in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-16-2008 2:23 PM by mfishmike. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-15-2008 8:29 PM

• mfishmike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-14-2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

Green resistor with only number 39R 5%?

I'm replacing all 4 of the 63v capacitors on the crossovers during my rebuild of the Redline 60 model #6503 to the Solen 400v metallized polypropylene ones.. 

I have all of the values of the 4 capacitors, but the green resistor is only labeled 39R 5%.  Can anyone tell me what the value of this resistor is, or do you have a schematic you could send me? 

I'm also curious about the ratings of the three inductors on the board, two air core and one steel wound.  Any idea what the mh rating and gauge of the wire of these are?  There is also another inductor, plastic wound mounted to the chasis that services the lower driver. 

Any information would be appreciated.

I'm making a permanent modification of the foam ABR's which have failed too, so I should have a first class pair of 60's when I'm done.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.SpeakerHobby.com
  • 06-16-2008 3:43 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Green resistor with only number 39R 5%?

Resistor is 39 Ohms (3 Watt)

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-16-2008 5:56 AM In reply to

Mike,

There is in fact 4 inductors in total:-

• L1 is 6.8mH (Milli Henry)
    • L2 is 1 mH
    • L3 is 0.33 mH
    • L4 is 0.33 MH

If you upgrade your membership to Silver or Gold you will find the Service Manual for all the variations of these speakers.

Regards Keith....

• 06-16-2008 7:36 AM In reply to

• mfishmike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-14-2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Keith.....

This pair is the only B & O product I have so I was trying to keep from having to purchase another membership.  I was hoping kind folks like yourself would help with my question.

I'm surprised the engineers used 63 volt in the first place for the caps, and am curious why they used three types of inductors.  I may go to all Jantzen air coil, 18 gauge, to reduce DC resistance for a complete upgrade to the crossover.  The cabinet is tight, so I may be restricted with space.

Again, many thanks for your help.  My new website will be up by the end of the week with the conversion from the ABR's posted.  I think it's going to work fine.  Look for it at the end of the week as I'm waiting on my webhosting company to get permissions to transfer the domain name and notify me so I can upload my new site:  www.speakerhobby.com.  My new passives should be in tomorrow and so It will take a couple of days to complete it and test it.  I'm going to test my conversion before I rebuild the crossovers.  I want to make sure the new box tuning frequency and sound will be acceptable.

Thanks again Keith,

Mike Cason

• 06-16-2008 7:40 AM In reply to

• mfishmike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-14-2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Puncher,

I'm not used to seeing a resistor marked that way....I'll probably step up to a Mills 12 watt.  I've been happy with their products.

Best regards,

Mike

• 06-16-2008 7:46 AM In reply to

Mike,

Normally resistors are marked like 39R when they have a wattage over one, below they use the normal coded bands.

With regards to the capactors, the original parts list actually shows them as 25 volt

Regards Keith....

• 06-16-2008 8:09 AM In reply to

• mfishmike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-14-2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

Hey Keith,

I don't have any coded bands on my green resistors, so that is what threw me.?.......I thought the 39R was just a private product code or number, not a resistance value. 

If the parts list shows the caps as being 25 volt, someone must have realized this is way underrated so they went to the 63 volt, which are in mine.  If I would have upgraded my membership and downloaded this information, I may have been thrown way off.. (chuckle)

I bought a second pair of the RL60's for spare drivers and as soon as I opened one of them up, I could smell the burnt caps, also rated at 63 volt.  With a rms of 60 and 90 watt peak music, IMHO a minimum of 100 watt or better is preferred.  I've been happy with the Solen caps I put in my crossovers for my mains and center speaker and they have held up fine.  They are rated at 400volt.  I'm using a high end Rotel receiver/amp and push the mains pretty hard in two channel for music DVDs.

BTW....do you agree with Puncher that the resistor is 39 ohms?  I'm sure he's correct, but it's always nice  to have a second opinion.....:)

Thank you again,

Mike

• 06-16-2008 12:34 PM In reply to

• jens m
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • munich, germany
    • Posts 53
    • Bronze Member

puncher is of course absolutly right.

39R means resistor with 39ohm

3R9 would mean 3,9ohm

39K would mean 39000ohm

3K9 would mean 3900ohm

and so on

jens 

• 06-16-2008 1:24 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

jens m:

puncher is of course absolutly right.

39R means resistor with 39ohm

3R9 would mean 3,9ohm

39K would mean 39000ohm

3K9 would mean 3900ohm

and so on

jens 

Of course he is WinkBig Smile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-16-2008 2:23 PM In reply to

• mfishmike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-14-2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Posts 27
    • Bronze Member

Re: Puncher....

You are a riot!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really appreciate you guys....  Smile

I got my new passive radiators in today.  I'm going to install them, put the cabinets back together, and if I like what I hear, I'm going to order my 10 and 30 ohm Mills 12 watt resistors and the Solen caps and replace them.  I'll have to series wire the Mills to get 40 ohms, but that's a bit more tweet protection..... I think I'm going to love my ABR conversion and if they work well, I hope some of the posters can benefit from my new idea and efforts.

Thanks again,

Mike Cason

btw.....the European resistor numbering system is different from ours.  Yours of course is the right way, hugh?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)