in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-08-2009 9:10 AM by Dillen. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2008 7:47 PM

• njs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Beogram 8000 and Beogram CDX problems

Hello

I am the lucky owner of two older machines - a Beogram 8000 and a Beogram CDX.
    I have some problems with them but I am otherwise VERY happy with both of them and would like to prolongue their lives.

The Beogram 8000 has problems starting. It goes dead either when accelerating or when trying to lower the arm. After a dead period of a few seconds, it returns to the standby position (during which process it can also go dead). If I am very patient and goes through this a large number of times, it suddenly works and it then works until after the next longer period of standby.
    Could this perhaps be fixed with the Cap-kit I have read about and maybe also some soldering of bad connections?

Then the CDX. Periodically it wont recognize the CD - and the well-known question mark appears in the display. Are there any fixing Cap-kits or maybe tips about well-known bad connections/bad solderings? Some years ago I had the machine dismantled to repair a bad connection, and I remember it as being VERY compact, so good ideas are very welcome before I start.

Kind regards
    Niels Joergen

Filed under:
  • 07-20-2008 4:31 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 8000 and Beogram CDX problems

I would suggest that the cap kit and some soldering could well fix the 8000. The fact it does work at times is very positive.

The CDX could be poor solder joints as this is a common fault but could also be the spindle motor needing a good clean and service. Does it have particular problems with CDs with lots of tracks? If so, I would suspect the motor. 

• 07-20-2008 10:56 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree. It sounds like standard issues.

Capacitor kits are available for both machines and I would definitely recommend grabbing one for the Beogram 8000. Check also the condition of the tachodisc and check for cracked solders on the main board while in there.

The CD X will suffer from cracked solders in the power supply areas and also the via problem on the servo and audio boards. Caps are not always an issue here but there are a good 20 pcs of 22uF radials on the audio board that will need replacing as a minimum.

Both are somewhat goofy machines to service but of course it can be done and they are definitely worth it.

Martin

• 07-20-2008 1:49 PM In reply to

• njs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Thank you very much for the answers.

I will definitely go for the cap-kits and the bad solderings first for both machines.
    The tachodisc on the Beogram 8000 looks OK.
    I haven't seen any pattern for which discs the CDX won't read. When it works, it seems like it reads all discs and vice versa.

Where do I go to get the cap kits and what are the prices?
    By the way, while I am in there in the CDX, I also need some lamps (5 pcs) for the green number indicators. Do you know if they are also available (maybe I ought to change them all)?

Niels Jørgen

• 07-20-2008 1:53 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I can supply the cap kits. The Beogram 8000 will need the full package (its in the EUR 25 range with shipping) and in your case I would recommend you just grab a bunch of 22uF caps for the CDX rather than the complete (and quite comprehensive) kit.

The green LED's are probably not bad - just cracked solders. For some reason, the CD X is very prone to do this.

Martin

• 07-20-2008 4:39 PM In reply to

• njs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Thank you very much.
    I will do that.

Niels Jørgen

• 08-12-2008 1:07 AM In reply to

• njs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Hi again

I have received kits for both the 8000 and the CDX (some time ago) and the guide is very easy to follow. So far I have had the time to do the Beogram 8000 and it works beautifully! Smile

Next task is the CDX but I haven't had time yet.

Niels Jørgen

PS:
    Remember to release the floating chassis (three suspensions) before trying to open the Beogram 8000. It makes the repair so much more easy.

• 08-12-2008 3:23 AM In reply to

Well done! The suspension is really quite basic when you seen it exposed! Bits of bent wire as carriers! But it works well so I should not criticise! Laughing The earlier 4000 decks are much easier to get at ! Best of luck with the CDX.
  • 08-12-2008 4:20 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thank you so much for posting your results Niels.
    There must be loads of members like myself, who want to have a go at using Martin's cap kits, but are a bit nervous about starting it.
    Do you have any experience in electronics and soldering?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-12-2008 10:42 AM In reply to

Great to hear that another Beogram 8000 and soon CDX wil be back in flawless working order. Instead they are usally sold on as most people don't know how or where to get them serviced.

As for Dillen's input it's highly regarded here and my collection of B&O is very happy for his work. To bad that alot of older B&O goes to the scrap yard as they do not come by the Beoworld site. For  some Danish people english can be difficult so they they don't do research on fixing their B&O and if they go to a B&O service we know the answer. To expensive, a part can't be located or unqualified service as they are not used to do the work on a tangial Beogram for instance. My Beogram 8002 is a good example.

• 09-17-2008 6:35 PM In reply to

• njs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Hi Andy and Peter 

Sorry for not answering earlier but I have been busy with many other things ... and my email notification had stopped working.

Yes, I have experience with soldering and electronics in general and of course that helps, but I think you should give it a try even if you do not have any experience. You might start out by getting hold of some old scrap electronics to practice on first. Be sure to borrow or buy a good soldering iron with a small tip for electronics. Also - desoldering braid may help you when removing the old components. Again, practicing on old scrap electronics may be a good idea if you are not familiar with soldering.

The kits from Martin are very easy to use with good pictures for instruction.

Niels Joergen

• 09-22-2008 2:55 PM In reply to

• njs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Hello everyone

Success!! Big Smile

Last week I had the time to change the capacitors in the CDX as well. There is a little more work to changing capacitors in the CDX compared to the 8000. The CDX is very compact. If you are not in posession of a service manual, be sure to write down the position of all plugs before unplugging them - it is necessary to unplug them in order to get access to all the PCB's. Furthermore be aware that the lower big PCB can not be lifted up until a small capacitor is desoldered. Access to this capacitor is possible if the upper big PCB is lifted.

It took some hours but it was worth it because after changing the capacitors in the kit from Martin, the CDX has so far been working perfectly.

Conclusion: two rather cheap kits has changed both my Beogram 8000 and my Beogram CDX from being almost useless into working just like new machines!

Furthermore I got the hint from Martin that green LED's not working on the CDX could be bad solderings - and it was!
    When changing the capacitors I also took time to carefully go through all other solderings and repair the bad ones - and there were quite a lot of them.

Thanks to Martin for the help.

Niels Joergen

• 09-22-2008 3:08 PM In reply to

Congratulations! Very pleased to hear of a successful outcome - thank you for taking the trouble to let us know. Now all you need is to decide on the next project!
  • 09-26-2008 11:11 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Peter :

The CDX could be poor solder joints as this is a common fault but could also be the spindle motor needing a good clean and service. Does it have particular problems with CDs with lots of tracks? If so, I would suspect the motor. 

Does this also affect the Beogram CD 3300? I have on right here on my desk and it plays some discs without any trouble but then there is at least one disc it won't play at all, just shows the ?-mark on the screen. Another disc didn't play at all yesterday but started after second try Ok. 

Also the lid won't rise everytime - it jams after a 1-2 cm rise. Belts or lack of lubrication?

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 01-08-2009 8:48 AM In reply to

• ILC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

Hi Guys,

I also have had the same problems with my CDX not reading any disks. At first it was unreliable at reading disks, would read some and not others, and then eventually (recently) stopped reading any disks. 

Following the advice from this forum I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on the top board (decoder board), including all the 22uF, the single 1uF and the single 150uF caps. I also resoldered any suspect looking joints, about 10. Also I resoldered the whole PSU board as a preventative measure. Put it all back together and it works brilliantly!!

I have now cleaned and polished it up and wow!, it is still a beautiful looking product, now bought back to life with your help.

Thanks very much guys, appreciate it.

Ian

• 01-08-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Hi Ian, welcome to Beoworld Yes -  thumbs up

We are quite used to see new members first post being a problem or a question so thanks for this different but wonderful first post !

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)