in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-14-2008 8:32 AM by Tom. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-13-2008 2:04 PM

Where does your digital media come from?

Wondering where everyone obtains their digital audio and video from.

I obtain over 99% of my music from ripping CDs (to control quality & eliminate pesky DRM)

As for digital video, I rip a few movies here and there, I've bought a few TV episodes off iTunes, but for the most part I use bit torrent to capture movies & television shows. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-13-2008 2:15 PM In reply to

Re: Where does your digital media come from?

isn't bit torrent vaguely illegal ? oh crikey !

i buy all my music from itunes and all my videos / blurays from amazon

games , i get from blockbusters or d/l from the psn store

apart from my dvd fuzz-o-vision™ copy of iron man

which i picked up from a nice chinese lady in my local pub

:) 

popgear is grate™

• 06-13-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

I'm old fashioned, I still buy CD's, either on internet or in the shop.
  • 06-13-2008 3:18 PM In reply to

• JoC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-20-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

All the music is bought on CD, then ripped, and the CD is stored for safe keeping.

TV shows & Blu-Ray rips are got from Usenet, bit torrent and the rest of the P2P software is too time consuming, and now usually blocked/throttled by the ISP. A typical TV show (eg the season finale of Battlestar Galactica tonight Smile) from usenet will only take 5+ or so minutes to download (tomorrow). Blu-Rays take a tad longer, but then 1080p rips usually start at 8+gb in size, 720p at about 4+gb.

All stored on a 4TB Raid5 NAS (with another 1.5TB on misc other drives), and all streaming to the BV7 via a PS3, sweet. Wink

I've started to buy more & more DVD's now, well since Tesco etall have started selling them from £3+, maybe I'll buy more Blu-Rays, but at £25+ for a movie, I think I'll wait a bit... 

• 06-13-2008 3:38 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Audio 

50% iTunes Store, 50% ripping CDs, both accessed through Mac->Beoport->Beocenter2

Video

Actually still buying DVDs, very few shows from AppleTV and the vast majority is simply timeshifted TV from Sky+ or free-to-air HDR1. 

• 06-13-2008 3:39 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

98% ripped from CD's,

2% iTunes Music Store

I want to own a physical item not just a computer file. No DRM & no format incompatibility, thank you. 

• 06-13-2008 8:02 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

The last 2-3 years all of my music has been purchased on line.  Now that Amazon is selling non-DRM material, and iTunes is gradually making more high bit-rate, non DRM material available, I've been very happy with the results.

I don't buy movies as a rule, I rent, if I can't find it on iTunes, I will break down and drive to Blockbuster Video.

If Sci-Fi were back on iTunes, and BBC had its Mac viewer done, my life would be complete. 

G5 iMac, Apple-TV, Avant/US, BeoSound 9000 and BeoLab 6000's.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-14-2008 7:29 AM In reply to

• Christian
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 626
    • Bronze Member

All my digital media has been downloaded from TDC Play, my cable company, which provides MP3 at no charge for their customers.

If I have downloaded an Album, and I think it is good, a buy the CD, either on the Internet (80 %) on in stores (20 %). When the CD arrives I delete the MP3s.

Christian

BeoPort, BS9000, Pentas.

Living room: BV7-40 mkIV + V8000, BL5, BL3, BM1 and BS9000. Bedroom: MX3000 and BL4500 on MCL2-AV. Around: PentaIII, CX100 and MCX35 on ML/MCL + MCL2-A, BeoPort and BL4 on ML, BS3300 + M75 as stand alone, BC6000 + BC600 and BT1100, LC1, LC2, Beo4, Beo5 and BL1000, BS2 and A8, EarSet2, Apron, Coffee mugs, Enamel Bagdes, Bath towel, Keyring, Books, Lots of miniature and the Bottle opener. Office: BC2300 + BL2500 and BS3. Summer house: BS Century.

Addicted? Oh no.... ;)

• 06-14-2008 8:32 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I rip every CD I buy and have my whole discothèque on my HD. 

Most of the music I buy is still on CDs. For classical and jazz, I only buy CDs, for pop and everything else, it depends. If I really like a band or an album, I will buy the disc, for all the rest, I buy it on iTunes or download it with Limewire.

I have never downloaded of copied a  movie. All my movies are on DVD.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)