in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-01-2008 5:59 PM by B&Ola. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2008 9:00 AM

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Mp3 player in Beogram CD4500

In another posting I asked for advice as to how to remove the CD mechanism from my trusty Beogram CD4500. With the welcome and helpful advice received I did just that. The reason was that as I never use the CD capability I had the idea of installing my Philips HDD120 mp3 into the 4500. I've had the Philips for a couple of years or so now and originally transferred all my CD collection on to it and since then have added downloaded tracks. It now holds around 2500 tracks and was placed next to my Beosystem. The finish of the Philips is a perfect match to the black & chrome of the B&O system.

I have now installed the Phillips in the CD4500 and here is a photo. The only downside was and still, is the fact that it is not controllable with my Beo4 which is an inconvenience. I was considering getting an iPOD classic and with a Ridax cable this would enable me to use my Beo4. I may move to this option and install this in the 4500. 

• 07-01-2008 9:22 AM In reply to

Re: Mp3 player in Beogram CD4500

Very nice - I have been thinking of doing something similar with the tape-compartment of a 9500. This is an inspiration!

• 07-01-2008 9:34 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:
    Very nice - I have been thinking of doing something similar with the tape-compartment of a 9500. This is an inspiration!

Have to confess, read your posting regarding the 9500 and thought mmmmmmm........I wonder!

Smile 

• 07-01-2008 12:40 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I going to put a spanner in the works and say that I don't like it. Why would an Mp3 player be put under a huge motorised lid? Surely the Cd4500 was worth more with the cd mech still in it? The point of an mp3 player is that its compact BUT of course if you love it thats the main thing and you must enjoy it!!, mine is just an opinion. I guess I don't like to see any B&O product broken up.

Durban South Africa

• 07-01-2008 12:51 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I agree with you, francoisvl. As I just restored a Beocord 3500 and can't stop enjoying it's quality and sound (think - cassettes, that vintage). On the other hand I do appreciate the work you have done but personally I can't tolerate killing working B&O's. Just my opinion though!

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 07-01-2008 2:07 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Mixed feelings on this one. Thank you for giving us a photo'.
    Nice neat job, and will be even better if you can make it Beo4 controlled (Ridax)
    I can see the point of view of the others though.
    Having said that, maybe your 4500 was goosed to start with. I have a Beocord 5000 that is goosed and would really suit an internal Mp3 player that would compliment my 7000 system. Better than chucking it in the skip, eh?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-01-2008 3:30 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Hi Andy,

just connect the ridax ipod docking station to the A.TAPE2 socket of your BM 7000 and you can control the ipod also from linkrooms, if you take the link-version. Works really great.

Stefan 

• 07-01-2008 4:39 PM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

francoisvl:
    I going to put a spanner in the works and say that I don't like it. Why would an Mp3 player be put under a huge motorised lid? Surely the Cd4500 was worth more with the cd mech still in it? The point of an mp3 player is that its compact BUT of course if you love it thats the main thing and you must enjoy it!!, mine is just an opinion. I guess I don't like to see any B&O product broken up.

Firstly, I can't do anything about "the huge motorised lid"!  Why put a CD player under a huge lid? I had no choice, that's the way it was built!!

Worth more - to whom? In cash terms perhaps yes, but only if I sold it, but what's the point in that? Replaced with what? And at what cost?

As for "The point of an mp3 player is that its compact", yes that's why it fits in the CD4500! I just wanted all my music in an attractive accessible unit which matched my Beomaster 4500.

Next, my 4500 as CD a player was redundant. I NEVER play CDs - it was just a piece of equipment to be looked at and never used. I am not the curator of a museum. I love the APPEARANCE of my set-up, but what's the use of anything if it's never used?

Before my installation, the MP3 player was just sat next to a never used piece of equipment. Now the CD 4500 has a life albeit cosmetic but that's all it really was before!

I don't consider it broken up, like I wouldn't think re-building a classic car with new electrics, engine etc to be "breaking it up".

In the end, I am not trying to sell this to anyone. If it's not for you, then OK. 

• 07-01-2008 5:59 PM In reply to

Or just put one of these in your tape unit: http://www.dansdata.com/dah220.htm
    /Ola 
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)