in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-23-2008 4:05 PM by beobeo. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2008 9:18 AM

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Best replacement for two MMC20EN cartridges

Hello;

I recently purchased two Beograms, 4000 and 4004. I was unfortunate enough (eBay) to have both cartridges damaged (only one channel works) Sad. I made the continuity tests and the decks seem to be OK, therefore the need for replacing the cartridges.

Having discarded going back to eBay for the replacements (it's just too risky), I'm thinking of using the retyping service from Soundsmith:

http://www.sound-smith.com/retip/

For the Beogram 4004 I'm thinking of the aluminium cantilever option (same as the priginal MMC20EN). As per the 4000, I will probably go for the ruby cantilever with nude contact line diamond or perhaps even a new SMMC20CL:

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/boall.html

My question is if anybody has used or heard references on the retyping service from SoundsmithHmm? Will the retyped cartridge perform at a similar level of an original cartridge? I know SMMC cartridges are as good, if not better than MMC ones, however I have never came across a retyped one.

Also if anybody can comment on the shipment from the US to Europe, I've read stories of cartridges going back and forth through customs.

Any comment will be greatly appreciated.

Gustavo

• 07-01-2008 9:34 AM In reply to

• bwaje
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-22-2007
    • Paris - France
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

Re: Best replacement for two MMC20EN cartridges

Hola Gustavo, puedes tambien encontrar MMC20EN en eBay : MMC
    b&otien
  • 07-01-2008 9:58 AM In reply to

I think it comes down to what you are hoping to get out of having a cartridge rebuilt. The consensus seems to be that the soundsmith cartridges are at least as good as the originals,  and you cartridges you own already  have known faults.

If I have read the adverts correctly the retipping/rebuild service does not replace anything other than the diamond tip and the cantilever, the suspension, coils  etc. will still be at least 20 years old and prone to failure. Soundsmith used to offer a complete rebuild service but the link on the site appears not to work. From memory it costs more than their new cartridges.  

My advice would be to buy new Soundsmith cartridges. I am sure soundsmith themselves would be happy to advise but I am not at all sure that the stylus/cantilever is the problem on your current cartridges so the retyping process might not be of any value  to you.

Simon

• 07-01-2008 10:54 AM In reply to

• Ben
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2007
    • Taunton, UK
    • Posts 131
    • Silver Member

If you have a dead channel, then as far as I am aware, the cartridge is scrap.

And I also don't think Soundsmith retip B&O cartridges anymore, unless special arrangements have been made with them.

There is a company in Germany who offer a retipping service for B&O and other cartridges, but the name escapes me at the moment.

• 07-01-2008 12:14 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

bwaje:
    Hola Gustavo, puedes tambien encontrar MMC20EN en eBay : MMC

Thanks Bwaje, but it's just too risky to buy from eBay. My cartridges look very good but they don't do the job. There's no guarantee. Even if they work, the age is another isse, I may end up with another faulty cartridge in 6 months!

Gracias;

Gustavo

• 07-01-2008 12:16 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

wirralsimon:

I think it comes down to what you are hoping to get out of having a cartridge rebuilt. The consensus seems to be that the soundsmith cartridges are at least as good as the originals,  and you cartridges you own already  have known faults.

If I have read the adverts correctly the retipping/rebuild service does not replace anything other than the diamond tip and the cantilever, the suspension, coils  etc. will still be at least 20 years old and prone to failure. Soundsmith used to offer a complete rebuild service but the link on the site appears not to work. From memory it costs more than their new cartridges.  

My advice would be to buy new Soundsmith cartridges. I am sure soundsmith themselves would be happy to advise but I am not at all sure that the stylus/cantilever is the problem on your current cartridges so the retyping process might not be of any value  to you.

Simon

You are right. These cartridges are at the end of their useful life and I don't want to worry about them for a long while. So I may just buy a new one.

Gustavo

• 07-01-2008 12:20 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

If you are planning on keeping the Beograms then I would go with a Soundsmith replacement. They sound even better than the originals IMO.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-01-2008 12:21 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

ben12345:

If you have a dead channel, then as far as I am aware, the cartridge is scrap.

And I also don't think Soundsmith retip B&O cartridges anymore, unless special arrangements have been made with them.

There is a company in Germany who offer a retipping service for B&O and other cartridges, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks Ben. You are all right.

My problem is not only the stylus but the whole cartridge. What I will probably do is buy a new SMM20CL for the Beogram 4000 and an SMMC20EN for the BG4004..

Gustavo

• 07-02-2008 8:16 AM In reply to

At the moment I'm using a original low used MMC20EN on my just rebuild Beogram 6006. Also on hand is a nearly unused MMC20CL. With that I'm pretty biased as it's sounding good. I have yet to notice the tonal differences between them but they still work perfectly despite the age. The MMC20CL has 1981 stamps on the paperwork included.

I do recommend Soundsmith's cartridges. I had to get one for my Beogram 8002. It took 3 times in total back and forth US and Denmark because of customs wanting tax declarence on it. In the end they shipped it uninsured and glided through. It still sounds great and they know how do build them right.

As it is I've got plenty MMC types around like S,E, EN and CL. When needed I will get new ones from Soundsmith.

• 07-02-2008 10:07 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Thanks Friedmett;

I remember having read your story somewhere in the forum but couldn't recall exactly what happened. I'm writing a note to Soundsmith asking for details on the shipping. I'll ask them to send them without tax clearance to avoid the hassle you mention. Once I get them I'll try to paint them silver the way Peter did.Yes -  thumbs up

Regards;

Gustavo

• 07-23-2008 4:05 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Well, I did it again I bought a couple of cartridges from eBay, this time my luck changed though!Big Smile

I've got an outstanding MMC4000 from the excellent seller Roxieanum. Then, also from Roxieanum, a mint and absolutely stunning MMC20CL. My goodness, I couldn't believe my ears, this cartridge with my Beogram 4004 and Beomaster 4400 is simply delicious!

Gustavo

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)