in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-09-2007 12:40 PM by TWG. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-08-2007 6:23 PM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Improvements to the Site.

Well, after a long meeting with Van this afternoon, i can safely say that almost of all the suggestions made on ways to improve BeoWorld even further can be implemented!

I will list a few, and will list more as we fix them, so please don't be too concerned if an issue you raised has not yet been addressed. ALL comments were noted and discussed, from every forum post to every email or PM i have recieved. The list was almost 30 pages long..

Post amounts per thread - we have increased this from 15 posts per page, to 25 posts per page. Is everyone happy with this?

Access to Main Site Homepage from Forum - This is actually accessable by hitting the "Leave Forum" button at the top right hand side of the page.  We now understand this may not have been clear enough! - so we are going to rename the link "Main Site" or something similar.  We will also try and rename the Tab on the Gold/Yellow index bar "Forum Home" as opposed to "Home" - but this depends on the forums standard settings and wether we can access them.

Field that shows who started a thread - After checking numerous other Community Server websites, it does not appear to be a standard function/setting in the software. However, Van is checking this out, and if it can be added - it will.

Notification of PM's - This can be done by yourselves, and an FAQ will follow. However, in addition to this, Van is looking at a number icon next to the word "Inbox" at the top of the page. So, for example if you have 3 unread messages, it will say " Inbox (3) "...  This may require additional updates and/or software - but we are looking into it.

Moderation of Posts - There have been cases of innocent looking posts being set for moderator approval due to the spam or bad word filters being a little "too keen".  We will be reviewing this, but anti-spam is a big issue and we do not wish to give them an inch!  Has anyone noticed we have not had one single occurrence of spam or bad links??!!  That's the filters doing their job!

Access to BeoWorld on PDA/Mobile Phones - The main site was built by Firebrand, and was designed to work on these applications. However, Community Server may not have been - and problems have been reported.  We are looking into this, as the new version of CS may have this inbuilt. We will inform as soon as we know anything.

Time Settings - Some may have noticed that the times of posts when looking at the homepage is all wrong.  This is due to the server for the main site being in the UK, and the Forum Server being in the US.  As the Forum 'imports' the info into the Main Site, they are having a 'behind closed doors' argument about exactly what time it is in their little computer-land, as they are both in different time zones. Van and i tried to figure this out, but we thought it best left to the programmers.. It is being dealt with.

Product Browse Section - Although we think the search a product facility is excellent, we are going to tweak the product search section and make it filter a little more strictly. For instance, if you specify "Beolab 3" and hit search, it comes up with all products with 'Beolab' and '3' in the title..  We will look at this and also list the products in column form as has been requested.  This then gives you THREE different ways to find a product. If you can't find it after that, power down your computer and give up! LOL

Google Web-Search - Some sites have this facility under the 'Search' option to search the site, or search the web, and you can choose which you would like.  This functionality is provided by Google, and we plan to add it to the site in the near future.

Forum is slow.. -  We checked out the website of Community Server itself, plus several others, and BeoWorld was actually the fastest to load and use at the time!  It will be slower as there are far more layers and applications running behind the scenes, and this inevitably slows it down. We are currently enquiring wether there is anything we can do to speed it up though, and will do whatever we can to make sure BeoWorld will be as fast as technology will allow.

Getting back to Homepage - Whilst on the main section of the site, just click on the BeoWorld Logo to return to the homepage at any time.  As for the Forum, we are looking at the possibilty of having a click link at the bottom of every thread page to return you to the main forum index section. We cannot find it in the settings, but it could be custom written (at a cost).

Smileys - Some members have said they take an eternity to load, so we will be stripping out some of the never-used, or lesser used ones. This ought to speed things up.  They are a one-click and gone application though, so if you need multiple smileys you will need to keep opening the box.  However, less smileys will make this faster.

Photo Section - We will be opening this up for registered users to upload as they wish.  However, each member will have a photo limit and/or disk space limit.  This is to stop members uploading colossal files and clogging up space on the server.  Each photo will have a perfectly acceptable allowance, and we are thinking between 15-30 images per user, possibly with Gold and Silver Members recieving more disk space as they are the ones actually paying (in part) for the server! Fair's fair..

Text too Small - The text on BeoWorld is actually of a standard size. It is your own computer that controls it. For larger text, you need to alter the settings on your machine.

Page too narrow - On some of todays 'ultra widescreen' monitors, the page can sometimes appear extremely narrow, and is being wasted. However, on a 4:3 monitor it fits perfectly. There are standard page sizes, (see the B&O main site which is very similar to BeoWorlds) and what are called 'Fluid' pages. A fluid page will fill any size screen, but in the case of BeoWorld this would completely mess up the templates in place and make the pages look a complete mess. We will be staying as we are for now, certainly until all the old style monitors and laptops are in the bin!

Topic Listings - It was mentioned that when you hit say "General Forum" and the list of topics is displayed, the only thing that caught your eye was the times of the posts as they were in bold. We are looking to change the Topic Headings to Bold, and hopefully they will be more legible.

Jumbled years on Price Lists - We will add to the Database Content Management Software and alphabetical and numeric sorter, which will correct this!

Double Spacing when you hit Return - This will be looked at, and single return will be implemented if possible.

As i said, there are other issues which are in hand, and the ones not mentioned here will appear in FAQ's linked to threads which will follow - i promise!

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-08-2007 6:53 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Improvements to the Site.

Thanks Lee. Sounds like you had a really brain scrambling day!
    The work that you, Van and any others involved have put in is much appreciated.
    Keep up the good work, mate. See you soon.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-08-2007 6:54 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

good work, Lee! Keep on beoworlding!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-08-2007 7:13 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

jandyt:

Thanks Lee. Sounds like you had a really brain scrambling day!
    The work that you, Van and any others involved have put in is much appreciated.
    Keep up the good work, mate. See you soon.

Andy T.

Cheers Andy! Smile

As i have said before, i really take my responsibilty of making the site as perfect as possible very seriously.  It has been, and always will be, my aim to make BeoWorld the best.

Obviously you cannot please everyone, as we are all individual, but i will always listen to anybodys ideas for improvement and do my best to please as many people as i can. BeoWorld exists for its members, and i will never forget that!

That sounded a little bit like a speech, but i assure you it wasn't.. Hmm

Lee

• 05-09-2007 1:53 AM In reply to

Well done Lee and Van. And all seems to have done whilst I was asleep! Laughing Congratulations on the tweaks already done.
  • 05-09-2007 2:32 AM In reply to

Thanks Lee for your willing to improve constantly this great website.

And also for this hard work too.

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 05-09-2007 4:21 AM In reply to

Any chance we can have an Apple / Mac / ıPod /Airport site?

I would really like it if anyone wrote anything in a threat containing these words in the General Forum, that it would be automatically moved and filed to their own forum (God knows how many there are on the web) and not clutter up this forum.

Us purists (I think there may be one or two of us out there somewhere), have a huge difficulty trying to read through this forum trying to find one or two topics on Bang & Olufsen (you know...that quaint esoterical hi-fi manufacturer that borrows all it's ideas from that company Mr Jobs gets backdated share options from).

Thank you for your consideration.

10%

• 05-09-2007 6:15 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

There is actually a Beo-Mac Forum on here, and also a Beo-PC forum...

I use both machines, so you can't accuse me of bias! Laughing

However, i will say in defence of Mac users, that when something just "works" and is a pleasure to use then you cannot help but to tell people about it.  What do you think BeoWorld is all about !!

However, i can see that it must get a little tiring if people constantly repeat the same thing time and time again, as this was how i felt before i got a Mac.

As i said, i use both, so don't flame me!!! 

Lee

• 05-09-2007 7:43 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Does anyone have any comments by the way?

Lee

• 05-09-2007 9:49 AM In reply to

With regards to

Double Spacing when you hit Return - This will be looked at, and single return will be implemented if possible.

This should be easy because the forum uses HTML and by default it uses <p></p> at the start and end of each line.

However if you just us <br> at the end of each line it provides a single line.

By pressing the HTML button, you can change yourself.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 05-09-2007 10:12 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

9 LEE:
    Does anyone have any comments by the way?

Lee

looks good :) Is it btw possible to make the photosection the same as in the old Beoworld ? 

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 05-09-2007 10:16 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

We will try, but please bear in mind this isn't the old BeoWorld !! It's a different site with a completely different layout and format.

Its rather like trying to Make your new Mercedes look like your old BMW.. Indifferent

Lee

• 05-09-2007 11:00 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Lee. I know you have six million things to do and that you need to prioritise, but the tweak I'm looking forward to most is new posts. Being able to go to the oldest unread post and not the newest. I'm getting RSI in my scrolling finger! Hope this is high on your list.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-09-2007 11:11 AM In reply to

Andy,

Surely you already have that option under "Sort Posts" at the top of the posts.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

• 05-09-2007 11:22 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

No 'sort posts' doesn't achieve what he means. He would like to click on a thread that he has previously visited and be automatically taken to the first post added since his last visit - just like the old forum used to.

Bit like trying to explain the offside rule isn't it!!Indifferent (for the benefit of our USA members, that's a rule in soccer)

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 05-09-2007 11:32 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Laughing

Keith, While I was pondering how to respond to your post,Stonk beat me to it! However he got one crucial word wrong.
    Stonk said "and be automatically taken to the newest post he hasn't already read" Whereas I'd like to be automatically taken to the oldest post I haven't already read!

ConfusedConfused

BTW Stonk, Nice nostrills!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-09-2007 11:34 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

Ha! I noticed that and corrected it - our posts clashed.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 05-09-2007 12:33 PM In reply to

Its probably been brought up already so I apologise, but I miss the link back to a forum menu at the bottom of a post!

• 05-09-2007 12:40 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

HI,

a nice option would be BLACK text except the light blue one on the main forums site. It's to hard to read for those 30J old men like me ;-)

Thomas

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)