in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-13-2008 10:10 PM by jk1002. 59 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (60 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-12-2008 3:28 PM

Everything is different now ...

(Maybe leave this here in General, though it deals with the capabilities in the latest version of iPhone 2.0 software - which can also be used in Touch.)

I believe that manufacturers of hifi and mobile phones around the world are scrambling now, and I can well understand why Bill Gates recently chose to step down. Apple have placed a mark so high as to what's possible that people must be on their way back from vacations to figure out how to respond.

The iPhone is not just a phone. The entire concept is devastatingly effective.

An example. I installed a free application called Shazam. It listens to music that you want to tag - you can be seated in a café, in front of your radio or television. Takes about eight seconds, and Shazam identifies the music - this is also available for other mobile phones, what comes next isn't: Shazam then finds out whether the piece of music you listened to has films on YouTube, and also links to iTunes Store, where you can purchase the music. You can instantly play videos, etc. related to the music.

Another program: BoxOffice. You give it your zip-code (versions for locations outside the U.S. are coming.)
    Then you specify how many miles you're willing to travel - 5, 10, 15.
    And it will find either specific movies, or all movies showing in theatres within the radius of that circle. With times when they are showing, and the addresses of the movie theatres.
    AND - it also ranks the movies according to the scores they have received over at www.rottentomatoes.com - and gives you a small capsule review, as well as links to full reviews.
    Of course, you can use the built-in GPS to plot a course from where you are to where the movie is showing.

Tuner - one of several internet radio playback and control applications, many of which are free.

NetNewsWire - which connects to RSS and other feeds you have specified, making following these easy as pie.

The point being - 25.000 developers applied, and 4.000 were approved. There's a deluge of AppStore applications -- many free and incredibly good, and many for sale -- and they are providing unbelievable enhancements to this "phone".

I've previously mentioned that I was more than pleased with Remote, which is free and which gave me control of iTunes playback of movies and music;  and there are other applications, both available now and coming, that will provide hardware control.

In essence, there are very few limits to what the iPhone and the iPod Touch can do now - with the iPhone having the most capabilities of the two, and with the iPhone having become so powerful that you'll probably often just leave your laptop behind.

As people begin savouring the world of what AppStore applications are making possible, coupled with the amazing features of the iPhone itself, the bar has been raised to a point far above whatever else is out on the market today.

Implications for hifi, B&O and others?
    For one, Squeezebox and Sonos were just made obsolete. With an iPod Touch or iPhone you now have full, multi-room control of playback of both movies and music, as well as other digital files. Remote can access various libraries throughout your house, associated with different Macs or storage devices, and can initiate and control playback from these - of both audio and video that has been stored digitally.

Which means that the sensible thing to do is to simply accept that Apple has just cleared the roost as far as the storage and playback control of digital content is concerned - when hardware control is added to the equation, you'll simply want to control everything with a Touch or iPhone, and you will expect your hifi-company to simply deliver solutions that accept the output from Apple's devices. (Windows machines can also be controlled by iPhone and iPod Touch, for those who wonder.)

AppleTV added HDMI 1080p resolution as one of the possible choices in the video settings menu in the latest update, which means that ATV should soon be giving us access to Full-HD content. (HD-content available now is 1080i with 5.1 Dolby Digital).
    It's possible to output high resolution video and audio from their computers (they're used by both the music and video industries ...), which means that we can have that same resolution in our living rooms, if we wish.

And that takes me to my point: I really think that it's going to be very, very difficult to outsmart or outdo Apple when it comes to convenient computer control of digital content. HiFi manufacturers should simply recognise that, and work with what these components are making possible, rather than trying to come up with an alternative.
    Just imagine, there are 4.000 approved AppStore developers (companies and individuals) creating applications now - from apps that let you track every one of BA's flights, to sophisticated scientific apps, and a smattering of truly fun games and interactions.

The game just changed, and everything is different from now on. B&O should truly focus on creating the best possible speakers and screens, as well as other hardware required to make playback of content from Apple's units as brillliant as possible ... the company from One Infinity Loop is just too far ahead of everyone else ...

Thoughts?

• 07-12-2008 4:28 PM In reply to

Re: Everything is different now ...

Very difficult to do anything but agree! I now listen to almost all my music via the computer and am getting a new iPhone. Now it is 3G, it has all I require.
  • 07-12-2008 4:42 PM In reply to

It's quite something. BTW - don't understand why this was moved to the Mac forum - iPhone and iPod Touch, plus the apps for them, can be used on both Windows and Mac OS X computers. The implications of this go far beyond computers - it's going to turn Consumer Electronics on its head.

• 07-12-2008 4:46 PM In reply to

soundproof:
    (Maybe leave this here in General, though it deals with the capabilities in the latest version of iPhone 2.0 software - which can also be used in Touch.)

The game just changed, and everything is different from now on. B&O should truly focus on creating the best possible speakers and screens, as well as other hardware required to make playback of content from Apple's units as brillliant as possible ... the company from One Infinity Loop is just too far ahead of everyone else ...

Thoughts? 

At first, leave this thread in the General Forum please.

I agree with you soundproof. Thanks for the inside info.

You pointed out to me the software which makes DVD playback possible via the Mac Mini on the BV7. At that time I knew I would get a iPod/iPhone eventually. Till now I was able to wait, and still do. I would like to buy a new version iPod 2.0 with all the build in features of the iPhone minus the phone ofcourse. So I will wait a little bit longer.

• 07-12-2008 4:57 PM In reply to

You can actually install the iPhone 2.0 software in the iPod Touch now. The download can be bought from the iTunes Store, and costs about €7 -- you install it in your iPod Touch using iTunes, and then you can install all the apps mentioned, as well as choose from hundreds of others.

BTW - there's a Pocketpedia organising app that shows you all your DVD, CD and Book pedia content.

I will now be moving my DVDs into the Movies folder of iTunes, in order to be able to access the movies with Remote on iPhone and iPod Touch -- but you can still link DVDpedia to the new location, and get the same interaction.

Here's a link to the 20 apps PC World found most useful or interesting:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/148296/20_cool_iphone_apps.html

(And yes, there are thousands of apps for Windows Mobile, but nothing with the ease of use and gui of these ...)

• 07-12-2008 6:05 PM In reply to

I didn't move it! Laughing
  • 07-12-2008 6:15 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I have a BeoSound 4 with an Apple Airport Express connected. The new iPhone/Touch 2 software means I can now listen and control my computer based music through my link room speakers with full visual display via the my iPod Touch. 

This is now the ultimate remote control and will only get better once other manufactures release remote control apps for their products.

R.I.P. Beoport 

• 07-12-2008 6:25 PM In reply to

Crossing fingers, Britops.

I want the performance and elegance of B&O audiovisual products - loudspeakers, screens and audiomasters - combined with the convenience, ease of use and sheer wow of having Apple control and storage of my content.

The first company that provides me with a good box that can translate my commands into something my hardware understands, including B&O, will find me a very eager customer. I want something that understands my Remote instructions, and which can switch on-and-off my hardware, while I only have to use the iPhone or Touch.

• 07-12-2008 10:00 PM In reply to

Another thought... Steve Jobs is always thinking way ahead of the pack.  He put out these two devices, the iPhone and iPod touch - both are palm-top computers with wifi.  TV (in the US) is going all digital in Feb 2009.  Currently, the FCC has mandates that the space between assigned frequencies used by analog TV distribution remain free.  When TV goes digital, the FCC has decided to let the private sector determine the best use for that space.

What does that mean?  A lot of companies (e.g. Apple, Google, etc...) have been chomping at the bit to make use of that bandwidth.  That space could be used for wifi, free cellular service.... all types of fun things...  A lot of companies are already testing products that will take advantage of that space.  This is just speculation, but what if Apple saw this coming all along... what if the products they are testing are already in our hands....

Oh, and yes, I did buy Apple stock last year :)

• 07-13-2008 4:51 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

It's the old case of the strong will get stronger here i think.  Look at the best sports teams - when they are champions/winners, all the best players want to play for them and the team gets stronger.  I think the same is happening for Apple - the best programmers and minds are heading for the doors of Apple. They are a pretty 'cool' company too, which will attract fresh young talent as well as experienced people.

I often wonder when home AV/computer technology will 'plateau' and when we reach that level, what will we have? Fascinating, as even twenty years ago we would never have imagined where we are now - so in another twenty years, with the technology we already have - where will it have got to?

I am all for raising the bar - but with one caveat. Simplicity. The most brilliant creations are packed full of technology, beautifully designed - and above all, simple and logical to use.  From what i have heard, the latest Apple products are all this.

I too hope that B&O can become 'friends' with Apple and interact. I know Torben was not fond at all (i'm being modest on his behalf here) of Apple, and had plenty of friends at Microsoft from his Lego days - but i think that may possibly have stunted development for B&O. I could be wrong though..

Lee 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-13-2008 6:24 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

I still prefer my house "Apple free" Big Smile. Bought a Sony A829 instead of a Ipod, build my own design pc instead of a iMac, bought a nice Sony Ericsson w890i instead of the Iphone, go on go on....

Maybe you guys question why ? I just don't want to be somebody in the mass of millions of people that own the same stuff. It's just not funny to buy a new Apple gadget if all your friends have got the same. It's a bit like the furniture in the Ikea, it looks good but it's not that you can say: "YES THIS IS THE ***". Thats why I don't buy Apple and thats why I should wear Hugo Boss underwear instead of Bjorn Borg.

Have to say that they have got brilliant software like the topicstarter mentioned, and most of the design are rather good too, but for the reasons above I still don't care about the whole Apple thing at all.  

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 07-13-2008 7:47 AM In reply to

I know what you mean, but sometimes a device is clearly superior to all others. The original iPod was such a device and Apple have kept improving it. The original iPhone was not clearly the best but the latest upgrade has moved it in my view to be just that. Sometimes something becomes the best seller simply because it is the best. As long as it is not priced to exclude people, it will sell well even for a premium.

I am sure the devices you have a very good - my daughter has a Sony phone - but they are just devices and will be replaced by Sony in the next catalogue no doubt. In the technology and design museum in 50 years time, the iPod and iPhone will be there - will your Sonys? 

• 07-13-2008 8:27 AM In reply to

I see your point, Beobird, but I don't see any alternatives delivering the same ease-of-use that I am looking for - when that user convenience in addition comes in a very well designed package, with top-notch user interface, then it's a walk-over for the Apple solution.

As to "everyone" using them - Macs still have no more than 5-6% of the world's PC platforms, though their share is growing. Which means it's still pretty exclusive - Cool - and everyone is moaning about Macs and their phones and iPods being too expensive.

It's just a more powerful tool - I read the article about the BeoWorlder who was the first in the U.S. to get a 3G iPhone, he sold his first generation one for USD20 less than what he gave for it, a year later ... You really have to try the experience of having software and hardware that simply works, it's priceless.

• 07-13-2008 9:03 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Your absolutely wright. In the form of the perfect product the Ipod is way ahead of any other brand on the planet. If it comes to sound/picture quality it will be different, but thats not what counts for most people and museums.

I just like Sony's 80 style designs, because they fit good with my beocenter 9500 and the bl7k. Apple's Imac's will fit better to the bs9000 or the latest creations, but in that case I still prefer a Neovo P screen combined with a Lian Li pc, just because everbody allready has or want a Imac.

Apple is just the first big hype in history with good products (thats what makes it perfect). Hard to say, but most times hypes are with worthless product instead of leading technologies Smile.

• 07-13-2008 9:09 AM In reply to

• tc
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-25-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

9 LEE:

I too hope that B&O can become 'friends' with Apple and interact. I know Torben was not fond at all (i'm being modest on his behalf here) of Apple, and had plenty of friends at Microsoft from his Lego days - but i think that may possibly have stunted development for B&O. I could be wrong though..

Lee 

I wasn't aware of the negativity Torben felt towards Apple. As the man in charge of a company whose customer base has an unusually high number of apple users and fans this can only have had a negative impact on the business.

A version of Beoport/PC2 that worked directly with a mac would surely have increased sales of this product and Beosounds that had NMusic capability. This does not seem to be the actions of a good CEO.

I have caught the Apple bug, having started with an Apple TV and and now an iMac, and the future purchase of say a Beovision would depend on it properly controlling the relevant Apple device. Hopefully the new boss will have a better idea of how to look after his customers!

Adrian. 

• 07-13-2008 9:16 AM In reply to

Soundproof-

What a great description in your initial post to this thread! I agree completely. I, too, am hoping that B&O will take notice of Apple's advancements. While Macs cost more than PCs and have a smaller market share in general, the market share becomes MUCH greater among the demographics of higher-income households. For those of us who buy B&O, the cost of a Mac is negligible when considering the elegance and design of the product. 

• 07-13-2008 9:18 AM In reply to

Beobird:

I still prefer my house "Apple free" Big Smile. Bought a Sony A829 instead of a Ipod, build my own design pc instead of a iMac, bought a nice Sony Ericsson w890i instead of the Iphone, go on go on....

Maybe you guys question why ? I just don't want to be somebody in the mass of millions of people that own the same stuff. It's just not funny to buy a new Apple gadget if all your friends have got the same. It's a bit like the furniture in the Ikea, it looks good but it's not that you can say: "YES THIS IS THE ***". Thats why I don't buy Apple and thats why I should wear Hugo Boss underwear instead of Bjorn Borg.

So because a lot of other people use the products, you choose to buy inferior products just to be different?  That's brilliant.  It's like the guy I know who ignored everyone's advice to get a Weber grill and got a Barbecues Galore instead.  It's nice and cost a lot of money but in the end he's the chump with the "other" grill.  Twice the cost and half as good.  Sometimes people jump on a bandwagon because i really is the best thing out there. You can buy an iPod/iPhone, or you can buy an inferior product.  That's really all there is to it.

BTW I use a w890i as my work cell phone and have an iPhone for personal use.  The 890 is a piece of junk in comparison to the iPhone. Not only that but instead of one well thought out device that does everything and continues to grow, you're carrying a phone and a music player.  Both of which are inferior to the iPhone.  Just to not join the herd.  Sorry, but that's the silliest thing I've heard all week.

• 07-13-2008 9:26 AM In reply to

beojeff:
    While Macs cost more than PCs and have a smaller market share in general, the market share becomes MUCH greater among the demographics of higher-income households. For those of us who buy B&O, the cost of a Mac is negligible when considering the elegance and design of the product. 

What?  Research is your friend http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9023959 

• 07-13-2008 9:33 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

You can create a much more elegance pc set if you combine the components self. For example the Neovo P, all alumium with a glas filter in front of it. Place it next to a Lian Li case with suburb hardware and you will be ready for the next 20 years...

• 07-13-2008 9:43 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

So because a lot of other people use the products, you choose to buy inferior products just to be different?  That's brilliant.  It's like the guy I know who ignored everyone's advice to get a Weber grill and got a Barbecues Galore instead.  It's nice and cost a lot of money but in the end he's the chump with the "other" grill.  Twice the cost and half as good.  Sometimes people jump on a bandwagon because i really is the best thing out there. You can buy an iPod/iPhone, or you can buy an inferior product.  That's really all there is to it.

BTW I use a w890i as my work cell phone and have an iPhone for personal use.  The 890 is a piece of junk in comparison to the iPhone. Not only that but instead of one well thought out device that does everything and continues to grow, you're carrying a phone and a music player.  Both of which are inferior to the iPhone.  Just to not join the herd.  Sorry, but that's the silliest thing I've heard all week.

Offcourse I've got plenty of things that millions of people have got too. It's just that Apple hasn't got products that steal my hart and I don't like mass hypes. They have good products, but I just prefer better ones. The point I wanted to make is that there are so many people that buy Apple because everybody has got one (like the underwear thing from Bjorn Borg), not that I would buy something else because everybody has got it. I really will buy something from Apple if they create something thats really good, but they just don't. It's again, like the Ikea. Good looking products with functionality for a good price (and believe me, there's really nothing wrong with it), but it's not the *** that plays with your hart and pleasures your inner when you enjoy the quality of sound or picture.

What you think of the 890 is personal, but in my opinion it looks more classy with his alumium look compared to the plastic Iphone ! btw, the part: "you carry a phone and a music player" makes me a bit laugh, the W series stand for WALKMAN (you should know that) Big Smile. I use my A829 with Shure  gear for music onroad, because the quality is just the best in portable audio world Smile. On normal days I use the walkman function on the 890, and I just don't need more.

• 07-13-2008 11:29 AM In reply to

Soundproof, I enjoyed reading your assessment of the iPhone and some other Apple products.  I agree with every point you make but also think the best is yet to come.  I have used Macs and PCs for many years but the recent changes at Apple have certainly raised the bar.

I am going to try to buy 2 3G iPhones tomorrow if the wait is not too long.  I am thinking of getting my iPhone in white which I think is more design compatible with B&O.  My wife wants black which she thinks is better for business.  In the meantime, I have upgraded my existing iPhone to 2.0 and have already downloaded about 10 apps.  So far, I have used the remote app the most.

I have mentioned this before.  The iPod, Apple TV, and iPhone related products not produced by Apple last year was a $1 billion USD business.  It will probably be double that this year.  Audiophile companies such as Bowers and Wilkins, Krell, and Wadia are producing products for the emerging iPod audiophile.  B&O could easily do iPod/iPhone compatible products.  It is ironic that Apple has B&O products in the Apple stores both online and the physical stores.  In the US where B&O is a relatively obscure brand, many people find out about B&O products for the first time at the Apple store. What was Torben thinking?

iPhone will not please everyone but it cannot be denied that its design and technology will influence many products and maybe society---think social networks!

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-13-2008 12:02 PM In reply to

I am convinced that there's a considerable overlap in preferences between the universes of Apple and Mac customers, and that the products of the two brands could create a very strong total performance.

The fact that B&O's speakers do not need conventional amplifiers says it all, really. B&O should create an audiomaster that converts digital signals from Macs - optical s/pdif or firewire/usb or HDMI - to signals that B&O's screens and speakers understand. Best of two worlds. 

• 07-13-2008 12:37 PM In reply to

Maybe it could be the Beocenter i5000 or i5?

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-13-2008 12:57 PM In reply to

• mason
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-08-2008
    • Posts 53
    • Bronze Member

I'm sorry to get personal – but the design of that stuff (Neovo/Lian Li) is tragic – whoever produced that has had a taste lobotomy (yes; I am a designer). Apple is beautiful – Ive's designs have a heritage dating right back to the elegant Dieter Rams Braun design of the 50's and 60's. They are a quantum leap from what everyone else – and they are inclusive which means in the current climate they will survive. Get an iPhone and you will never look back. B&O can survive - they don't need to compete with Apple – just ensure the integration is transparent, stick with producing beautiful TVs and Speakers. How is BS5 going to fare against this stuff. The mind boggles?

• 07-13-2008 1:25 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm still intrigued RE the new 5 system. Apple may have provided amazing under-the-skin technology and of course were the first to truly adopt multi-touch displays properly, but as far as music goes, this hasn't massively changed browsing music. I mean sure it's iTunes but even better, but nobody as yet has produced a media-center which will give you a 'BeoCenter 2-esque' kind of interaction. I hope the big Bang can incorporate Apple into their digital-media scheme correctly.

B&O + Apple = the perfect blend IMO

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 3 (60 items) 1 2 3 Next >