in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-21-2008 7:26 PM by ........... 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-16-2008 3:57 PM

Normal Dealer Protocol?

Visted my local dealer yesterday as I was interested in buying a new BV7-40. Had a nice chat and demo - good so far. But I asked for a pricelist and a ctalogue and was met with "we don't have a pricelist" and was given last years catalogue....very strange. I was not particularly impressed by this.  Is this normal?
  • 07-16-2008 4:01 PM In reply to

Re: Normal Dealer Protocol?

No! At present I would expect dealers to be chasing every possible sale!
  • 07-16-2008 4:02 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

It's a bit strange, especially because you had a demo on the same day.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 07-16-2008 4:25 PM In reply to

I was a walk-in customer. I liked the showroom as it is the more local of two in my area, but the lack of a pricelist and the old catalogue turned me off. Incidentally I was at a couple of high end car dealers today and they both had piles of the latest B&O magazines sitting in their reception areas. Are the dealers afraid of their prices being available to each other? Perhaps they want to prevent haggling.

I have to say I love the product but at £8800 it must be a very hard sell in the present climate. I consider myself as part of the target B&O demographic but even I have had a little of the heart vs head discussion with myself.

• 07-16-2008 4:44 PM In reply to

I had an experience at a local B&O store last week like yours.  When I asked for the new catalog, I got a blank look.  Maybe just a bad day but it did feel strange.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-16-2008 4:46 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

rmclachlan:

Perhaps they want to prevent haggling.

Trust me on this, but the customer is king at the moment. I would haggle. I would ask them what they can do to encourage the sale. I'd also go to another dealer and speak to them, as well. Like Peter said, every dealer should be really chasing the deals, as UK sales are low *and* it's July/August which, traditionally speaking, is a poor time for retail. I can't believe your local dealer will sell many TVs over the next couple of months....yet they still have their regular bills.

• 07-16-2008 6:49 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Well, despite the fact that the supply of new magalogs is a bit tight over here in the colonies, you can get one if you ask (you may be asked to fill out an address card while one is fetched; but given your interest in the products that wouldn't be a hurdle really).  Not availing you of a price list is rather strange, and I agree a bit off-putting.  Quite odd.

Given the current economic climate, do remember that discounts come out of the salesperson's pocket, not just that faceless 'store's' bottom line.  Haggle as you will, but be mindful of the level of personal service you expect, and are willing to pay for.  Trip is testy enough as it is!  Can you imagine him at 20:15 on a day off, after I I've bashed him for a 'good' price, and now I'm calling because I can't remember how to make my AppleTV work?  I imagine his face a rather dangerous shade of puce.  Devil

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-16-2008 6:57 PM In reply to

I agree totally about customer service - it is not free. However for the sales person to perhaps lose the sale due to simple errors is unforgiveable, there will be no customer service to worry about as there will be no sale. No pricelist? come on!
  • 07-16-2008 8:51 PM In reply to

For the price list, they could print or copy that. For the catalogue/magazine I did observe that frequently. It's not that they don't want you to have it, they just don't get it from headquarters.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-16-2008 9:12 PM In reply to

I was sent an email saying the catalog was available and to come into the store to get my copy.  In the "old days" the price list was included in the catalog. 

• 07-16-2008 9:56 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

I had a couple clients that got the email and came into the showroom asking for the catalog. I had to appologize and tell them that I did not have it in yet.

Also we are giving out old catalogs as I still have many left and have to make room for the new ones.

-Alex
  • 07-18-2008 10:52 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

We don't receive the newest catalogues in Hong Kong until three or four months after they have been made available in the UK and Europe.

B&O here used to have price lists but discontinued that practice several years ago -- not quite sure why.  The sales clerks are willing to provide the customer with the prices of the items or we can copy down the prices ourselves from the cards next to the displayed items.  I don't see much of a difference from providing a customer with the price(s) of an item(s) or providing the customer with a price list -- other than the price list contains all the available B&O products and their prices.

• 07-19-2008 1:06 AM In reply to

rmclachlan:
    I agree totally about customer service - it is not free. However for the sales person to perhaps lose the sale due to simple errors is unforgiveable, there will be no customer service to worry about as there will be no sale. No pricelist? come on!
    Price lists availability are certainly varied between dealers, as you have experienced some dealers don't produce them.  Some dealers price list are extremely complex, even containing spare parts and modules.  I have asked dealers about this in the past and those who choose not to produce them simply say that because there are so many combinations for 1 product (Beovision 7 is an example with 4 stand options 2 speaker options and a choice of remote control) the prices vary and in their experience can be confusing for the customer.  Regardless of what you think about that, the sales person at very least shoud explaine that reason and offer you a quote for whatever you are interested in.
  • 07-19-2008 7:54 AM In reply to

• BeoLad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • West Midlands
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

was the dealer a uk dealer?

very odd to give you an old brochure??

regards.

• 07-21-2008 11:48 AM In reply to

Yes it was UK dealer. Perhaps it was just an off day, but I really would hope that B&O dealers were a little sharper. However I was in Paris over the weekend and let me tell you there is nothing can teach the Parisians about poor service, my B&O dealer was positively 5 star by comparison.
  • 07-21-2008 12:00 PM In reply to

• BeoLad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • West Midlands
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

which uk dealer was it? I often travel about and be good to do a mystery shop on them to see if they are up to scratch.

The french never let us down LOL.

• 07-21-2008 5:48 PM In reply to

I purchased B&O products at two different dealers in Paris and thought the service was very good.  I bought a Serene phone in Paris and after I return to the US, about 3 days later, I received a telephone call from the Paris dealer asking if everything was okay and was I happy with the product.

• 07-21-2008 5:54 PM In reply to

Price lists should be available online.  Automobile prices are online as well as other companies.

If B&O is afraid people will think American prices are less expensive, remind everyone, American prices do not include taxes which are set locally. 

• 07-21-2008 7:02 PM In reply to

Sorry, I did not mean to denigrate B&O dealers in Paris or France for that matter. I just had some appalling service from some general retailers which would not be acceptable in the UK, perhaps just very unlucky, of course it could just be me...
  • 07-21-2008 7:26 PM In reply to

linder:

Price lists should be available online.  Automobile prices are online as well as other companies.

If B&O is afraid people will think American prices are less expensive, remind everyone, American prices do not include taxes which are set locally. 

I think you will find that because B&O is franchised (speaking on behalf of the UK market), by law they cannot set prices for their products. Not sure how it works but it is definately the case!

I agree that it is nice to have a price list but as mentioned above, due to the modularity of the products it is very difficult to have set prices! The best approach in my opinion would be to find out what the customer is interested in and pencil in a few price options in the catalogue. I think in most cases a pricelist would be quite confusing, especially to a new customer!

I can't understand why you didn't get a new catalogue though! :-)

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)