal note i watched a high end Pioneer screen the other day and though it was awful.

Have a great day.

• 07-22-2008 5:38 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

i'm amazed that bno spend that much on r&d

Correct. I read somewhere that Apple spend around 10% on R&D, but then look at the sheer number of products and product updates they release each year. Indeed, I also read that Apple were seeking to reduce R&D spend so it was less than 10% - that was over a year ago.

B&O have brought out almost nothing for a year. Ok, we have a revised BV4 and we have a BL10 which is a 7.4 in a new shape....but they are hardly new products. Was the last new product the BV8, in 2006?

I really hope that we see a host of updated products and a couple of brand new products (BS5 etc) in Q4 this year, after the new CEO starts in Q3.

• 07-22-2008 7:31 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Very good point Trip!

I have said it before and I will say it again. Our new BV7 MKIII has a spectacular picture and spectacular sound. The processor in it is far better than our old Avant, even CDs and N.Music sound better. As for value verses technical specs which all the B and O doomsayers rely on, tech specs do not make the best product always. Do you buy your cars based on the best tech specs or might you, dare I say it actually test drive a new car before you buy it it to see if all the tech specs on paper add up to anything.

As for value, buy a BS3, a BL4 and a stand and the price is close to $12,000. Thus the panel itself on a BV 7 is only about $2,000, the same range as all the competitors so highly touted here. That ignores the cost of the DVD player. Our dealer stocks around 100 36 inch and larger LCDs and Plasmas. They are a dealer manufacturers use frequently to unveil the newest technology. Having compared B and O to these others, in the same store, I do not regret at all choosing the BV7.

My wife's new Cadillac CTS is much more technologically advanced than a new Bentley, real time traffic updates, etc, but I still would choose the Bentley if I had the choice, even with its technology that might be a year or two, or maybe even more, out of date, because of the whole package Bentley, as B and O puts together.

I previously owned a VW Phaeton, one of the biggest failures in the car market ever, at least here in North America. I was on a North American forum devoted to the Phaeton. Even though the car was discontinued and owners were taking huge losses on trade in,  the people who visited that forum had the novel perspective of actually liking the product they posted about, rather than so many negative people here who visit a forum to attack the subject matter.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 07-22-2008 1:01 PM In reply to

a bentley ( these days ) is basically a vw phaeton with a different body stuck on it and a badge that actually sells it , somehow

your point ? 

popgear is grate™

• 07-22-2008 1:02 PM In reply to

Razlaw:

My wife's new Cadillac CTS is much more technologically advanced than a new Bentley, real time traffic updates, etc, but I still would choose the Bentley if I had the choice, even with its technology that might be a year or two, or maybe even more, out of date, because of the whole package Bentley, as B and O puts together.

Ah, but would you buy that Bentley should it have a Toyota engine and a Chevrolet transmission in it?

Isn't it just as absurd to refuse to acknowledge serious product and/or marketing flaws as it is constantly to complain?  I, for one, am forthright about what I perceive as concerns but never hesitant to heap praise on what is admittedly great.  All the dissenters are yelling.  All the supporters are yelling.  Where have the unbiased gone? 

• 07-22-2008 4:06 PM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:

a bentley ( these days ) is basically a vw phaeton with a different body stuck on it and a badge that actually sells it , somehow

your point ? 

The point is that quality counts for something, hence the preference for a Bentley and its quality over the lastest Cadillac technolgy.

While I made no comparison between the Bentley and the Phaeton, what you say is true. It is also true that the Bently far outsells the Phaeton.

• 07-22-2008 4:12 PM In reply to

anampersand:
    Razlaw:

Ah, but would you buy that Bentley should it have a Toyota engine and a Chevrolet transmission in it?

Isn't it just as absurd to refuse to acknowledge serious product and/or marketing flaws as it is constantly to complain?  I, for one, am forthright about what I perceive as concerns but never hesitant to heap praise on what is admittedly great.  All the dissenters are yelling.  All the supporters are yelling.  Where have the unbiased gone? 

The Bentley, as somebody else here correctly noted, at least the GT and its siblings, is basically a VW Phaeton, but a VW, nevertheless and thus full of VW parts. So, to answer your question, if Bentley decided that a Toyota or Chevy was the best part to use, yes I would still buy one. Actually, your point is a very good one. Bentley takes lesser parrts from a VW and upgrades them, engine gets turbo chargers, dash controls get metal instead of plastic and it becomes one of the most desirable cars in the world. B and O does the same thing with the BV 7, starts with a Samsung and then upgrades it into something completely different with their extras. Maybe I will check out a Bentley forum and see if its member complain about the product being an overpriced rebadged VW as so many people like to do here about B and O.

• 07-22-2008 4:47 PM In reply to

Razlaw:
    anampersand:
    Razlaw:

The Bentley, as somebody else here correctly noted, at least the GT and its siblings, is basically a VW Phaeton, but a VW, nevertheless and thus full of VW parts. So, to answer your question, if Bentley decided that a Toyota or Chevy was the best part to use, yes I would still buy one. Actually, your point is a very good one. Bentley takes lesser parrts from a VW and upgrades them, engine gets turbo chargers, dash controls get metal instead of plastic and it becomes one of the most desirable cars in the world. B and O does the same thing with the BV 7, starts with a Samsung and then upgrades it into something completely different with their extras. Maybe I will check out a Bentley forum and see if its member complain about the product being an overpriced rebadged VW as so many people like to do here about B and O.

I'd assume there'd be no complaints at that particular forum, as I'd assume most Bentley buyers slap down a credit card to enhance their social status without actually checking into many of the fine details.

Which is quite unlike B&O buyers.  Oh, wait.... 

• 07-22-2008 5:07 PM In reply to

anampersand:
    Razlaw:
    anampersand:
    Razlaw:

I'd assume there'd be no complaints at that particular forum, as I'd assume most Bentley buyers slap down a credit card to enhance their social status without actually checking into many of the fine details.

Which is quite unlike B&O buyers.  Oh, wait.... 

Quite! 

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-22-2008 5:39 PM In reply to

Goodness - what an unpleasant thread. I know 355F has had much B&O and I am sure will continue to buy it - sometimes despite his better judgement! B&O had advantages and disadvantages - unfortunately they are competing in the fast moving area of flat screens where the avarage life of other make models is measured in weeks as far as I can see. This has never been the B&O way and they attempt to keep up to date by the constant development of the existing models. This is not wholly successful unfortunately.

I am sure most users of the BV7 et al are perfectly happy as they will not spend their time comparing their set with the latest Pioneer etc. The BV7 has had a good picture for some time now for an LCD and just because there is now something better doesn't make the BV7 junk. However if I was buying a new set now, the decision would be trickier. 

Having seen Lee's set, a BV9 seems quite attractive!! 

• 07-23-2008 1:11 AM In reply to

Lots of us are still staring in disbelieve at a Bv5. Yes. And then we switch it on. I would think that many of us are just like me, looking at their BVs more often off then on.

I have 2 things that I want since childhood.

http://www.panix.com/~rmadison/JLCFace.jpg

One is the watch above. It was advertised a lot when i studied, it has multiple time zones which reflects my lifestyle.

The other thing was a BV5. And no BV9 did not cause that urge.  If I would have space I would still go after a BV5.

I think rather then chasing picture quality and latest spec they need to design better flat screens. Beoliving is one way to impress the design freak. 

So now do a similar thing with the BVs. BC6 actually is quite there, If it would have a current for tuner and conneections it should do well.

I dont think the solution to the trouble is in updated spec or more features like Lewe has. I like simplicity,

In fact, I like the simplicity of having 1 cd drive in the BC2 more then the  6 in the BS9000. I have both next to each other and use them at the same time. 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-23-2008 2:45 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Peter :

Goodness - what an unpleasant thread

It's not that unpleasant Peter. Just a debate :)

Yes, I can imagine the BV9 is stunning. The problem is, it's nearly twice the price of the BV7-40.

Page 2 of 3 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >