in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-11-2008 9:22 AM by Dave. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-08-2008 12:22 PM

• krdale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-08-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

BeoLab 5 in Chrome?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a hold of or get the BeoLab 5 produced with chrome details in contrast to the standard model with the steel "plates"?

I have a friend with a woman in the house where everyting has to match, and this room is "chrome-room", no way the steel is welcome! :)

• 07-08-2008 12:29 PM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 5 in Chrome?

Just a note...I believe it's made of aluminium (as it's B&O) and not steel. Wink

Never heard anyone wanting it in chrome though. But anything is possible. Check with your local dealer, it may come with a price tag though.

• 07-08-2008 12:51 PM In reply to

It is possible to polish aluminium to a mirror-like finish. The end result will be slightly different in colour than chrome.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 07-08-2008 3:14 PM In reply to

By the way, it's possible to apply a layer of chrome to aluminium, but it's extremely difficult. Aluminium corrodes very quickly. Thoroughly cleaned and rinsed aluminium gets oxidized within one second.

To prevent this from happening you first need to apply a layer of nickel you'll need to put the aluminium object in a bath with a solution of sodium hydroxide and sodium-zincate. Now the aluminium-oxide dissolves and a layer of zinc (15-30 microns) is formed round the aluminium, which acts as protection against corrosion and fills any scratches in the seemingly smooth aluminium.

Now you'll have an object that behaves as if it is zinc. Unfortunately, you can't apply chrome to zinc. First you'll have to apply a layer of copper; otherwise the chrome will come off very easily. The process for applying copper uses a solution of cyanides which are highly toxic. Now you can apply a layer of chrome to it. The chrome itself is really just colouring, and no more than 0.5 microns thick.

The process as described is a simplification of the actual process, but my knowledge on the subject is not that good I'm afraid.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 07-08-2008 4:03 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

See!
    It's a piece of cake!
    Now, anybody got some BL5s I can practice on?

I must admit, I got better at it as I practised, I just recently silver-plated an Audi A8 for one of my mates

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-08-2008 9:25 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Polishing wouldn't be practical.  If you really wanted to, you could remove the aluminum sections and send them to a place that chromes automotive parts.  They'd be familiar with the process, and the speaker owner wouldn't have to worry about the details such as those beocool provided.  This would probably cost less than having B&O do a custom job on them.

Austin 

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 07-09-2008 6:23 AM In reply to

• krdale
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-08-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Thanks guys, i really appreciate all the input, i'll come back with any other questions and keep you updated on how this goes.

How difficult is it do disassemble the Beo lab 5, so that the alu "plates" can be modified? And does anyone know what it will mean if the thickness increase with a millimeter or two..? Which i guess would be the result if a its got chromed? Or would all the new layers be extremely thin..?

• 07-09-2008 7:29 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

There was a guy here on-site that was able to re-process the aluminium panels/speaker housings to a mirror-like finish. I forget his name but he may have produced some BL4000's for LEE as a demo - maybe LEE can help.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-09-2008 7:42 AM In reply to

krdale:

Thanks guys, i really appreciate all the input, i'll come back with any other questions and keep you updated on how this goes.

How difficult is it do disassemble the Beo lab 5, so that the alu "plates" can be modified? And does anyone know what it will mean if the thickness increase with a millimeter or two..? Which i guess would be the result if a its got chromed? Or would all the new layers be extremely thin..?

The new layers can be extremely thin (in total about 100 microns or 0.1 millimeters I guess) I'm not sure how the plates are attached, but even if the plates are 0.1 of a millimeter thicker on either side, reassembly can proof tricky, if not impossible. Polishing the aluminium, like Puncher suggested is in itself a good idea, but the colour of mirror finished aluminium differs from chrome. The chrome has a slightly more blueish colour. Not anyone can recognize the differences between mirror finished aluminium, mirror finished stainless steel or chrome plating, so maybe polishing might be the best option, after all.

• 07-09-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Puncher:
    There was a guy here on-site that was able to re-process the aluminium panels/speaker housings to a mirror-like finish. I forget his name but he may have produced some BL4000's for LEE as a demo - maybe LEE can help.

Andy is his name.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 07-09-2008 9:39 PM In reply to

I dont think it will be easy to change the aluminium disks on the BL5.
    First, the supplied disks are very thin alu. Second, they are bonded onto the main lens by a rubberised bonding agent. This is thick and tarry. The bonding agent is allowed to ooze into 6 - 8 circular groves on the inside of the lens before the alu disk is pressed on.
    Thus to replace the alu disk one is more than likely to damage the original (prising off against the glue) and would also need a serious effort removing the old bonding adhesive from the lens. Finally, new bonding adhesive would be required to eliminiate vibration between the new (coloured) alu disk and the lens.
    To see what I mean, there is a video on the B&O site (factory tour) which shows this. Also look at the X-ray pictures of the BL5 and see the concentric grooves in the lens.
    10%
  • 07-10-2008 4:42 AM In reply to

So the discs are bonded. Agree with 10% that this is nearly impossible....

• 07-10-2008 7:55 AM In reply to

Jandyt:

I must admit, I got better at it as I practised, I just recently silver-plated an Audi A8 for one of my mates

It's even more expensive than my car, as a wreck after an accident...Big Smile

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 07-10-2008 12:03 PM In reply to

• Ericvr6
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 205
    • Bronze Member

Jandyt:

See!
    It's a piece of cake!

what a nice job looks great

• 07-10-2008 2:50 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Ericvr6:
    Jandyt:

See!
    It's a piece of cake!

Och! It was nothing.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-10-2008 6:41 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Jandyt:
    Ericvr6:
    Jandyt:

See!
    It's a piece of cake!

Och! It was nothing.

Completely off topic - but did you know that jandyt was the model for Oor Wullie!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-11-2008 3:17 AM In reply to

Puncher:
    Jandyt:
    Ericvr6:
    Jandyt:

See!
    It's a piece of cake!

Och! It was nothing.

Completely off topic - but did you know that jandyt was the model for Oor Wullie!

Hmm So Andy is lying about his age, then?

• 07-11-2008 6:41 AM In reply to

My dealer dropped off some Lutro bits last night and also had the larger of the two ally discs from a Lab5 and wondered if it could be converted into an ash tray or something , somehow it got a ding in it and had to be replaced , it has the moulded plastic part attached . With great care it could be polished , you or whoever would have to take time and avoid any heat build up and the outer edge done by hand . Can't see any way of separating the ally from the plastic without destroying one or the other .
    Richard
  • 07-11-2008 9:22 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

It's easy, if B&o can't do it for you, then forget it and drape an acoustically transperant curtain infront of them - if you can't stand to look at them - ummm Unsure They're gorgeous creatures and i can not imagine them being a mismatch in any type of environment.

However, BL5's with chrome discs would look incredible. Hooly dooly, B&o should offer it as an option. Why oh why don't they offer any options with the BL5's? 

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)