in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-20-2008 5:23 PM by Craig. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-17-2008 5:30 PM

I hate E-Bay and its jokers

.......that is the story:

Last week I put on E-Bay a pair of beolab 3 speakers. A guy from Mexico bought them and wanted to send insured in Mexico. The cost: 340$ as the postal service in Mexico is 'special' and there are only UPS, Fedex that is secure  but they charge hefty prices. Now, the buyer told me: sorry man but is to expensive. I opened a dispute and adopted a friendly approach: no strike has been given to the buyer.  Almost 30 e-mails were exchanged between us.

3 days later the guy sends me an e-mail: I want the speakers. After 10 e-mails I told him that I'm going to relist the item. In few second the guy bought them again. Hi told me that his Paypal account is not working and consequently hi cannot pay. Asked all my bank account info to make a wire transfer and I said to him that I will not do that.  After almost 20 e-mails the guy send a 'surprise 'e-mail and said to me that he will not pay for the speakers. That's frustrating and I cannot even open a dispute until 23 July. I relisted the speakers and blocked that joker.

It's my third time I have problems with mexican guys. Next time I know what I have to do.... 

I really hate E-bay!

all sold!

• 07-17-2008 6:41 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Re: I hate E-Bay and its jokers - here here

There should be some better way of controlling those that do not really want goods.  I have found it a useful way to sell off some B&O - as far afield as Greece, Spain, Finland  and France. The only problem I had was with an MCP 5500 that I sold to someone in the USA who said it was not mint - but I had described it as good used for an item over 20 years old!  He paid to ship it back across the Atlantic so I was only out by postage.  I had the best of it though as 3 weeks later I sold it for 50% more!!

• 07-18-2008 7:26 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: I hate E-Bay and its jokers

Had a similar thing happen to me just recently, I was selling a Beogram which someone brought on B.I.N. After waiting over 2 weeks for payment they now don't want it and have offered to pay any relisting fees. Why click on the B.I.N. in the first place though.

CraigSmile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-18-2008 2:31 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Tell me about it!

I've had loads of trouble (like everyone else I suspect) with idiot buyers. I don't give them 2nd chances though and immediately block them from bidding again on my sales. The removal of being able to leave negative feedback for buyers has made the situation 10 fold worse. I've just received my first ever negative from some idiot who says I never posted an item after first saying he didn't want it because it hadn't arrived in Italy from the UK after just 3 days!! I refunded his payment plus postage after 14 days even though items aren't classed as missing until after 28 and he still left me a negative. For all I know he has received it and got his money back, what a complete £$%&*@ Super Angry

Rant over,

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-18-2008 3:56 PM In reply to

Totally DISAGREE ..............

All you guys know the pro's and cons of EBAY.......................

It works when you know what you're doing and you all have track records....................

Set your auctions correctly and you'll have no problems - i.e. UK sellers, sell in the UK only to people with proven history.

Simply put, you deserve to get burnt selling to some muppet from Mexico - DON'T GO THERE.

You don't whinge at all the positive trades you do.

Count the cash you've made at all the auctions that went your way.

No I don't work for Ebay, but how much would it cost to sell your B&O produce globally -   

• 07-18-2008 4:32 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Nice one Steve!

I totally agree with you, I have never had any problems, but don't post abroad.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-18-2008 4:49 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Well, I guess I'm in both Chris's and nikeyboy's camps.

Chris - Yea it's sometimes maddening... I've had international buyers with virtually no English language skills, no Paypal, etc, but have always managed with the utmost patience to eventually works things through. I remember getting my first negative feedback from some muppet who sold me something and then decided it wasn't for sale after all because it went for a low price - I left her negative feedback and she retaliated with negative feedback for me - so I do welcome ebay's removal of neg f/b for buyers .

nikeyboy - Sales to international buyers do work and you definitely get a higher price by doing so. I have sold to Mexico without any problems. Yes you have to be very careful - an essential is to send via a mode that requires a signature on receipt, otherwise you might as well right off what you've just despatched. I agree that for all the moaning I and a lot of others do about ebay and paypal and their charges, there's no real alternative (and even if there was, it would be a damn sight more expensive) for selling items to such a wide market.

Cheers

Nigel   

• 07-19-2008 12:44 AM In reply to

Sold a pair for BL2500 with extra frets a while back. The listing stated the speakers only, and I hooked up the speakers to the Beosound unit to show the green light. The buyer backed out since he thought it was for the entire system (BS and BL). Through his email attempting to express his situation, it was obvious he just looked at the pictures, stated to bid and didn't really read the listing. Luckily, the second highest bidder accepted and off they went. Hit and miss with the ebay thing.
  • 07-19-2008 8:55 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

nikeyboy1212:

Totally DISAGREE ..............

All you guys know the pro's and cons of EBAY.......................

Yes there are pro's and cons but the problem I have now is that ebay is far too loaded in favour of the buyer and sellers have no recourse whatsoever to balance this enequity. As a seller you can now only leave positive feedback - or none at all - for a buyer, no matter how badly they conduct themselves which leaves other potential sellers with no idea who they are dealing with. I accept that every now and again there will be problems which I of course take into account when selling but to have no say in what a buyer can and cannot get away with is totally wrong.

Paypal is exactly the same and ebay now FORCE UK sellers to accept this (with its extortionate fees) which is totally out of order IMO as it is also owned by ebay and is taking away sellers choice of payment.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-19-2008 9:40 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Medogsfat:

Paypal is exactly the same and ebay now FORCE UK sellers to accept this (with its extortionate fees) which is totally out of order IMO as it is also owned by ebay and is taking away sellers choice of payment.

Chris.

Did you see the offer from Paypal a few weeks ago, to have all you fees paid for a year. Only open to one lucky winner of course, the drawback been. If you entered you could only use Paypal and nothing else as your payment method. Gues what, I did not enter.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-19-2008 9:49 AM In reply to

I refuse to use Paypal. Just select it as an option when selling stuff and in the description rubric just say I do not accept Paypal. Works every time for me.

• 07-19-2008 11:27 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Graham1982:

I refuse to use Paypal. Just select it as an option when selling stuff and in the description rubric just say I do not accept Paypal. Works every time for me.

There are quite a few sellers doing this now. Although I suspect if the buyer ignored what you said and paid by Paypal regardless. There would not be much you could do about it.Sad

CraigSmile

• 07-19-2008 4:22 PM In reply to

come on guys .......... i used to think this way however look at the basics........

think GLOBAL.................

to market your produce and set up an automated banking/payment system to trade worldwide would cost us mortals sqillions.................

my local weekly rag wants big bucks for a crappy advert ..................

sorry its a no brainer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• 07-19-2008 6:17 PM In reply to

Craig:
    Graham1982:

There are quite a few sellers doing this now. Although I suspect if the buyer ignored what you said and paid by Paypal regardless. There would not be much you could do about it.Sad

CraigSmile

Ebay will pull your advert if the no paypal text is reported to them. It happens, believe me! 

Regards Graham

• 07-20-2008 5:23 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

joeyboygolf:
    Craig:
    Graham1982:

CraigSmile

Graham, I can quite easily believe it.

CraigSmile

Ebay will pull your advert if the no paypal text is reported to them. It happens, believe me! 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)