in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-20-2008 2:07 PM by haa05. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-15-2008 6:05 AM

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Unwanted side effect with AppleTV on Avant S-VHS

Dear all,

I've connected AppleTV through the S-Video AppleTV Converter to my old (VHS, no Flat) but beloved Avant. I use the S-VHS video input.

But now I've the side effect that when I switch on TV or any other source the Avant recognizes that something (camera) is connected to the S-VHS input and I've to choose the source again on BEO4 to activate that source.

Does anybody know whether this behavior can be changed?

Beside that AppleTV works great together with the Avant Smile.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers, Arno

• 06-16-2008 10:42 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Re: Unwanted side effect with AppleTV on Avant S-VHS

Arno,

no idea about the settings, but another question: what resolution did you set apple tv to (or does it have a fixed resolution)?

I want to try to use a mac mini with a BV 3-32 and still have no opinion about the picture quality.

Thanks!

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 06-16-2008 6:48 PM In reply to

Which s-video input are you using? If you're using the "camera" input at the top of the Avant, the Avant will always switch to the "camera" input if it detects a video signal. Since the Apple TV is always actively sending out a video signal, the "camera" input is not a good choice. Does that help?
  • 06-17-2008 4:08 AM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

Hi Ralf,

I use 576i with AppleTV.

Cheers, Arno

• 06-17-2008 4:17 AM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

beojeff:
    Which s-video input are you using? If you're using the "camera" input at the top of the Avant, the Avant will always switch to the "camera" input if it detects a video signal. Since the Apple TV is always actively sending out a video signal, the "camera" input is not a good choice. Does that help?

Hi beojeff,

yes I'm using s-video input at the top of the Avant. That's exactly the problem I have. As far as I know I'm not the first one who is connecting AppleTV to an Avant. I've had the hope that someone has a hint how to change this behavior. Unfortunately no other input I can use with AppleTV except the Composite input. But I guess we the same effect.

Thanks!

Arno

• 06-17-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Just some more ideas... 

Is your decoder scart available on your Avant? In this case, you can use a scart adapter (cheap) to link the ATV using composite. I personally use this.

If the decoder port is not available, you could link the ATV to one of the VTape peripherals (for example HDR1, using Svideo or RGB) and watch/command the ATV through this device (there is a post about this). Or you can also use a scart switcher on one of the ports of the Avant.

I hope this can help you... 

• 06-17-2008 10:00 PM In reply to

I have an old 28"VHS Avant from about 1998 and have been constantly told that Apple TV will not work with it. Does this mean in fact it will? 

paddy2042 

Patrick

• 06-18-2008 6:59 AM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

paddy2042:

I have an old 28"VHS Avant from about 1998 and have been constantly told that Apple TV will not work with it. Does this mean in fact it will? 

paddy2042 

My Avant is also VHS and nearly 10 years old.  

I'm using the converter from S-Video (http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html). It converts the Component Output of AppleTV to S-Video or Composite. Works fine.

Arno

• 06-18-2008 7:02 AM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

pdoisy:

Just some more ideas... 

Is your decoder scart available on your Avant? In this case, you can use a scart adapter (cheap) to link the ATV using composite. I personally use this.

If the decoder port is not available, you could link the ATV to one of the VTape peripherals (for example HDR1, using Svideo or RGB) and watch/command the ATV through this device (there is a post about this). Or you can also use a scart switcher on one of the ports of the Avant.

I hope this can help you... 

My decoder scart is indeed available. I'll check this out.

Thanks!

Arno

• 06-18-2008 1:07 PM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Glad I can help you.

Make sure you get a adaptor for input (like this one: http://www.svideo.com/scart.html).

Some do have a switch to control input/output.

Also make sure the connector has a stereo sound input, as the digital coax inputs on the Avant are for VTape and AV ports only.

Then you can upgrade your Avant in order to control the ATV directly from Beo4! Ask your dealer.

Good luck 

• 06-19-2008 2:17 AM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

pdoisy:

Glad I can help you.

Make sure you get a adaptor for input (like this one: http://www.svideo.com/scart.html).

Some do have a switch to control input/output.

Also make sure the connector has a stereo sound input, as the digital coax inputs on the Avant are for VTape and AV ports only.

Then you can upgrade your Avant in order to control the ATV directly from Beo4! Ask your dealer.

Good luck 

Cool, I'll go for such an adapter.

Additional questions:
    - Is there a special reason to use the decoder scart input and not one of the others?
    - I would buy an adapter that offers also a S-Video (S-VHS) input. Do you know whether this will work with the Avant scart input? I read the scart input has to be S-VHS "enabled".
    - Concerning Beo4 control: Is this upgrade a software upgrade? I read something here in this forum about a version 4.7j but thought that was only for the US version of the Avant. I've no STB controller. Is this a requirement?

Thanks again for you help!

• 06-19-2008 2:53 AM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

I'll try to answer:

- Not sure I understand the question: if you have AV and VTape inputs already busy, then you are left only with the Decoder input... Otherwise, you can use one of the first inputs and use RGB signal which should be better compared to s-video and CVBS.

- If you use the Decoder input, according to the specs (http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=571), it is CVBS in/out only which means composite and not s-video. If you buy an adapter that has both, you must use composite to transport the proper signal.

- Yep, the optional STB controller is a requirement. You need to run an IR-blaster from Avant to ATV and if you don't have the IR-blaster plug you don't have the STB controller. Otherwise, this is a software upgrade done by replacing a chip in the Avant. Not sure for the version though. 

• 06-19-2008 3:15 AM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Arno, I read the topic from the top and I have just realized you might have an Avant VCR (with tape recorder). In this case, you should have only 2 inputs available for the ATV: Decoder and AV. The VTape input is already in use by the internal VCR (the V.Tape recorder input has no use for the ATV).
  • 06-19-2008 5:01 AM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

pdoisy:

I'll try to answer:

- Not sure I understand the question: if you have AV and VTape inputs already busy, then you are left only with the Decoder input... Otherwise, you can use one of the first inputs and use RGB signal which should be better compared to s-video and CVBS.

- If you use the Decoder input, according to the specs (http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=571), it is CVBS in/out only which means composite and not s-video. If you buy an adapter that has both, you must use composite to transport the proper signal.

- Yep, the optional STB controller is a requirement. You need to run an IR-blaster from Avant to ATV and if you don't have the IR-blaster plug you don't have the STB controller. Otherwise, this is a software upgrade done by replacing a chip in the Avant. Not sure for the version though. 

All questions perfectly answered for me.
    Again thanks a lot!

• 06-20-2008 2:56 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

pdoisy:

Yep, the optional STB controller is a requirement. You need to run an IR-blaster from Avant to ATV and if you don't have the IR-blaster plug you don't have the STB controller. Otherwise, this is a software upgrade done by replacing a chip in the Avant. Not sure for the version though. 

Or you could upgrade your remote Beo 4 with this: oneremote

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 06-20-2008 2:07 PM In reply to

• haa05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

pdoisy:
    Arno, I read the topic from the top and I have just realized you might have an Avant VCR (with tape recorder). In this case, you should have only 2 inputs available for the ATV: Decoder and AV. The VTape input is already in use by the internal VCR (the V.Tape recorder input has no use for the ATV).

So, now I have the Scart Adapter. AppleTV works fine on AV (with S-Video). But AV is occupied by the HD recorder. So I would like to switch the HD recorder to the decoder scart. But when I go the the sources menu in setup it shows only AV and I'm not able to define the decoder scart input. Any idea why?

I do not use VTape anymore. So an option could also be to use the VTape scart instead (was not able to test it due to a missing small torx screwdriver :-(. Or is the VTape scart special?

Thanks, Arno

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)