in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-18-2008 8:21 AM by Russ. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-17-2008 7:12 AM

Full HD and my Beovision 5

Hi all, some advice please. When I left the UK to come over to Melbourne I brought with me a new B&O System - Bought in Sep 2005 - A set of Lab 5s, A set of Lab 3s, a BS9000 and a BV 5. My DVD was a Panasonic A360 which was a B&O recommended model to work with their DVD Controller. So far the system has been absolutely reliable and I have had three years worth of bliss !!. 

The DVD Player is now faulty. Do I go for a new Blue Ray panasonic DVD player ? If so, is there any advantage in terms of higher definition viewing on my BV 5?.  Will I notice ?

I am fairly sure that mine was not the HD ready panels that shipped about 6 months after I bought mine. Any comments much appreciated. If the panasonic blue ray is an option will it play only blue ray disks or would it play all DVDs ? and what is the resolution spec of my 2005 BV5 ?

Thanks

Peter

• 06-17-2008 7:41 AM In reply to

Re: Full HD and my Beovision 5

I think that you will notice a small difference, however, the real issue will be the connection logic. The BeoVision 5, as a BeoSystem 1 variant, uses the RGB input for STB as opposed to allowing it to be assigned to another port. You will be able to connect your STB to V.AUX, though, and you should be just fine. Most of us with BeoSystem 1s, Avants, BeoVision 5s, I believe are dealing with this with Apple TV, so it's fairly common.

It's especially nice with a Beo 5 since you can name the buttons whatever you'd like! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-17-2008 7:58 AM In reply to

Thanks Tripenglish for the prompt respnse. I am afraid just about everything ou said went way over my head.....

Are you saying that I now have to connect my foxtel settop box to a different port (I have one more scart left on the back of the BV5) ?. The new intended blue ray player is currently connected via COA to the BV5. ?? and of course I completely missed the point re: apple TV - are you sasying - get apple TV instead of a blue ray player ?? and where / which prot will his be connected to ?? 

• 06-17-2008 10:35 AM In reply to

Sorry Peter, 

The reference to the AppleTV was simply to make the point that many users of BeoVision 5s, Avants, and BeoSystem 1s are having to make the decision as to how to use the one "HD" input available. Since this single "HD" video input is attached to the STB input (whether you're using it or not), it means that most users will have to move their STB to another input (like your empty scart input) and have to press a button other than TV to watch tv, while pressing TV to watch a DVD. That is what I meant by the logic being different.

This is, of course, no reason not to upgrade to a Blu-Ray player, but something technical to be mindful of when making the transition.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-17-2008 6:25 PM In reply to

Thanks Trip..I understand. I do have a pretty decent dealership in my suburb so will make sure `i seek their advice and will mention your points to them.

I was looking at my BV5 last night and decided to turn down some of the picture settings. On the principle that less is more I turned down "brilliance to about 32 it was about the 40 mark, Contrast to about 35 and colour to 32. The picture is truly exceptional. This is compared to a full HD Panasonic Viera which my brother bought over the weekend. I see little reason to upgrade at the moment other than replace my outgoing DVD player with a decent panasonic (so it still works with my DVD Controller) DTS capable model.

I am seriously considering moving the BV 5 at some stage to the bedroom (IN Australia the rooms are huge, mine is 33 feet by 18 feet !) and then getting a BS3 with either a panasonic 50" full HD (BV 4 65" is astronomical) above the fire place (professionally installed) and then for movie nights hook up the BS 3 to a motorised ceiling recessed drop down stewart screen with a compatible 1080p projector. May have to sell one of my other toys (the car probably) to do this 

Peter 

• 06-17-2008 7:35 PM In reply to

Peter, 

I think that your level of satisfaction with your BeoVision 5 is great! I think it can also be instructive to some other members who are either mulling over a new B&O video purchase or trying to justify our pricing. When you include high quality components, high quality materials & finishing, and great features, you get a product that becomes part of the family and rises above the tempest of the marketplace.

I can't imagine anyone being so excited by their 4 or 5 year old Pioneer Elite, no matter how "competitive" it seemed at the time. I remember selling the BeoVision 5s from the 480p version to the 720p version and the sturm und drang over its "un-competitive" specifications as some weary customers overlooked the extraordinary value in the onboard picture processing system, surround sound processor, phenomenal speaker system, and Moma-ready cabinet design.

Hopefully a lesson learned!  

• 06-18-2008 8:04 AM In reply to

Trip, Well said and its nice to see in you a true ambassador of B&O with a combination of good technical knowledge and a genuinely helpful but balanced perspective.

Thanks

Peter 

• 06-18-2008 8:11 AM In reply to

Also, I guess, any customers you had will have been lucky / fortunate to have you as a well informed dealer. Most I went to (considering in one transaction I bought the entire range (BL5s, Lab 3s, BS 9000, BV5, A9 key ring, BS2, motorised stands etc) were next to useless. Attitudes ranged from "doing me a favour and condescending to speak with me) to one trying to palm off some "caged" products to me for such a big discount that Iwas rightfully instantly suspicious !. 

Dennis Carr of B&O Canary Wharf was both a gentleman and I wish I had bought from him. Unfortunately I did go for the 17.5 discount I got from Cambridge. The transaction turned out to be a nightmare and B&O UK stepped in to the rescue. 

Cest la vie. I now have a great dealer (The oldest establishment in Melbourne). Testamount to their integrity, they refused to sell me a DVD2 !!

Peter 

• 06-18-2008 8:21 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

peterjacobs:

Trip, Well said and its nice to see in you a true ambassador of B&O with a combination of good technical knowledge and a genuinely helpful but balanced perspective.

Thanks

Peter 

Peter, Has Trip slipped you a little something under the table...Oh, wait...just read your next post.

Devil

Russ 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)