in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-15-2007 2:45 PM by dilznik. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-09-2007 3:45 AM

Apple TV vs. Playstation 3 as Media center

I find Apple TV rather fancy but Playstation has some features that Apple TV hasn't.

So i ask, in your opinion who is the best companion of the BV7 ?

Please do share your experiences.

TIA.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 05-09-2007 7:25 AM In reply to

Re: Apple TV vs. Playstation 3 as Media center

I use both. The Apple TV is the only way to get the iTunes DRM content on my BV and I enjoy to watch the US TV series and the Movies (and of course to get a nice UI to control my Music). But I use as well the PS3 for Blueray Disc and to play few games.
    I would say buy both (but the AppleTV is the MediaCenter)
    Thomas
  • 05-09-2007 10:42 AM In reply to

SoundsGood:
    I use both. The Apple TV is the only way to get the iTunes DRM content on my BV and I enjoy to watch the US TV series and the Movies (and of course to get a nice UI to control my Music). But I use as well the PS3 for Blueray Disc and to play few games.
    I would say buy both (but the AppleTV is the MediaCenter)
    Thomas

Hi Thomas,

How did you connect your Apple TV to the BV7 ? DVI + RCA Cables ?

TIA. 

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 05-09-2007 12:38 PM In reply to

• Fulgore
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

Hi, 

I use the PS 3 as a BR Player and in my opinion it has a very good picture (but I´m not a pro in these things so maybe there are a lot of different opinions). But I do not think that the PS 3 would be a good media center! It´s an BR Player and a gaming console!

About the TV, I just wait for an update (bigger Harddrive, and real HD content), then I´ll buy it and use it as an media center.

Oh an important information, I use it on an Loewe TV, so I can´t say anything about the pic quality on a beovision, sorry.

Fulgore

• 05-09-2007 1:21 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Bear in mind that the Apple TV's HDD can be easily upgraded (although it voids your warranty), plus you can install your own software, codecs and 'Backrow' (as the software is called) extensions. It runs a stripped down version of OS X, and has the ability to run all the same software, without any hardware modifications I believe. As I said though, this all voids your warranty...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-09-2007 1:41 PM In reply to

I believe true HD quality downloads from any source are still some time away. It really is a matter of file size, bandwith, and downloading time. I too believe AppleTV is the media center.
  • 05-09-2007 6:39 PM In reply to

Hi Tia,
    yes ... DVI->HDMI connection for the Screen, RCA Cabels for Audio om my BV7/32.
    Thomas
  • 05-09-2007 8:30 PM In reply to

SoundsGood:
    Hi Tia,
    yes ... DVI->HDMI connection for the Screen, RCA Cabels for Audio om my BV7/32.
    Thomas

Exactly the same on my BV6 - works perfectly. 

• 05-10-2007 3:26 AM In reply to

Hi there Thomas,

Just to clear you out... TIA it's not my name.

When we use TIA it means Thanks In Advance (TIA), like HTH (Hope this helps); it's just a way to shorten up words.

HTH.

Pedro "Less is more"

• 05-10-2007 3:37 AM In reply to

I have to say that i'm more into Apple Tv rather PS3 just because i'll not use the majority of the features of the second one; i'll mainly use iTunes features, audio ones.

Most of the persons talk about the lack of quality of the movies in iTunes, this is due to the bad quality of the file movies that each user can but through the iTunes store; it simply isn't prepared for high definition, yet.

The hardware is quite good i might say and it suits most of the needs of the target audience of it; for me it lacks one important feature, connection to a NAS (Network Area Storage), since i'm going to put all my iTunes files in this device.

For a detailed Apple TV review, please do see the following link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_TV/4505-6739_7-32306442.html?tag=prod.txt.1#more

and of course, the link to the Playstation 3 review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PlayStation_3_60GB/4505-10109_7-31355103.html?tag=prod.txt.1

HTH. 

Pedro "Less is more"

• 05-10-2007 4:39 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Well, NAS seems to be possible, if you are into hacking the little box...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/10/how-to-play-divx-and-xvid-on-your-apple-tv/

I don't want to "itune" my computers, and since I got a Buffalo NAS, I might go for Apple TV for Media Access.

By the way, is there any fan in the box or is it silent?

Best regards

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 11-15-2007 9:28 AM In reply to

• barny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

This is very interesting to me as I am in the middle of a media upgrade around my house. Typical bloke... playing with toys!!!

I have my entire music, photos and now DVD collection on a 1TB NAS (QNAP) which works very fast over the LAN and also has built in wireless, Firewire 800 for super fast connection to my iMac. It also supports DLNA so the PS3 can see it as a media server.

However, before I go ahead and buy the PS3 I have been looking for real-life experiences. Do I buy?????

1.  PS3 (I don't play many games, or have any BlueRay, and all my DVD's are on NAS now)
    2. AppleTV (worries about restrictions on DVD playback... will it????)
    3. Ezfetch HD media player - Much cheaper option.... does just the basics

All this would connect to my BV7 and I am concerned about remote control/useability. Namely, will I be able to control the devices from my BEO4 remote? How will it work in reality?

My ideal solution would be to have a media server, that has built in HDD to ease video streaming, provide time-delay/TV recording and a built in DVB-T tuner..... that works over WiFi 802.11n or better!

If there is such a device.... tell me and I will buy it immediately.

Anyone offer me any help?

Barny

• 11-15-2007 9:34 AM In reply to

• barny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

"My ideal solution would be to have a media server...."

Obviously I meant media PLAYER..... !

Barny

• 11-15-2007 2:45 PM In reply to

I tossed my AppleTV in favor of a Mac Mini.  I can do everything from it, as well as surf.  I'm going to set up the DVDpedia software and just watch DVDs that way.  The Mini has unlimited storage (just keep plugging hard drives in) and is fanless like the AppleTV is.  The whole mess looks like this. http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3143/img1239pk1.jpg
    You'll have to cut and paste that link.  Thanks for the no Safari support.  Anyhoo...

That keyboard isn't usually there.  I was setting stuff up on the Mini.  Also the Apple TV is still in the shot but unplugged.  And I'm in the middle of recabling.  That little black box next to the Beoport (3rd shelf) is a fanless 500gb HD.  The silver one on the bottom shelf is, too.  But yeah... MacMini is way better than AppleTV.  And with Front Row it has the same menu structure as the AppleTV but you can also run DVDs in it.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)