in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-18-2008 11:27 AM by operaman. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-17-2008 11:03 AM

Bringing a Beogram 1202 back to life

Anyone have tips for bringing a BEOGRAM 1202 back to life?

It was FREE and it's in great shape - see pics - but has motor problems. If you can suggest anything I'd be appreciative. The motor heats up but doesn't move the pulley / idler. The tonearm automatic action works if I move the platter myself.

(It also needs a new belt and, and if I can make the motor go, I'll then get the stylus rebuilt, but that's all just a simple matter of cash.)

Anyway, please help! I'm all ears!

Thanks
    Jordan in New York City

• 06-17-2008 11:13 AM In reply to

Re: Bringing a Beogram 1202 back to life

The motor will need stripping down and rebuilding. Alternatively, get a donor unit. Tim Jarman in the UK does a good job on these motors but I am sure there will be someone in the US. The old 3000 uses the same motor.

• 06-17-2008 11:24 AM In reply to

@ peter:

could you confirm for me which "old" 3000 -the late 60's unhinged or early 70's hinged?

i have a spare 5231 (i believe - will have to chk tonight).

if it is that, i could provide the motor to the op if he needs one -of course after i confirm that is ok and worth sending! ;-)
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 06-17-2008 11:30 AM In reply to

The early seventies hinged! Never heard of the others being called unhinged before! Laughing The 5231 has the same motor. The 3000 and 1202 are very similar but the 3000 is actually the one to have. Better platter (if not so pretty!) and the hinged lid. They share a service manual - there are differences though.
  • 06-17-2008 11:37 AM In reply to

thx peter!

lol - i couldn't think of a better term -as the numbers can be quite confusing...

well, i have the platter and a nos sp still sealed in the package as well!

@ operaman: let me know what your intentions are... i am in the states and will be happy to help, if you decide to go this route!

btw, welcome to beoworld!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 06-17-2008 12:04 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Peter :

The motor will need stripping down and rebuilding.

I found it quite easy to strip clean and rebuild the motor on a Beogram 1203. Worth doing as the one I had worked perfectly after.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-17-2008 12:04 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Sorry, double post.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-17-2008 9:44 PM In reply to

Hi All

First let me say I'm truly touched that you would be willing to help. I always admired these products and never could own one - I have very limited cash, being not a lottery winner and living in New York City! I came into this one on Craigslist from a guy who said he'd give it to anyone who might like to take a crack at making it work.

First let me say that I"m not particularly equipped to service this item. I'm handy, but not experienced with electronics or audio restoration. That being said, I can carefully and thoughtfully do this if I have the right parts (I think!).

First, I could really use a manual for the BG1202 because I don't really even know how it works yet. How would one make the platter spin normally? If I plug it in, and set the selector pot on "MANUAL OFF" does that mean the automatic tonearm placement is disabled and ... how does the platter turn? When I hover the tonearm manually over the platter?

Maybe the problem is not the motor but rather the connection between the tonearm and the motor?

So yes I'll definitely replace the motor if it seems the route to go. I'll also be in the market for a needle (though someone on Audio Karma said they might have one for me if I can make this *** spin)!

Thanks and please keep the advice coming> I hope I haven't disappointed you with my lack of knowhow! 

Cheers

Operaman 

• 06-17-2008 9:48 PM In reply to

PS what is the meaning of "Strip Down" a motor? 

also, Burantek ---

REALLY NICE OFFER THANKS! I'm not sure from folks' posts whether yours is the one that can help me. Do you know? What do you want for it?

• 06-17-2008 10:49 PM In reply to

OK Another update! 

The motor and pulley are not in a stable position. They seem to move around inside the unit. But when I pull it back to the side, the motor is clearly working! VERY slow, but it's trying to spin! The motor underneath the unit gets really hot. It's stalling so I don't want to push it and do more harm. 

Does this mean it needs to be pulled out and cleaned? If so, I'd appreciate some advice on how.

I feel closer every moment.
    Thanks!
    Jordan  
  • 06-18-2008 9:45 AM In reply to

Craig:
    Peter :

The motor will need stripping down and rebuilding.

I found it quite easy to strip clean and rebuild the motor on a Beogram 1203. Worth doing as the one I had worked perfectly after.

CraigSmile

If you can give me a detailed description of what you did, that would be fabulous. I am probably going to try it. There's also a licensed B and O guy here in NYC that could do it for me, for a price of course 

• 06-18-2008 10:04 AM In reply to

jordan,

1.) stability: the motor and pulley should be "loose" and move around (within reason). that allows for the manual speed adjustment accessed by the coin-edged wheel on the left hand side -once the platter is belted.

2.) the motor does not look very complicated. i will recuse to those on here that have actually performed the cleaning, but i think you could probably handle it. i would certainly try your hand at it!

3.) if all else fails... the motor i have is indeed the correct one. if you decide you need it, just let me know, and i can look into pulling it from my spare -and, of course, only if it is problem free.

have fun and keep us posted!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 06-18-2008 10:40 AM In reply to

hey! thanks for the tips!

What I noticed about the motor is that the wheel with the black rubber edge does not seem to touch the motor spindle. Why not? I recognize it should be loose enough to move when I change the speeds on the speed adjust dial - it actually gear-shifts and moves up and down locking into place... all good signs! but isn't the contact of the rubber to the main motor axle/spindle thingy what makes it go round and round?

The motor seems to be stable and locked into its correct place, which is why I am confused as to the lack of contact between rubber edged wheel and spindle/axle thingy.

(feel free to correct my jargon here!)

• 06-18-2008 10:59 AM In reply to

jordan,

i hate to blindly comment on the correct engagement w/ what sounds like the idler wheel???

i will fire up my 3000's tonight and take a look before commenting further.

of course, someone else will likely be along to help soon as well.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-18-2008 11:03 AM In reply to

indeed! the idler wheel. it is in good shape - ie; rubber not worn out. Should it touch the spindle (term?) or no?

the "spindle" moves very slow and with difficulty, if I try to do it manually. so does this indicate it needs a "strip"?

occurs to me I know such little about motors that I could use a basic diagram of TT motors and explanation of how they work before I proceed.

I almost started a conversation about this with an elevator repairman i saw on the subway today. I'm obsessed! :)

cheers mates

• 06-18-2008 11:12 AM In reply to

off topic...

looks like another one has been bitten by the "bug."

now, you'll have to start on your quest for a beomaster, a beocord, beovox(es), etc...!!!

i would make a suggestion, as it sounds like this tt is something that has absorbed you...
    you might want to consider upgrading your membership to at least the silver level -thereby gaining access to the manuals section of the site (they have the user guide and manual for the 1202) -if you were lucky enough to find the same on say ebay -they would likely set you back more than the membership here!

in the meantime, enjoy! and i think i can say: that we all look forward to you getting your tt running.
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 06-18-2008 11:20 AM In reply to

yes, well, it would be great to get the thing up and running but mostly because it's so pretty that to throw it out is a shame, and so it letting it sit unused. I like B and O stuff but the last think I need is to start collecting! :)

I'll consider joining at silver level, but I need to see about the value of that first. thanks for the tip. Are you a moderator/admin here?

• 06-18-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

no, not a mod/admin...

just one of the bitten mass!

re joining: of course that is your decision. hang around and see what you think... i bet you'll end up w/ beomaster before this is all over!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 06-18-2008 11:27 AM In reply to

well I certainly don't want to "mooch", but also dont want to pay 30 bucks and find out that nobody is interested in helping me... after all this is my one and only B and O device I own.

would still appreciate in the meantime if you'd look at your BEOGRAM  motor and tell me how it should go.. will be yer best friend ;)

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)