in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-20-2008 6:36 PM by bkbd. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2008 4:21 PM

• bkbd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Beomaster 5000 Clicks off after 10 seconds of beautiful sound

I just acquired a Beomaster 5000 system.  The receiver/amp plays beautifully but only for 10 to 15 seconds at a time. When it auto clicks off it can immediately be tuned on again, but only plays for 10-15 seconds. The rear cooling fins seem to be hot.   All functions seem to operate including the master control.  It can be programmed to play automatically at a selected time of day using the control, but again only plays or 10 seconds.  Has anyone encountered this problem?  Is there something I have not connected properly that is causing this to occur? 
    Filed under: ,
  • 07-19-2008 5:17 PM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 5000 Clicks off after 10 seconds of beautiful sound

Hi bkbd

It sounds like the overload/short circuit protection built into the amp is tripping.

Check for stray "whiskers" of speaker wire between the + and - terminals of all the speaker plugs, at the connections on the speakers if these are clips/screws rather than 2 pin DIN plugs (depending on your speakers) and also at any joins in your wires.

The amount of amps/systems that we used to get back as faulty, only for it to be shorting speaker wires....

If it isn't that, then it sounds like a problem with the amplifier circuits...perhaps a dying capacitor/transistor, or more simply a stray screw rattling round the circuit board, shorting things out, as I had recently... 

Hope this helps....

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 07-19-2008 6:10 PM In reply to

• bkbd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Klimovsk

Thank you for the reply to my question.  I hope it is a simple matter as you indicated.  I will look the unit over carefully tonight. 

DAVE 

• 07-19-2008 6:35 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Try unpluging the speakers and anything else connected and see if it still cuts out. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and a very warm welcome to Beoworld.Big Smile

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-19-2008 7:20 PM In reply to

Jandyt:

Try unpluging the speakers and anything else connected and see if it still cuts out. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and a very warm welcome to Beoworld.Big Smile

Andy T.

Yes, I should have mentioned that too Embarrassed

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 07-19-2008 9:08 PM In reply to

• bkbd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Ray and Andy:

First I appreciate having someone to correspond about this puzzle. Thank you for your welcome.  I will enhance my information soon.  In need to find a suitable picture in Washington, DC.

Out of desperation, I turned the unit bottom up, setting the aluminum top of the unit on table.  It has been playing for 30 minutes so far.  The rear portion of the metal bottom over the fins is too hot to touch for an extended time (more than a second).  Does this receiver run that hot normally?  Soon I will be able to heat soup on it.  The sound is great.

I did return it once to the correct top side up position after playing it about 5 minutes inverted.  It cut off in 15 seconds. 

It may be time to examine the inside. 

DAVE 

• 07-20-2008 7:35 AM In reply to

Hi Dave

Yes, it could be something stray wandering about in there.

Cooling fins do get warm (of course it is their function) but not as hot as you are describing.  Are you driving low impedence speakers, say 2 ohms, at any great volume?

Try the upside down test with no speakers - does it still get hot?

Sometimes it is a process of going through silly things and this eventually leads you to the culprit, to paraphrase Sherlock Holmes Wink

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 07-20-2008 8:00 AM In reply to

The excess heat might be due to the quiescent current adjustment of the output stages being way off correct setting. This could happen due to aging trimpots, or something (the power amps in BM5000 are discrete, and not hybrids, right? I'm on a way too slow connection to look at the schematics now).

If this is the problem, the impedance of the speakers - or not having them connected at all - will have little effect on the heat produced at low volume. So because of this too, please do experiment if the amp heats as much without speakers.

Having the amp work while upside down does indeed suggest that something is loose or there is a bad connection somewhere.

-mika

• 07-20-2008 1:03 PM In reply to

• bkbd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Mika, Ray, Andy:

Thank you for taking your time with this problem.

I operated it without speakers.  I also took the top case off.  I firmed up all of the connectors that I could get to.  On the heating problem.  As viewed from the front half of the fins those closest to the speaker plug in block are very hot.  The fins on the other end seem normal warm.  The unit will cut out as before.  I lifted the top circuit board to expose the fan.  the solenoid switch that may also energize the fan click on and off with the display.  When the display goes (dark one red dot remains - normal) it seem that the power is still being applied to something that is heating the fins.  Shaking the unit nothing appears to be loose.

I think this is getting beyond my skill level.  It is nicely built in the interior. It is  nice to see actual components and wires.

By the way I may have selected a wrong tag previously.  The receiver is a beomaster 5000. 

• 07-20-2008 1:48 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The idle current trimmers are prone to failure and this is the exact symptom of this problem.

Replace the trimmers are readjust to factory spec. or, if you don't know how to do that, bring it to someone who often service B&O, it won't be an expensive repair.

Martin

• 07-20-2008 6:36 PM In reply to

• bkbd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2008
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Martin:

I'll take a copy of your message to the local B&O store and see if they have a recommendation for a local service person.  I don't want to ship this anywhere.

Thank you for your assistance.

DAVE 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)