in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-29-2008 9:17 AM by Santiago. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-28-2008 3:43 PM

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Bredene near Ostend-Belgium
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

looking for a new DVD player

My Philips 3040 DVD (low cost) player is out of use finaly.

I would like to buy a new DVD player, and this time of better quality.

Any suggestions? I am a frequent watcher of DIVX movies, so it must recognise all formats and off course controlled by my DVD controller, so as the Philips has been.

Yes, I kown my spelling is horrible… Huh?

• 06-28-2008 4:26 PM In reply to

Re: looking for a new DVD player

Hi:

I would go for a Denon or Cambridge Audio. Don't know if youhave Cambridge Audio where you are.

Many people on here might say just buy a cheap one from Tesco. However, I bought a Wharfdale (not the right spelling and I don't think of any relation to the company that made semi-decent speakers in the 70s/80s) this was supposed to play Divx and multi region. However, it was very clunky, the mechanism was noisy and if you paused it for any length of time it would struggle to reboot the disc in the right place.

The solution that I find works best for me is running a phono cable from my graphics card TV out to my Beovision 1, then I can watch DVDs and stream content. A few months ago it was not worth it but since BBC Iplayer and Joost et al have got into their stride it is really worthwhile. If you don't want wires trailing around, get a video sender from Aldi for around £30. Better spending £30 on that than £30 on a DVD player.

Hope this helps in some way although it didn't really answer your question.

Graham

• 06-28-2008 5:00 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I spent £60 on a Philips DVD player from Dixons. Upscaling and all, and can play DivX movies off the built-in drive or from a USB key. Quick to respond too and produces a good picture.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-28-2008 5:22 PM In reply to

Alex:

I spent £60 on a Philips DVD player from Dixons. Upscaling and all, and can play DivX movies off the built-in drive or from a USB key. Quick to respond too and produces a good picture.

Hello Alex, 

Does it compatible with the B&O dvd-controller? If so, could you give us a link to the model?

Thanks 

Santiago

• 06-28-2008 6:39 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I am not sure - I shall find out though!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-29-2008 6:09 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Chris:

My Philips 3040 DVD (low cost) player is out of use finaly.

I would like to buy a new DVD player, and this time of better quality.

Any suggestions? I am a frequent watcher of DIVX movies, so it must recognise all formats and off course controlled by my DVD controller, so as the Philips has been.

I'm sure the Playstation 3 has DivX support. You could use it to play SD DVDs, Blu-ray DVDs, play PS3 games and as a media centre. Get yourself the PS3 Blu-ray remote control and it's the same as any DVD player.

• 06-29-2008 9:17 AM In reply to

Alex:

I am not sure - I shall find out though!

Thank you Alex,

But actually I'm interested in your Philips divx player only if I can control it with my "beo5 + dvd-controller mk2" combo.

Regards. 

Santiago

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)