in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-15-2008 7:16 PM by R Patton. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-15-2008 3:53 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beo Vision 4 or Beo Vision 7

akeithj:
    355f - Does you analogy apply equally to the BV 4, or is it specific to the BV 7 ?

I think one has to have the items on test to make a proper judgement, if your buying because you like the package that the BV7 offers thats a worthy reason to buy it. But it makes no sense to  post stating its the best LCD picture on the planet when it is not at present and come later this year it will be a long way behind. The new panels that cost about £1500 are superior to the BV7 that costs 5 times that.

The BV4 is a different animal. The picture is good, arguably not a lot that betters it, although the pioneer comes equal or better- but its not inferior.

Again, its very difficult to justify £13K for this TV.

• 07-15-2008 4:04 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

tIRED:

With the risk of repeating a few comments I'd like to say the following.

1. I have both a 4-50 (BS3 BL7.2 4*8000 BL2) and two 7-40 (MKII, BL7.4 4*8000) and both are great sets. The plasma performs somewhat better watching HD-_movie_content. The LCD is abit sharper (which tends to be better when watching traditional TV-content). The 7-40 looks great in several ways of mounting (freestanding, wallmount low floorstand) as the 4-50 _has_ to be mounted on a flat wall... Pretty much.. As the 7-40 had a built in DVD (bhuuu) player it performs well as a "hub" of your link-system.. A shame that BO can't throw in a simple 100USD BlueRay-player in the BV7-40 as of today... Dell "threw one in" when a bought new laptops for the kids at USD399 per laptop..

2. Both do upscaling farily OK (even though the BS3 is supposed to do it better I can hardly tell a difference) but any high-res panel (like these ones) are built to show high-res, as HD-content always is preferred. Get a cable/sat supplier with HD-content or don't get any of the TV-sets... Get a cable box which is in the PUC-list (your dealer will help you out choosing the right model). 

3. Get speakers! Much of the "spoken of" superiour experiece watching movies with these types of sets comes from the sound. No need to argue that once experienced...

4. These TV-sets are nowhere near the best panels you can buy on the market today (or sound processors, for that matter). You get a better and more modern (from a tech-point-fo view) setup for a 5th of the money with Sony or Samsung with a suitable surround decoder and a set of speakers. You simply don't buy these types of setups because they are "a smart buy" and "worth the money". You buy them because they are good looking, integrate well (masterlin, powerlink) and can be handled by your wife (or your kids).

Good luck with your purchase and hope you feel your money is well spent.. :)

Its very interesting that you find the BV7 better when watching traditional TV content- this is against the general perception of LCD. of course HD content ir preferred but its quality is varied.

I agree that on does not buy these sets purely for value for money on the others hand one does not want to make this kindof investment to find far superior pictures at  afractoion of the price/

• 07-15-2008 4:22 PM In reply to

• tIRED
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2008
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

That's odd. I feel the "speed" and the contrast of the LCD is better for watching your average cooking or talk show on a weekday night.. It also performs way better in a day lit room (especially with the sun coming in from any angle). The plasma performs close to poor with too much day light (despite of the anti reflection and anti glare treatment on the glass front, which I find somewhat of a joke).

I can add that my fried has a Samsung LCD (about 2 years old) which performs _far_ better than any of my sets in direct sun light.

..however (as someone else wrote). "No sound reason spending a fortune on a red, italian sports car when a moden japanese one kicks it's ass by far at the Ring" (which is true any day of the week). I woundn't wanna be seen in a Toyota (can't even spell it, I think) downtown on a friday night.. I know, vanity is a form of illness.. :)

/tIRED (of my corrupt $100.000 setup)
  • 07-15-2008 4:36 PM In reply to

The person I referred to was speaking of high def on a Sony.

My dealer does have the latest models in. In fact, manufacturers sometimes use them to unveil new models. See the following article.

Electronics superstore

This dealer currently has approximately 110 different LCDs and Plasmas 36 inch or available.

Also, there was mention here about a new TV in September with a better picture. Have you seen that new TV? Specifications do not tell the whole story. Again, to use the car analogy, most people do not buy a car based on specifications alone, they actually look at and test drive them. The same is true of TVs. New technology does not always equal better.

Bottom line is to truly decide, one must view the various options and then decide. If one defines the best picture by specifications alone, one will always want a different TV as specifications change so rapidly.

Again comparing any other LCD to a BV7 is like comparing apples and oranges, no Samsung, Sharp, Sony etc LCD has the picture processing capabilities, the sound processing capabilities, the ability to run a projector. Look at this way, here in the US a BS 3 is about $7,800, a BL7-4 is about $3800, the stand $1000 for a total of about $12,600. Total price for the ensemble is $14,250 so it can be argued that the basic panel/TV  really only costs about $1650, less than competitors. This does not include the DVD player that would have to be purchased with any other TV. Sure, buy a Sony, Krell amps, B and W speakers and you will get basically the same performance, and spend the same, or more. It is all a matter of preferences obviously.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 07-15-2008 7:16 PM In reply to

"Again comparing any other LCD to a BV7 is like comparing apples and oranges, no Samsung, Sharp, Sony etc LCD has the picture processing capabilities, the sound processing capabilities, the ability to run a projector. Look at this way, here in the US a BS 3 is about $7,800, a BL7-4 is about $3800, the stand $1000 for a total of about $12,600. Total price for the ensemble is $14,250 so it can be argued that the basic panel/TV  really only costs about $1650, less than competitors. This does not include the DVD player that would have to be purchased with any other TV. Sure, buy a Sony, Krell amps, B and W speakers and you will get basically the same performance, and spend the same, or more. It is all a matter of preferences obviously."

Razlaw I could not agree more with this, I shopped around for various plasma and projector and sound system packages and found out I would be spending nearly the same amount, if not more, when putting together all the components than the B&O system I have now.  Throw in excellent customer service and a three year warranty along with B&O design/style the other so called "high end Audio Visual dealers" were not even in the same league.

Roger 

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2