in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-24-2008 4:34 AM by j0hnbarker. 70 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (71 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-20-2008 9:41 AM

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

ZOMG!!! B&O are so far behind!!!

http://www.gizmag.com/fed-flat-panel-display-technology-sony/9635/

How do they expect to survive if they don't produce one of these by the Holiday season this year?  Let the Doomsaying begin.

Laughing 

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-20-2008 10:03 AM In reply to

Re: ZOMG!!! B&O are so far behind!!!

Yet the beat of technology marches on...We are obsolete before we know it...May you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 07-20-2008 11:32 AM In reply to

RussR:

How do they expect to survive if they don't produce one of these by the Holiday season this year?  Let the Doomsaying begin.

Laughing 

Russ

Trying to start another intense discussion?  I'm getting "FED up".  I think this will happen first:

http://www.engadgethd.com/tag/shv

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-20-2008 12:56 PM In reply to

Have you seen the prices - makes B&O seem cheap!
  • 07-20-2008 1:42 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

RussR:

Laughing 

Russ

I dont think that the survival of B&O is reletive to the early adoption of these technologies. The Sony oled 17" has simply the worst life and within 1 year with average use the screen is next to useless with poor colour rendition.

Alternative display technologies at larger screen sizes are 18 months away at sensible money.

However, the prices charged by B&O now for flatscreen technology that is not leading edge are so far from reality its simply not true.

One can no longer argue,- well one can justify the price because the vsion quality is better than anything else -because it is not.

So the concern for me is that we have silly prices for LCD £8K for a 40" - still in 18months time when oled technology will be less than half that- no one in their right mind will buy LCD after that and B&O will be left behind taking years to adopt the new technolgies

• 07-20-2008 6:56 PM In reply to

Just curious 355F, do you ever have anything positive to say about B and O? At least your 10 most recent posts all deal with your personal opinion that the prices are too high and negative comments about B and O?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 07-20-2008 7:46 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Even on a Sunday it is 'tres impossible' as the Finns would say:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080720-new-telescopic-pixel-displays-could-outperform-lcd-plasma.html

B&O may as well pack it in.  Even the mighty, if flawed, OLED juggernaut will surely fall under the withering fire of constant new technological development.  Thank whatever gods you bow to that they didn't listen ot the screaming masses and jump on SED technology just a few short years ago.

Surely some will argue that they may as well simply leap-frog the entire process and offer us the next ground breaking BeoVisions in the customer's choice of Oil, Pastels or Watercolors.  Then at least one may choose precisely what one views, and at whatever resolution one cares to attempt!

Devil 

Russ

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 07-21-2008 2:41 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    Just curious 355F, do you ever have anything positive to say about B and O? At least your 10 most recent posts all deal with your personal opinion that the prices are too high and negative comments about B and O?

It's just his *personal* opinion. Bear in mind supply/demand will always dictate the future of B&O and pricing. Not an individual. Nor will the general public care about OLED and other technologies. At the moment, they only care if a TV is 'HD ready'.

• 07-21-2008 4:10 AM In reply to

B&O buys panels, and back in the day bought Tubes.

When the technology is ready B&O should certainly invest in building TV's that take advantage of the best technology available, but not until it is ready top be incorporated into a desirable, durable product. If I have read the articles correctly Sony will probably  produce panels as well as finished TV's when their technologies are ready, and they are a long way from ready now, so there is no cause for alarm, especially as technology is proceeding way ahead of any actual  requirement for it in terms of what customers are actually watching.

Simon

• 07-21-2008 4:41 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

nothing new here b&o do not  embrace technology  only moneyHmm
  • 07-21-2008 4:48 AM In reply to

Does one really think that the likes of  Panasonic will quickly write off their massive investment in LCD,and Plasma, Panel manufacturing plant?

Is one really saying that the development of LCD,and Plasma,PQ has been taken as far as it can go?

Witness the massive improvement of Pioneer's 9G over their 8G.

How long will it take for OLED to have the longevity,and to be available in screen sizes,and prices,of the current technologies.

As I see it,B & O's problem is keeping on a par with,if not ahead of,the best PQ provided by the likes of Pioneer in Plasma,and,perhaps,their soon to be released LCD models.

One might "knock" Loewe,but they are catching up fast,having initially lost their way in the transfer from CRT to LCD.

Supporters of B & O cite product integration as one of the major benefits of their TVs,but is this really a great selling point to a potential buyer who does not own other B & O products?

Equally,citing high residual px values,only against a new B & O,as justification for paying the very high purchase price may have been valid with the mature CRT technology,but is that still valid with LCD,and Plasma?

Is a Beovision 5 still competetive in terms of PQ against a Pioneer 9G?

One hopes that B & O is asking itself some fundamental questions,and comes up with a strategy that will help it survive as a manufacturer of quality TVs.

• 07-21-2008 5:48 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:

Does one really think that the likes of  Panasonic will quickly write off their massive investment in LCD,and Plasma, Panel manufacturing plant?

Is one really saying that the development of LCD,and Plasma,PQ has been taken as far as it can go?

How long will it take for OLED to have the longevity,and to be available in screen sizes,and prices,of the current technologies.

As I see it,B & O's problem is keeping on a par with,if not ahead of,the best PQ provided by the likes of Pioneer in Plasma,and,perhaps,their soon to be released LCD models.

One might "knock" Loewe,but they are catching up fast,having initially lost their way in the transfer from CRT to LCD.

Supporters of B & O cite product integration as one of the major benefits of their TVs,but is this really a great selling point to a potential buyer who does not own other B & O products?

Equally,citing high residual px values,only against a new B & O,as justification for paying the very high purchase price may have been valid with the mature CRT technology,but is that still valid with LCD,and Plasma?

One hopes that B & O is asking itself some fundamental questions,and comes up with a strategy that will help it survive as a manufacturer of quality TVs.

Panasonic have already come to the conclusion that they will never get the investment in plasma back- simply because LCD is cheapae to make and its has made plasma a very hard sell.

SED a far superior technology, failed because of price alone. No brand was convinced that individuals would choose SED if it cost double or three times that of LCD- they had seen what had happened with plasma prices before. Oled is already there with longevity now that production issues have been resolved and 18months is the timeframe for goos in the shops.

Soon to be released models LCD all from China, I wonder why Pioneer in their latest LCD chose to obtain the screen from Sharp in Japan- when they were seeking the best. B&O will certianly make more money though!

Beovison 5 is in the dark ages compared to pioneer 9G I really dont think the high PXvalues are relevant for flatscreen but everyone else disagrees!

• 07-21-2008 7:59 AM In reply to

I don't think that "latest technology" is at the top of the list of reasons people purchase B&O. Look how long the product life is of most B&O stuff compared to Sony, Pioneer, Technics etc. Many of the products are not cutting edge, rather matured technologies.

Aesthetics, brand loyalty and elitism are far more likely to be deciding factors in the purchase of B&O.

The only reason I'm now going to be buying a LCD (probably a Samsung) is because it's all that's going to be available in Moscow at a reasonable price, otherwise I'd buy an Avant, as the CRT is very hard to beat for PQ in terms of brightness, contrast, and lack of nasty artefacts thanks to the smoothing created by the analogue nature of the tube.

If I had the money I'd buy a big B&O flatscreen, because they look so good even when switched off... 

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 07-21-2008 8:28 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

355f:
    TerryM:

Panasonic have already come to the conclusion that they will never get the investment in plasma back- simply because LCD is cheapae to make and its has made plasma a very hard sell.

SED a far superior technology, failed because of price alone. No brand was convinced that individuals would choose SED if it cost double or three times that of LCD- they had seen what had happened with plasma prices before. Oled is already there with longevity now that production issues have been resolved and 18months is the timeframe for goos in the shops.

Soon to be released models LCD all from China, I wonder why Pioneer in their latest LCD chose to obtain the screen from Sharp in Japan- when they were seeking the best. B&O will certianly make more money though!

Beovison 5 is in the dark ages compared to pioneer 9G I really dont think the high PXvalues are relevant for flatscreen but everyone else disagrees!

355f, I'm confused...in your previous post in this thread, you criticise OLED for having a 1-year lifespan...then you say that OLED is already there with lifespan'....

TerryM; as 355F states (and we can add folks like Fujitsu), the marketplace for Plasma screens became quite cut-throat, and it became impossible to actually sell panels for a profit...for most labels.  Sony has left the space, Pioneer as ceased manufacture, but is now OEM-ing panels, Fujitsu stopped selling to retail customers and has returned exclusively to the commercial market.   Manufacturers drove one another, and often themselves, out of the business.  Criticize B&O as you may, they sell the TV's at a 'normal' profit margin.  Enough customers are buying them (well, maybe not the BV-9) to sustain the business model, for now.

PQ is obviously still improving a quite a good clip.  No, I would not think it a good idea to compare D7 or D8 panels to current panels from most manufacturers, the base technology is in fact improving to quickly, but doing, same year comparos is OK with me.  I think B&O's version of the panels acquit themselves quite well. 

As for 'integration', Terry, I own a 6 year old Avant which is operating a Panasonic DVD player, a Scientific Atlanta CableTV box, and an brand new AppleTV, all from a remote control which is 11 years old, and the Avant is also managing to provide Digital 5.1 sound unassisted by other B&O gear, save the speakers.  Who else really does all that?.  Is there even a 2 year old Sony/Pioneer/Loewe TV, AV receiver or remote control which can manage an AppleTV?  The newer, BS-3 based TV's do all of that even better. 

And, yes, it is a HUGE selling point.  Potential customers for B&O are by-and-large busy doing other things in their lives, working long hours, raising children, orchestrating hostile mergers, relaxing after a long day down at the local surgery and the like.  Picture and sound quality aside, B&O's simple, direct, 'One Touch to Music/Video' (to borrow and older advert line) is immensely attractive.  Ask around your own home: 'How much would you like to get rid of all of those remote controls?'  See what response you get.

We kid because we love.

McLean, VA USA

• 07-21-2008 9:25 AM In reply to

Hi RussR,

yes,LCD is the major seller,but it is generally accepted that Plasma's PQ is superior.

Yes,Pioneer will be purchasing panels from Panasonic for it's 10G Plasma models,but they will presumably be made to Pioneer's specfication,just as they are for B & O,and were for Fujitsu.

Presumably,the same will be true for the Sharp supplied LCD panels.

I cannot see Pioneer throwing away their hard earned reputation for innovation,and PQ,on an inferior panel.

With regard to B & O specifically,I mentioned the Beovision 5 as an example of,to my mind,unrealistic prices for a product in a rapidly advancing technology,viz £6000 for a 3 year old 42" TV,compared to £4300 for a 60" Pioneer 9G.

I have no doubt that B & O is selling to "the movers and shakers",but is a potential buyer with a high end,non B & O,hi fi system going to scrap it merely to buy a very high priced B & O TV for it's integration capabilities?

As for eliminating a multitude of remote controls, a sophisticated universal model would be the solution.

As for Apple TV,as recently demonstrated on the Channel 5's The Gadget Show,4 hours to download a hi def film.

Much more convenient to buy a Blu-ray disc!

As I have said before,I wish B & O well,but there are problems that they need to address.

• 07-21-2008 10:14 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

i went to my local currys store & seen the new panasonic free sat tv  was wow wow very nice &excellent value compared to b&o ,i am seriously thinking buying one soon , impressed with it!!!!Yes -  thumbs up
  • 07-21-2008 10:36 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Predicting where the techonology will go is almost like trying to predict love

It's clear B&O need to make a big change and stop being such a slow and stubborn bull. That safe way of doing things clearly does not work anymore!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-21-2008 11:09 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

RussR:
    355f:
    TerryM:

355f, I'm confused...in your previous post in this thread, you criticise OLED for having a 1-year lifespan...then you say that OLED is already there with lifespan'....

TerryM; as 355F states (and we can add folks like Fujitsu), the marketplace for Plasma screens became quite cut-throat, and it became impossible to actually sell panels for a profit...for most labels.  Sony has left the space, Pioneer as ceased manufacture, but is now OEM-ing panels, Fujitsu stopped selling to retail customers and has returned exclusively to the commercial market.   Manufacturers drove one another, and often themselves, out of the business.  Criticize B&O as you may, they sell the TV's at a 'normal' profit margin.  Enough customers are buying them (well, maybe not the BV-9) to sustain the business model, for now.

PQ is obviously still improving a quite a good clip.  No, I would not think it a good idea to compare D7 or D8 panels to current panels from most manufacturers, the base technology is in fact improving to quickly, but doing, same year comparos is OK with me.  I think B&O's version of the panels acquit themselves quite well. 

As for 'integration', Terry, I own a 6 year old Avant which is operating a Panasonic DVD player, a Scientific Atlanta CableTV box, and an brand new AppleTV, all from a remote control which is 11 years old, and the Avant is also managing to provide Digital 5.1 sound unassisted by other B&O gear, save the speakers.  Who else really does all that?.  Is there even a 2 year old Sony/Pioneer/Loewe TV, AV receiver or remote control which can manage an AppleTV?  The newer, BS-3 based TV's do all of that even better. 

And, yes, it is a HUGE selling point.  Potential customers for B&O are by-and-large busy doing other things in their lives, working long hours, raising children, orchestrating hostile mergers, relaxing after a long day down at the local surgery and the like.  Picture and sound quality aside, B&O's simple, direct, 'One Touch to Music/Video' (to borrow and older advert line) is immensely attractive.  Ask around your own home: 'How much would you like to get rid of all of those remote controls?'  See what response you get.

In the original post it made reference to the sony OLED that was already in the market. Since that release huge imprvements have been made an a decision has now been made to further the production so that within 18 months reliable oled will be out in 40 and 50 in sizes.

Really, I think we should move on from the  'many remotes' debate. the products out now are all perfectly capable of being used with a touch screen progam device vastly supierour to the mess that is the beo5.

Its very intersting to note that those most satisfied with B&O have not embraced their latest offerings. I was happier with previous offerings as i have owned it for 15 years- but find myself dissapointed with the latest products apart from speakers

• 07-21-2008 11:51 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

I was happier with previous offerings as i have owned it for 15 years- but find myself dissapointed with the latest products apart from speakers

Think about this 355f. Although you say you're disappointed by the latest products, how many of the people who own the latest products say they're disappointed? I'd like to see a poll on the BV7-40 MKIII from BV7-40 MKIII owners to ask if they are disappointed or pleased. I know how the results will be weighted.

It's bizarre to be disappointed with the latest products, but not own them. It comes across as being a bit disillusioned with the prices, rather than the product quality. If that's the case, then B&O products aren't for you and won't be for you.

• 07-21-2008 12:26 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    355f:

I was happier with previous offerings as i have owned it for 15 years- but find myself dissapointed with the latest products apart from speakers

Think about this 355f. Although you say you're disappointed by the latest products, how many of the people who own the latest products say they're disappointed? I'd like to see a poll on the BV7-40 MKIII from BV7-40 MKIII owners to ask if they are disappointed or pleased. I know how the results will be weighted.

It's bizarre to be disappointed with the latest products, but not own them. It comes across as being a bit disillusioned with the prices, rather than the product quality. If that's the case, then B&O products aren't for you and won't be for you.

What I was trying to say is that not only have I owned all the previous B&O offerings but I also have aqcuired all the latest items as well. And im not anywhere near as impressed with the latest ones.

Seriously, I know so many individuals that bought B&O, the 9000. the 8000. the avant- all seriously well off- who would not consider B&O now, because they see what rival brands offer for pricing, integration and quality.

Surely product quality and price go hand in hand. I have the BV4 with BS3- Im very dissapointed that the BS3 is not upgradeable so I can get HD sound, and a little disspointed that the picture quality is rivalled by a product that costs 70% less!

• 07-21-2008 12:31 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

Surely product quality and price go hand in hand. I have the BV4 with BS3- Im very dissapointed that the BS3 is not upgradeable so I can get HD sound, and a little disspointed that the picture quality is rivalled by a product that costs 70% less!

You said you had the BS2 recently?! Which one do you have? BS2 or BS3?

I even had a discussion with you on the BS2 and we both agreed that was the reason why you're BV4/BS2 combo had dropped in value so dramatically.

• 07-21-2008 12:42 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    355f:

You said you had the BS2 recently?! Which one do you have? BS2 or BS3?

I even had a discussion with you on the BS2 and we both agreed that was the reason why you're BV4/BS2 combo had dropped in value so dramatically.

2 years ago I have the bv4 with BS2 and then changed that for BS3 ( on the basis of future upgradability- which is so untrue) and a new BV4

and whilst I accpet all the reasons why the BS2 combo fell through the floor we wil have the same debate next year when this £11K purchase is worth about 1/8 of the purchase price|!

I also have beo 5- what a waste of an opportunity

and have owned Bv7 mk111 which i had  a week on trial- sd performance SO bad for any LCD IMHO

• 07-21-2008 2:49 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

2 years ago I have the bv4 with BS2 and then changed that for BS3 ( on the basis of future upgradability- which is so untrue) and a new BV4

and whilst I accpet all the reasons why the BS2 combo fell through the floor we wil have the same debate next year when this £11K purchase is worth about 1/8 of the purchase price|!

and have owned Bv7 mk111 which i had  a week on trial- sd performance SO bad for any LCD IMHO

Worringly 335f, I'm starting not to believe what you're saying these days. I've watched your posts for months and you've never mentioned owner a BV7-40 MKIII or a Beo 5. Also, the SD is absolutely fine with a BV7-40 MKIII.

True, under analogue, SD is poor, but through Freeview or similar, it's fine. Please do not tell me you were using analogue SD with a £9K TV...thus were 'disappointed'.

• 07-21-2008 3:09 PM In reply to

moxxey:
    355f:

Worringly 335f, I'm starting not to believe what you're saying these days. I've watched your posts for months and you've never mentioned owner a BV7-40 MKIII or a Beo 5. Also, the SD is absolutely fine with a BV7-40 MKIII.

True, under analogue, SD is poor, but through Freeview or similar, it's fine. Please do not tell me you were using analogue SD with a £9K TV...thus were 'disappointed'.

Well said Moxxey!  355F now claims to not only have owned some earlier and some later products, but ALL of them?!

Also, 335F your profile says you live in a time zone -5GMT.  I was unaware the BS 2 was ever sold here in the US? Maybe it was in South America? The prices you quote are certainly not -5GMT prices, are they? 

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 07-21-2008 3:17 PM In reply to

moxxey:
    355f:

I'd say anybody who spends that kind of money for a television, then watches technology advance far, far beyond it, wouldn't admit it for their life if they were the least bit disappointed, lest they feel like a sap for their purchase.

I'm all about B&O audio, CRTs, and speakers & have amassed a solid collection in under a year; however, pound for pound, I'd spend my cash on a Kuro anyday over a B&O flat-panel--the picture is amazing, and quite frankly, I think it looks quite beautiful on display as well.

Just my two cents. 

Page 1 of 3 (71 items) 1 2 3 Next >