in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-15-2008 10:50 AM by 11048437. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-11-2008 10:59 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

BeoLab 8000 enquiry

Which is the best 'type' to buy of this speaker? I've decide to buy these so long as i know i'm making a good purchase. Are the newer ICE 8000's better in any way... or are the older 8000's weaker in any way? I appreciate any tips whatsoever

cheers

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-11-2008 11:02 AM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 8000 enquiry

ICE beolab 8000, i dont think that there is such a thing, Just the Class A/B ones. The MK2 just have more bass when the volume is lower. Guys correct me if im wrong.

Personally I like the BeoLab 3, before i get bitten over here, i think that for vocals, they sound nicer than the beolab 8000. But regardless, excellent speakers.

Listen to them in the shop, if youre going to buy them

• 07-11-2008 11:08 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Thanks! Maybe i was misinformed about the ICE power, but i have 4000's as mains at the moment which i do adore, but i just need (want) a little more range, depth and a better sound-stage, i'm afraid the BL3's may be too weak and messy at higher volumes with detailed and aggressive music and the ALT sound may just be to bright for my already small and bright room. I'm renting an upstairs flat, so BL9's are out of the question as i wouldn't be able to use them without the police being involved hehehe!

I know it sounds silly but i'm in a last minute hurry because i don't want to pay a 10% premium when the change comes on the 15th, eep!!

• 07-13-2008 1:35 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd say go for it! The 8000s are very good speakers (although very different from the BeoLab 3s evidently). The latest version is the best version, although the original ones are still perfectly fantastic speakers.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-13-2008 10:31 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I wish i knew what Beolab 1's sounded like! The second hand price is better than a new pair of 8000's and i'm sure they sound more realistic...

• 07-14-2008 5:51 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The high-end is similar to BeoLab 3s in some ways, except I find them to sound a little more metallic. When compared to the output of your BeoLab 4000s (which is exceptional for their size), you may find the bass a little less impressive. Still fantastic speakers though...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-14-2008 8:50 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Wow you've heard them? 

My goal is to own a pair and modify them! I have the cash, but just can't find any (apart from lifestyle av which i fear will cost me slightly too much after shipping here) Smile

The next best step would be to get 8000's from the dealer, but i don't think they will look and sound as good as the 1's 

• 07-14-2008 11:59 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Debateable! The 8000s produce a much larger sound for their size. BeoLab 1s are quite different from the normal 'B&O sound', many people often find their high-end a little too pronounced for their liking (I personally do as well), although there's nothing 'wrong' with this - it's just the kind of sound they're tailored to. Many studio monitors exhibit the same kind of characteristics.

BeoLab 9s are significantly better in all aspects IMO.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-14-2008 2:42 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Alex is spot on with his comments about the BeoLab 1's.  They have such a strong mid and top end it really shames them for their lack of bass to match. However, add a BeoLab 2 and you have a real thumping set-up!  The 1's tend to "shriek" at high volumes and become pretty uncomfortable to me, but at normal to medium loud volumes listening to vocal and acoustic music they are very strong.

I think you would have to have some experience of both together to agree with me on this, but sitting close to the BeoLab 3's makes them sound miles ahead of the 8000's. However, left alone in a large room, i would prefer the 8000's as they seem to fill a room with sound that little bit more. Not sure why this is, and remember each person hears differently.

As for the "bass-enhanced" - i personally think it's a bit gimmicky, as if you need more bass at low volumes.. err.. turn the bass up a notch?

I personally own a pair of BeoLab 9's, and i am so happy with them it's untrue!  They tick every single box for me, and the sound is amazing.

So, in conclusion - get some nice 8000's from around 2000/2001 (not too aged) in excellent condition and enjoy!  If you want to transform your listening experience at a later date, add a BeoLab 2.

Lee

Smile 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-14-2008 10:02 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I really really apreciate all of the insight Alex and Lee thankyou so much, that clears my mind a fair bit, i suppose there is a good reason BL1's weren't on sale for long. I don't want a 'non-B&O' like sound, i love the sound of the 4000's, their only down side is that they are what they are, they sound like a pair of speakers most of the time. I suspect i'd like the 8000's sound the most, but i guess i can compare them at the dealer as i've never given BL3 a real good go :)

Maybe i'll invest in some BL1's at a later point in time as a hobbie project - as i said, i'd have a ball doing that mod on a pair :)

• 07-14-2008 10:53 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Dave:

Thanks! Maybe i was misinformed about the ICE power, but i have 4000's as mains at the moment which i do adore, but i just need (want) a little more range, depth and a better sound-stage, i'm afraid the BL3's may be too weak and messy at higher volumes with detailed and aggressive music and the ALT sound may just be to bright for my already small and bright room. I'm renting an upstairs flat, so BL9's are out of the question as i wouldn't be able to use them without the police being involved hehehe!

I know it sounds silly but i'm in a last minute hurry because i don't want to pay a 10% premium when the change comes on the 15th, eep!!

You mention that you think the BL3 are too weak, and you are right if you want to play louder than your existing 4000´s (96db SPL) can play to day (The BL3´s can only play 94db at maximum mesaured from 1 meter SPL). (The BL8000´s = 99db SPL..)

But if you want a better quality sound from a small cabinet you go for the BL3´s. It´s a matter of taste.. I bought the BL8000´s because i liked the looks and have the  "easy-lounge-sound". Not hard or too bright in the high-end´s, and can fill out a room without any problems...

You hear the biggest difference at higher levels in the BL8000 MKII if you compare them to a MK I model... 

Notice: From January 2003, BeoLab 8000 was obtainable with new driver units giving extra bass at low levels. While not delivering as much as a BeoLab 2 (dedicated sub-woofer) the bass drivers with the newer BeoLab 8000 have a marked improvement over their predecessors. The upgrade involved new frequency equalization and improved ABL system. These improvements are mostly apparent at high volume levels. The changes are implemented form serial 16992475 onwards.

And if you want BL1´s i think your dealer can arrange that for you..Just give the store a call..

Regards 

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-14-2008 11:01 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Hi Dave,

I'm coming late to this party, but I have to get my 2p in.  

Over a long period of exposure to B&O's speakers, I had, in my mind, divided them into 2 families as far as over-all sound.  This discussion only involves speakers available before the BeoLab 5.  Let's not be silly.

Personally, I have always preferred a 'cleaner, crisper' sound.  For a long time the BeoLab 6000 was my favorite B&O speaker. Indeed I have a pair of the dark blue ones in my living room right now.  In comparing the Penta 3, the 8000, 6000 and 4000 I always felt that the 4000 sounded like a 'little Penta'; a bit on the warm side, if you will.  I also felt that the 8000 seemed a bit more shaded to the mid-range, although obviously related closely to the 6000.  When I heard the BeoLab 1, I felt that it was not a successor to the Penta so much as the 6000's Big Brother.  Personally, I can put up with the extended highs, and understand that they play a part in giving the impression of 'weaker bass'.  But that is the 'coloration' which I prefer.  I think that in a smaller space you could love the BL-1's.  But if you really are enamored with your 4000's, then the 1's will seem a bit bright.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 07-15-2008 3:09 AM In reply to

Ive got both the BL3 and BL8000 mk1. Personally, Im more impressed with the BL3, you get this wow factor since they are so small and produce so much bass/sounds. with the BL8K, you kind of 'Expect' it to be loud, so when it is loud, it doesnt '''''impress'''''' you as much as the bl3.

You got to hear them before you buy. I have a BV7-40, Ouverture amongst things, so its tempting for me to get the new bl8000 and a BL2, its what you see often being displayed in the catalogues and in stores, but the bl3 have this little something about them; they are different!

• 07-15-2008 9:35 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Such good advice, thanks! :) I'd get some penta's but the way they look makes me sick Unsure And the aesthetics of the BL3's irritate me a bit

I'm leaning towards 8000's with PV1

or

1's with the beotech modification that was demonstrated here a while ago

• 07-15-2008 9:42 AM In reply to

Why the PV1s? btw?
  • 07-15-2008 9:49 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I mainly enjoy music, and i didn't like the BL2 with music, but i'd get the PV1 because it's so musical and looks fitting with B&O equipment. This said, the sub is not a priority for me and the BL2 costs ALOT for a sub

• 07-15-2008 9:52 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:
    Why the PV1s? btw?

PV1 = B&W´s 500watt ICE powered subwoofer.. And are more detailed and rapid than the BL2...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1539&sc=ht 

BL8000 MkII Black

• 07-15-2008 10:25 AM In reply to

Beolab:

timhanna:
    Why the PV1s? btw?

PV1 = B&W´s 500watt ICE powered subwoofer.. And are more detailed and rapid than the BL2...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1539&sc=ht 

just sold my Beolab 2 and bought a PV1 for only 1000$. There is a big difference in sound. BL2---only boomy and not good with music but PV1 integrate perfect with my BL1 and BL4000( I have not tried with my BL3).  PV1 is km. ahead!

all sold!

• 07-15-2008 10:33 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Constantine, aren't you selling the 1's anymore? You haven't had them very long at all have ya!

How did you get a PV1 at that price?? 

• 07-15-2008 10:50 AM In reply to

Dave:

Constantine, aren't you selling the 1's anymore? You haven't had them very long at all have ya!

How did you get a PV1 at that price?? 

Yes Dave, I'm selling the 1' because of my wife. I want to buy BL5 and there is only a condition: sell the 1's. As I said, IMHO, BL1 is an extraordinary speaker and look better than BL5. If I had to choose, the only speakers that I'll have from B&O is BL1, BL3, BL5 and BL4000. Keep in mind that I had a lot of recent B&O speakers (also 3 pairs of Penta) and the ones that deserve attention are the ones I mentioned.

PV1 was bought used from a B&W dealer. Last year it was 2500$(TX incl) , now is 2000$(tx incl) in Canada. Bl2 is 4000$(tx incl) which is very expensive ( it has only 1 driver which is B&W if I'm not wrong).

Just my 2 cents,

Constantin

all sold!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)