in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-15-2009 6:59 PM by msengers. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-16-2008 10:31 PM

Solution for multi HDMI inputs with a single DVI in

Hi All,

My BV7 only has one DVI in and I want to connect more than one HDMI source.  What is the best way to do this?  I have got a non B&O optical to coaxial convertor from a B&O store but it is only single input and single output which makes life difficult.  Anyone can help of this?

Bouncer 

• 07-17-2008 2:29 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Re: Solution for multi HDMI inputs with a single DVI in

First there are HDMI to DVI adapters, but you have to actually look and see which specific type of DVI card ( DVI A, DVI-D, DVI-I, single or dual layers ) socket you have.

How do you do this ? Click on the link below, which although old will help.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Secondly, there are HDMI switch boxes for multiple HDMI devices available. However, they only allow one connection at a time, and being used to the convenience of a Beo 4 or 5, can be a real pain as they have to be switched manually.

DVI is also Digital Video only. Sound is run via a separate cable source.

• 07-17-2008 4:18 AM In reply to

hi folks

Gefen has a HDMI Expander wich is supported by B&O (swiching automaticly via PUC!). Your Dealer should be able to provide you with such a piece (BV 7 then needs a software update). We used it already a few times and it workes just fine. 

• 07-17-2008 11:08 AM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

spiderdan; do you know if it exists a B&O - BS3/BV7&9 - PUC controllable digital audio (spdif) to be used with a BL5?

I have two digital sources that i want to feed into my BL5's - a macmini and my BS9000.....currently there are only manualy switches that i'm aware off....

Thx
    Klas

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 07-17-2008 11:18 AM In reply to

well as much as i know.....there's no such solution supported from bang&olufsen. i wouldn't even connect my imac/appletv with spdif (but that's my opinion...)
  • 07-17-2008 11:21 AM In reply to

you might want to read that:

When listening to a CD with BeoLab 5 connected to BeoSound 9000 and BeoCenter 2.

• Continuous volume up/down may result in sound drop out (Power Link data arrive delayed and in blocks)
      • Sound drop out may happen when changing from analog to digital signal (e.g. from radio to CD)
      • Tone controls and Loudness are not working (not active on SPDIF)
      • No balance adjustment is possible (not active on SPDIF)
      • No volume fade-down when being put in standby (not active on SPDIF)

A surround sound setup where the source is a CD: 
    BeoSound 9000 or BeoCenter 2 is connected to a TV with surround sound - a pair of BeoLab 5 are connected as front speakers to the TV's surround sound module - and BeoLab 5 is also connected to the digital in/out socket (SPDIF signal) of the audio product.
    Since bass management does not work on SPDIF, the listener may get the following slightly adverse sound experiences, depending on the mode in which the speakers have been set: 
      • In Speaker mode 2 - when BeoLab 5 plays stereo via SPDIF - the setup with BeoLab 2 on sub-output is not recommended.
      • In Speaker mode 3 - when BeoLab 5 plays stereo via SPDIF and TV loudspeakers play Dolby Center signal - there will be a delay in the sound signals from BeoLab 5 to the center speaker.
      • In Speaker mode 4 - when BeoLab 5 plays stereo via SPDIF and rear loudspeakers play stereo via Power Link - there will be a delay in the sound signals from BeoLab 5 to the rear loudspeakers.
      • In Speaker mode 5 - when BeoLab 5 plays stereo via SPDIF and all other loudspeakers play surround signal via Power Link - there will be a delay in the sound signals from BeoLab 5 to the other loudspeakers.

• 07-23-2008 12:56 PM In reply to

Thanks for the tips.  Funny that my local dealer only sells me a single optical and single coaxial out adapter. I think I can get a splitter for more than one HDMI source into the DVI but  I need to get a multi optical  in  adapter if I want to  have more than one HDMI source.

Secondly, are there any topics explain how to deal with the problem with PS3 sound output?  Every time if I want to play an audio disc with the PS3, I have to goto the setup manual to de-select the optical out and then goto the BV7 to delete the coaxial optical in.  Its is workable but troublesome.  

• 07-23-2008 4:59 PM In reply to

• tIRED
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2008
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

On your "second" question: On the BV7 MKII (which you seem to have) the whole digital audio implementation is screwed up. It doesn't support plain 2-channel stereo (PCM streams) of the digital inputs (SPDIFs) but gladly accepts 5-channel "stereo" (aka DD 5.1)... ..for some unexplainable reason. This is (and will be) a major issue with more and more HD-cable boxes only supporting digital audio (or at least is only switchable between digital and analog audio, as mine are). I have 3 sets of BV7-40 (MKII) which currently don't do much of a performance as I have no sound way of watching plain tv (news, sports etc., as they broadcast in digital stereo, normally) _or_ watch movies from the premium channels (HD) where they often broadcast DD5.1.. (without doing that manual reconfiguring of both the tv and the stb:s, when I switch channels.. Surfing through 40 channels on a saturday night isn't much fun now...).

You will have to keep reconfiguring your setup like you discribe everytime you wish to switch between digtial surround and plain digital stereo sound (which wont be digital in you $15.000 tv-set..) Way to go B&O!  

/tIRED (of my corrupt $100.000 setup)
    Filed under:
  • 01-31-2009 3:18 AM In reply to

Hi tIRED,

Agree with you completely.  The digital department of the TV is pretty much screwed up.  Don't expect to face that kind of problem when you spent a fortune on a TV.

Bouncer

• 01-31-2009 3:43 AM In reply to

spiderdan:

Gefen has a HDMI Expander wich is supported by B&O (swiching automaticly via PUC!). Your Dealer should be able to provide you with such a piece (BV 7 then needs a software update). We used it already a few times and it workes just fine. 

I understand it is not a B&O product, is anyone able to give us the brand and model of this splitter.

• 01-31-2009 6:02 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

spiderdan gives the brand as Gefen, although he doesn't mention the model number.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-31-2009 6:05 AM In reply to

Haha! I thought Gefen was the name another member of this forum! 

• 01-31-2009 6:07 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

PhilLondon:

Haha! I thought Gefen was the name another member of this forum! 

Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 01-31-2009 8:00 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Should be this one: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3278 . Four sources and IR controllable so you can use the BV7 PUC. A special sw is needed (sw 7.7?). Another solution: http://shop.oneremote.dk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2457. There is also an english manual.

Stefan

• 02-02-2009 4:44 PM In reply to

Just emailed Gefen and got the following answer:

"Thank you for contacting Gefen. There is the EXT-HD-144A. The
    unit has 1 HDMI in and 4 DVI outs. Unfortunately, these units have been
    discontinued. "

Super Angry

• 02-02-2009 5:10 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Yes. But what you need is a HDMI switch - EXT-HDMI-441- with 4 inputs and 1 out, not the splitter.

Stefan

• 02-02-2009 5:41 PM In reply to

Yes you are right... so which model is supported by B&O then...

• 12-15-2009 3:54 PM In reply to

Hello

I have the Vivanco 3 to 1 HDMI Switcher.

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/1382082_-hdhd-3-1a-n-vivanco.html

A HDMI Female-Female plug and a HDMI to DVI Cable connected to the first edition of BV7 with HD Kit upgrade.

And a cable from Vivanco to connect from source to switcher.

But it just won't work. Serious noiso on the screen. Direct connection works.

Has anyone any tipps? Everything is HDMI 1.3.

Also the sound cannot be adjusted on the BV7 (Bass, Treble), after I've pressed DTV, the Menu only gives me picture adjustments. Sound adjustments made in TV mode are not active on DTV.

Tried almost everything. Spent a lot of money for HDMI Splitter and it just doesn't work.

This is something I just don't understand. Selling products which do not work.

Michael

• 12-15-2009 4:21 PM In reply to

The B&O supported HDMI switcher is just this one.

Remember that you have to connect the audio directly from de source to the BV and you need a sw update (and maybe a hardware update if your BV is not HD Ready).

This switcher is supported by ALL the current BVs, excepting BV8-26"/32"

Jq. BS4 BL3 A8 Form2

• 12-15-2009 4:29 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

This would be the new model number as I understand it, there is also an alternative, maybe someone knows why.

1 x EXT-HDMI1.3-441 - preferred

OR

GTV-HDMI1.3-441

beoaus

• 12-15-2009 6:59 PM In reply to

thank you for your answers. I will check with my dealer.

just stupid, I'v spent quite some money on cables and switchers without any use.

Michael

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)